Everyman crossword No 3,358

Posted by Stella on February 13th, 2011

Stella.

First of all, thanks to the Drurys and the Trafites for their 225 programmes, which make blogging so much neater and more elegent for an IT ignoramus like me.
It took me a while to get started on this, but once I did it all went in fairly well, except 14d, which I’d never heard of; answer provided by Chambers

1. That is to be presented by belted earl and duke in Edinburgh (4,6)
  AULD REEKIE   *(EARL+DUKE) +IE. I like ‘to be presented by’ as an indication for A is preceded by B, but ‘belted’ as an anagrind is a bit odd.
6. Shot in chest, a bombardier (4)
  STAB   Hidden answer
10. Hold and study article cast in metal (7)
  CONTAIN   CON + A in TIN ‘cast’ is only here for the surface
11. Female having the potential to succeed (7)
  HEIRESS   Cryptic definition
12. Attempt to get money out of don entertaining the crowd (3,3,7,2)
  PUT THE SQUEEZE ON   PUT ON = ‘don’ around THE + SQUEEZE = ‘crowd’. It took me a while to see how this works.
13. Bloomer over getting child in free (6)
  ORCHID   O(ver) + CH(ild) in RID
15. Jazz pianist making brilliant appearance, first to last (5)
  HINES   SHINE, with the S at the end.

Earl Hines

18. Winning a crown (5)
  AHEAD   A + HEAD
19. Motion initially to wife, inside playing music (6)
  MOTOWN   M(otion) + (TO + W(ife)) inside ON. Another complicated construction I took some time to see
22. You’ll need to get a round in before playing this dangerous game (7,8)
  RUSSIAN ROULETTE   An amusing cd. I imagine anyone who plays it has already had a couple of drinks at least.
24. Saying about young goat on deserted mountain (7)
  SKIDDAW   KID + D(eserted) in SAW. I’m not sure about ‘deserted’ as an indication for D, but Chambers confirms it.

Skiddaw, in the Lake District, is England’s 4th (or 3rd) highest mountain.

25. In which one may eat meals daughter and I take home close to nine (7)
  DINETTE   D(aughter) + I + NETT, as in ‘take-home pay’, + (nin)E. According to Chambers, it’s an alcove or other part of a room or kitchen set aside for meals. I think I had heard it somewhere, though I’ve no idea where.
26. Competition’s not finished yet (4)
  EVEN   EVEN(t), as in a ‘three-day event’, Princess Anne’s speciality
27. Plants in garden Shay cultivated (10)
  HYDRANGEAS   *GARDEN SHAY

1. Say yes to trust and agree to buy (6)
  ACCEPT   Triple definition, or am I missing something?
2. See lieutenant rounding English height in the distance (6)
  LENGTH   ENG(lish) in LT +H. Again, ‘see’ doesn’t seem to be doing much other than the surface reading
3. Get in touch about a church (5)
  REACH   RE + A + CH
4. Writer in West Germany – he collapsed (6,9)
  ERNEST HEMINGWAY   *IN WEST GERMANY HE.

Hemingway and sons

5. Lush, not dried out, and drinking up as we speak, it wouldn’t surprise me (1,8,6)
  I SHOULDN’T WONDER   *LUSH NOT DRIED around
7/8/9/8. A line that can’t be bettered in entertainment’s signature tune? (8,8,8,8)
  THERE’S NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOW (BUSINESS)   Cryptic &lit?. Thanks to Everyman’s timely visit to this week’s blog, I knew the intended word-lengths, as opposed to those published.
8. See 7
  9   See 7
14. Embarrassed, old woman producing drink containing meths (3,5)
  RED BIDDY   RED + BIDDY. According to Chambers, ‘biddy’ is a derogatory term for an old woman, the primary meaning of which is ‘chicken’ or ‘hen’, and a ‘red biddy’ is wine mixed with meths – not a good idea, IMO :)
16. A pass splitting the French in game (8)
  LACROSSE   A CROSS in LE. One of my first in, when I was beginning to think I would get nowhere with this

17. Industrial region – seediest, possibly (8)
  TEESSIDE   *SEEDIEST. Apparently, it’s a conurbation in the NE of England, no longer a county borough
20. Astute running secures bronze (6)
  STATUE   *ASTUTE. I think I´ve seen this anagram before.
21. Holiday in a secluded spot (6)
  RECESS   dd. Another familiar clue
23. Revolutionary line number brought over (5)
  LENIN   *LINE + N, or *(LINE N(umber)). At first, I took ‘revolutionary’ to be the anagrind, but in fact, it’s the definition

18 Responses to “Everyman crossword No 3,358”

1. EB says:

Thanks Stella and Everyman.

Very enjoyable as always!

I think 23d is more like:
    L = Line and ENIN is the number nine ‘brought’ over.

NB. A bit of your explanation for 5d has gone missing. ;-)

2. crosser says:

Thank you, Stella. Could you (or somebody) please explain why the word lengths in 7/8/9/8 are given as 8,8,8,8? (I didn’t understand your reference to “Everyman’s timely visit to this week’s blog”.) Many thanks.

3. Gaufrid says:

crosser
    See this comment.

4. crosser says:

Thank you, Gaufrid. I didn’t go on the blog last week and so missed the correction.

5. Robi says:

Thanks Everyman for the usual enjoyable solve and to Stella for a colourful, entertaining blog.

I wasn’t sure about the parsing of LENIN, but EH seems to have a good solution.

I hadn’t heard of RED BIDDY; I agree it doesn’t sound like a great idea, although this one looks a lot more appetising :)

I didn’t realise until I saw here that lacrosse originated in North America. Funny how it is only (?) played by women in the UK.

I think NOW (for ‘as we speak’) is missing in 5, as EB noticed.

6. Robi says:

Sorry, the link should be here

7. Robi says:

OK, I give up; just try this one instead: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lacrosse . The hypertext link seems to default to another page :x

8. Gaufrid says:

Hi Robi
    The problem with your two original links is that you had an extra /” at the end of the URL (possibly a carry-over from your Red Biddy link).

9. Robi says:

Thanks, Gaufrid.
    OK, just to prove I’m not completely stupid; it should be here

Thank you, Stella for a comprehensive and colourful blog. Comment has been made about Everyman sharpening his claws a bit recently, and there were one or two here I struggled to understand before your explanations: PUT THE SQUEEZE ON and MOTOWN in particular. All fairly clued as always though.

I’d never heard of RED BIDDY (my drink problem hasn’t got quite that bad yet) but guessed it and confirmed in the dictionary. To describe TEESSIDE as an industrial region is fair enough, but it’s certainly not as industrial as it was when I was growing up near there. I’ve seen it hyphenated as well – TEES-SIDE – but unhyphenated is more common now.

The wrong enumeration is so frustrating. There was another example in the Grauniad cryptic this week where it was shown as (6) but should have been (3,3). It was good of Everyman to drop in last week to correct it, but of course there’ll be a good many solvers who’ve never heard of 15sq (poor deprived souls) and would have been left scratching their heads.

Anyway, good puzzle as ever.

11. Bryan says:

Many thanks Stella for your wonderful analysis.

I really enjoyed this and it was certainly a very caring gesture for Everyman to visit 225 and post the corrections.

Thank you Everyman … I very much doubt if every other man or woman would have bothered to drop by.

You are a star!

12. Stella Heath says:

Thanks to all for your comments, and to Robi for practising your links to introduce me to a more appetising Red Biddy :)

EB@1, you may well be right. I think it works either way.

13. bamberger says:

I think it would be a shame if this started to get harder. There are numerous cryptics that cater for the more experienced but not so many that cater for the novice.
    I thought that auld reekie, red biddy , hines, skiddaw and dinette were very hard.

14. sidey says:

I wouldn’t worry bamberger, Everyman varies in difficulty. It’s not that long ago there were accusations of them being too easy.

bamberger, I think as sidey says, there have just been a number of slightly more tricky Everymans recently – I’m sure it’s not a deliberate thing. What I liked about the Everyman puzzle when I started to get back into cryptics a while ago is that it is pretty formulaic: I mean that in a good way, in the sense that you know you’re going to get a good sprinkling of anagrams to get you going; there will be two or three longer, multi-part clues with a familiar enough phrase cleverly clued; not too many cryptic definitions; and if there is a more unusual word then you’ll get very clear clueing and some helpful crossing letters.

So you know that every week there’ll be a good challenge, and the more of them you do, the more you’ll improve and be able to tackle some of the tougher daily cryptics. That’s how it worked for me, any road up.

16. DrDolittle says:

Can someone please explain to me the following

1) Where “CON” in 10 Across comes from ?
    2) I don’t understand 13 Across

17. Stella Heath says:

Hi, DRDolittle, in answer to your queries, ‘con’ is a synonym for ‘study'; and ‘orchid’ comes from ‘o’, an cricket abbreviation, followed by ‘r(ch)id': to rid or free someone of something)around an bbreviation of child. The definition is ‘bloomer’, ie. ‘flower’.

I hope this helps.

18. Stella Heath says:

I should have previewed that! :(