Guardian Quiptic 588/Pan

Posted by Pierre on February 21st, 2011

Pierre.

I thought this was a super puzzle from Pan – just right for a Quiptic, with everything clearly clued and some smooth surface readings.  It’s been mentioned several times since we started the Quiptic blog on Fifteensquared how difficult it is for a compiler to set an ‘easy’ puzzle, so well done to Pan today for producing this one.

Thankfully there were no Grauniad typos, wrong enumerations or missing clues today to spoil the enjoyment.  I have tried to give full explanations to help newish and improving solvers.

cd  cryptic definition
dd  double definition
( )*  anagram
anagrind = anagram indicator

THINKING
A charade of THIN (poor) and KING (ruler), and a witty start to the acrosses.

BRENDA
An insertion (covering) of END in BRA

10  GNAT
A reversal (rejected) of TANG

11  CANDIDATES
I needed some crossing letters to get this: it’s a charade of CAN (Canadian) DI (girl) and DATES (goes out with).

12  HAMMER
Hidden (stocked) in GrantHAM MERchant.

14  SMARTEST
Aries is of course the star sign of the Ram; so Arians are Rams.  Reversing (returning) this gives us SMAR and adding TEST (exam) gives us the answer.

15  MONACO
An anagram of (O MAN)* plus CO for company.  A really clever surface.

17  CEMENT
A charade of CE (Civil Engineer), MEN (labourers) and T (beginning to test).  Again, the surface reads very well.

20  SEASCAPE
My last one to go in.  It’s another charade of S (Saint) and an insertion (in) of A (Augustine’s head) in ESCAPE, to flee.

22  TITIAN
The famous painter is an insertion of I for island in TITAN, from Greek mythology.  Titans were members of a family of giants, the offspring of Uranus (Heaven) and Gaia (Earth).  They got into a bit of a spat with Zeus and came off second best.  That’ll learn ‘em.

23  REVELATION
Very clever: it’s a kind of cd, since if a clergyman was delighted, it would be a REV ELATION.

24  DOOR
It’s a reversal (back) of ROOD. ‘A crucifix, especially one stationed above the middle of a rood screen’ (SOED).  I wonder if Holyrood Palace in Edinburgh is derived from this meaning?

25  BEREFT
An anagram of (FREE BT)*.  The anagrind is ‘deal’, in the sense of dealing out (and therefore changing the position of) cards.

26  FLOUNDER
A dd.

1  PHANTASM
I couldn’t see this for ages, yet hidden answers are supposed to be the easiest to spot.  It’s tucked away in ElePHANT AS Mate, and this is indicated by the ‘of’.  A slightly unusual word, but since it’s staring you in the face, fair play.

KNIT
A charade of K for King, monarch, and NIT.

MINCER
An anagram of (CRIME)* with N for new inserted.  The anagrind is ‘organised’ and the insertion indicator is ‘to steal’.

ABDICATE
A charade of A (BID)* CAT and E for Earl.  The anagrind is ‘suspect’.

DEPARTMENT
(TEN TRAMPED)*  The anagrind is ‘around’.

ADDERS
I smiled at this one, but it’s a tad cheeky.  The definition is ‘snakes’: their partners on board are of course LADDERS; if you chop the head off this word you’ve got your answer.  The slight liberty in my opinion is the stretch from ‘executed’ to ‘beheaded’.

GANESH
A charade of G (first letter of gangster) and (SHANE)*.  The anagrind is ‘reformed’.  This Hindu god.

13  MINISTERED
(SIN MERITED)*  The anagrind is ‘awful’.

16  CHAPATTI
A clever charade of CHAP AT TI.  TI is a homophone of ‘tea’, a meal, and ‘heard’ is the homophone indicator.

18  TEA TOWEL
This is T (end of Oktoberfest) plus (WEE A LOT)*  The anagrind is ‘drunk’.  Interesting image that the surface reading provides …

19  BELIEF
BEEF, a complaint, surrounding LI (Light Infantry).

21  ELEVEN
EVEN (flat) ‘housing’ LE (the in French).  Pan has put ‘say’ at the end to indicate that a football team is just one example of an ‘eleven’.

22  TENDON
Hidden in frostbitTEN DONor.

24  DUNG
An insertion of N for Nitrogen in DUG.

10 Responses to “Guardian Quiptic 588/Pan”

Merci, Pierre, for a lovely clear blog.

As you say, a nice, straightforward puzzle for newer solvers, with some amusing story-telling surfaces, like the sideways reference to Mrs Thatcher’s father! :-)

2. Robi says:

A good puzzle, Pan; just right for the intended audience, I think.

Thanks Pierre for a good blog. I particularly liked BRENDA (nice to see BRA not clued as ‘supporter’ for once) and ADDERS.

Eileen @1; I guess you are referring to the Grantham grocer, rather than the drunk with a tea towel! :) As Pierre said, intersting image……

3. Robi says:

The image might be better if it were interEsting.

4. Stella Heath says:

Thanks Pierre and Pan.

I wrote ciapatti at first, ‘ch’ in Italian is pronounced ‘k’, and only used before an ‘i’ or an ‘e’, but the check button corrected me :)

Hi Stella

I think you’re thinking of ‘ciabatta’ [and I take your point: it amuses me when people thing they're being precise when they pronounce it 'chee-a-batta!]

Chapatti is Indian bread and is a Hindustani word.

6. Sil van den Hoek says:

As you said, Pierre, just as a Quiptic should be.
    Many thanks to Pan for that.

GANESH was my first to go in, the cleverly constructed SEASCAPE the last.
    Highlights, apart from SEASCAPE, were ADDERS (I do see your problem with ‘executed’ meaning ‘beheaded’, but they do these things in Crosswordland) and PHANTASM (which took me -relatively- ages to spot).

Not so keen on CAN DI for ‘Canadian girl’, but it’s OK.
    [Candi is a girl's name in its own right (eg the 60s/70s soul/disco singer Candi Staton]

And I almost made a mistake, initially entering VENERATION instead of REVELATION in 23ac.

Nice puzzle.

7. Derek Lazenby says:

At the risk of disagreeing with everyone, and as one who has the authority of being closer to the target audience, I found this on the tough side for a Quiptic, but there have been tougher. I can see why the rest of you like it though.

8. flashling says:

Sorry Pierre, didn’t get a chance to do this, might be tempted in future for the fun of it. Couldn’t get an Indy today or Grauniad to read on the train which was a tad frustrating. The “i” however had a crossword from “Empire” who I really don’t remember and couldn’t finish 2 or three (1 i’m not convinced of) left. Nicely blogged. Phil

9. Stella Heath says:

Hi Eileen, thanks for that. Indian culture seems to have pervaded Britain (as is only fitting IMO :)), but I missed out on the phenomenon. I hadn’t heard of Ganesh, either, but got it (him?) from the wordplay.

10. Angstony says:

Nice puzzle overall. My only (minor) gripe was the ‘tea’ homophone used in 16d: I regularly frequent curry houses and I’ve never heard chapatti pronounced like that; it has a much shorter vowel sound at the end, as in ‘patty.’