Financial Times 13,624 / Dante

Posted by Agentzero on February 22nd, 2011

Agentzero.

Dante, turfed out of his Monday spot this week, turns up on Tuesday.  As usual, there are some excellent cd’s (30 across, 1 down).  But I thought the best clues today were the double definition clues, which are becoming as much a Dante hallmark as cryptic definitions.  Standouts for me in this category were 28 across, 2 down, 5 down and 19 down.

1 MADE UP dd
4 IRRIGATE RIG (sails) in IRATE (angry)
9 RESUME *(ME SURE)
10 REAPPEAR REAP (obtain) PEAR (fruit)
12 ADHESION *(SO HE AND I)
13 TREATY EAT (take down) in TRY (attempt)
15 DARN DA (Soviet agreement) RN (Navy)
16 CORONATION CO (firm) R (king) O (appeal) NATION (country).  O = appeal as in “O! For an answer to this clue!”
19 BREAK COVER BREAK (turning ball) COVER (fielder in cricket).  Not sure about cricket, but in baseball a “breaking ball” is one whose flight deviates from a straight line as a result of spin put on by the pitcher
20 FREE *(REEF)
23 CALIPH *(PILCHA[rd])
25 DEFEATED FEAT (heroic exploit) in DEED (action)
27 LENT LILY cd; Lent is a time of fasting
28 BETTER dd
29 SPORTIVE S[econd] PORT (drink) I’VE (I have)
30 NEEDLE cd, with beautiful misdirection

1 MERMAID Another great cd
2 DISCHARGE dd
3 UTMOST cd, but this one is not all that cryptic.
5 REEL dd
6 IMPERIAL I (one) in IMPERIL (risk)
7 ARENA *(NEAR A)
8 EARLY ON *(ON A LYRE)
11 GO TO POT dd
14 FORESEE ORES (minerals) in FEE (charge)
17 IRRITATED RITA (girl) in *(TRIED)
18 SKY PILOT cd; a sky pilot is a chaplain, e.g. in the air force
19 BUCKLES dd
21 ENDORSE END (finish) OR (gold) S, E (points [of the compass])
22 SEVERE SEVER (cut) E (quarter [of the compass])
24 LINGO LING (heather) O (ring)
26 SLAV VALISE minus I.E. (“that is” missing), reversed

10 Responses to “Financial Times 13,624 / Dante”

1. Sil van den Hoek says:

Thank you, Agentzero, I think this was an immaculately clued (and blogged) Dante crossword. I have zero comments today.

And what a nice gesture of Mr Inman to give Dante the Tuesday spot this week as it is his birthday today!
    Or is it just coincidence?

Many Happy Birthday wishes, Mr Squires!!

2. crypticsue says:

Happy Birthday Mr S. A very nice crossword.

3. bamberger says:

Speedy solve except for
    4a wouldn’t have got rigs =sails
    10a Couldn’t think of reap=obtain
    27a I guessed lily for the second part but could only think of fast as rapid. Well misdirected.
    5d Didn’t know drum =reel or music =reel so failed doubly.
    6d May have got this with some crossing letters.

Best wishes setter

4. stiofain says:

Yea happy Birthday to all the pseudonyms of this great setter.

5. Nathan Jesurasingham says:

Happy Birthday Mr Squires. Thank you for the enjoyment that your puzzles have given me.

Nathan J.

6. Uncle Yap says:

Happy Birth Roger
    As expected, a fun puzzle even on a Tuesday

Can you please give Gordius a few lessons on how to create good cryptic definition clues?

7. tonyp17 says:

I love Dante crosswords and can normally at least understand the solutions.

Today though 15a stumps me. How does Soviet agreement become DA please?

8. Alan says:

For Tonyp17 @7.

Hope this doesn’t cross with anyone else. Da is Russian for Yes

9. tonyp17 says:

Thank you Alan. Have never seen the use of Russian before – seems rather obscure to me.

10. Rufus says:

Thanks for all the birthday greetings – much appreciated, although 79 is not much of an occasion! But I must be grateful for every year! Perhaps I must try and follow the great Araucaria in keeping going despite his work being so much better!