Independent 7,605/Dac

Posted by Ali on March 2nd, 2011

Ali.

Wednesday = Dac = it’s all good.

Some tricksy Down clues in this one I thought, but everything perfectly justifiable and well put together as ever.

1 SLIP-UP – PUPILS rev.
5 CROCKETT – ROCKET in CT.
9 DISCLOSURE – [-gir]L in DISCO + SURE
10 TEAM – TEA + M[-atch]
11 ADMINISTRATION – AD + MINIS + TRA[-c]TION
12 DOGIE – DOG (plague) + I.E
13 RICKSHAW – RICKS + H[-amper} + A W(ife)
15 DAUGHTER – (DUG EARTH)*
17 TABLE – Double def.
19 MOTION PICTURES – (IS INTO COMPUTER)*
22 PARR – PAR + R(ecipe)
23 BEST IN SHOW – (HE ISN’T + BOWS)*
24 FAREWELL – FAR + EWELL
25 MARKED – ARK in MED
2 LAIRD – LAIR + D(uke)
3 PECKING – PEC KING
4 PROVIDENT – (DEVON TRIP)*
5 COUNTERPROPOSAL – (CAROL’S OPPORTUNE)*
6 OMEGA – Hidden in fearsOME GAng
7 KITTIES – KIT + TIES
8 TRAIN FARE – TRAIN (school) + “fair”
12 DHARMSALA – HARM in A LAD’S rev.
14 CATECHISM – A (best possible mark ) in C(atholic) TECH (college) IS + M(ark)
16 GUTHRIE – GlUm + (REITH)*
18 BRUISER – 1 in BR(itish) USER
20 OMBRE – [-s]OMBRE
21 EVOKE – O.K in EVE

12 Responses to “Independent 7,605/Dac”

1. scchua says:

Thanks for the blog, Ali, and Dac for another easygoing puzzle.

Favourites were 11A ADMINISTRATION, 3D PECKING, and 16D GUTHRIE, referencing the father and son folk singers. Last one in was 12D DHARMSALA, easy enough from the wordplay, but confusingly the word itself has these alternative forms Dharmashala and Dharamshala.

2. NealH says:

I was a bit dubious about Dharmsala. I can’t find that spelling anywhere and in any case it seems to be a place rather than a building. I’d also never heard of a dogie, which unfortunately intersected with Dharmsala, meaning I spent quite a while getting those two. Other than that, it was mostly very good, although 1 across is probably a bit hackneyed now. 2 down was quite inventive and 11 had some neat wordplay.

3. Tokyocolin says:

Thanks Ali. This was all good as you say, except for 12dn. While the city in Himachal Pradesh is sometimes spelled Dharmsala, the uncapitalised word for the roadside ‘religious building’ only appears as dharamshala as far as I can tell.

4. nmsindy says:

Excellent from Dac as always. DOGIE and DHARMSALA were new to me too but I was able to get them from the wordplay. DHARMSALA is in Chambers. Thanks for the blog, Ali.

5. RayFolwell says:

Chamber’s has DHARMSALA

6. beermagnet says:

Rollin’, rollin’, rollin’. Though the streams are swollen. Keep them dogies rollin’. Rawhide!

7. scchua says:

Dharmsala, dharamshala, dharmashala – the Oxford gives all three with the same common noun meaning.

8. walruss says:

Odd to find these bones of contention in Dac. Perhaps they were ‘dogie’ bones??!! But a rare instance of Homer nodding I would say. Come back, Dac, come back!

9. nmsindy says:

DOGIE as I said in #4 was new to me, it means a motherless calf. In view of #8, it might have been thought I meant when I said that that I could find only DHARMSALA.

No, that was not meant at all. DOGIE is in Collins, so Dac has not nodded…

And, as I said, the wordplay led me to both of them.

10. flashling says:

The two 12s we tricky I felt, got the right answers but never heard the term before as for 12d wordpla left little choice but glad to see I was right. Certainly not a 5 minute job today for me though filling most of the 30 minute train ride (I do read some of the paper as well..) Thanks Ali for confirming 12a/12d for me.

11. ele says:

OK with dogie – thanks to beermagnet @6 for reminding me where I knew it from. Great series. Dharmsala was new and the last to go in. Thought 8d was very neat even though straightforward. Thanks to Ali for the blog.

12. Scarpia says:

Thanks Ali.
    All pretty straightforward except for the two 12’s,which were gettable from the wordplay.
    Thanks beermagnet,I now realise what the song was about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSHr4ubuD64
    Always thought it strange that a butch cowboy would sing about doggies!