Guardian 25264 Orlando – Rustic Romance

Posted by Uncle Yap on March 8th, 2011

Uncle Yap.

Orlando took us through the countryside for an entertaining morning’s leisurely walk without too much difficulty and accompanied by a bracing breeze.

ACROSS
1 INDICT ha
4 ESPOUSAL Ins of USA (country) in *(POLES)
9 ONLINE Ins of LIN (rev of NIL, nothing) in ONE
10 BEATIFIC Cha of BEAT (defeated) IF (although) IC (middle letters of sICk)
11 OVER THE RAINBOW *(OH NO REVIEW BRAT) that familiar song from The Wizard of Oz which was given a refresher during the recent Oscar night
13 FORECASTLE FORECAST (divine) LE (first letters of Lady Emma)
14 EDEN Eve’s first home (4) What a lovely &lit of E (first letter of Eve) DEN (home) My COD by a long mile
16 EARL (n) EARL (y), almost
18 IMPORTUNES *(RESUMPTION)
21 SUPERINTENDENT SUPER (great) + ins of DEN (place for thieves) in INTENT (bent)
23 OUTGOING dd or it can be said that someone retiring is going out
24 CONVEY Ins of N (name) in COVEY (group)
25 KEDGEREE Ins of EDGE (border) in *(REEK) for a dish of rice and hard-boiled eggs and cooked flaked fish
26 ISCHIA Ins of CHI (Greek character) in ISA (Individual Savings Account) Ischia is a volcanic island in the Tyrrhenian Sea, at the northern end of the Gulf of Naples.

DOWN
1 IRON Allusion to the Iron Curtain during the Cold War years
2 DELIVER dd
3 CONTRACT dd
5 SIERRA LEONE SIERRA (a European Ford car from 1982-1993)+ ins of E (first letter of Escort) in LONE (isolated)
6 OBTAIN Ins of TA (TAR or sailor minus R) in O (old) BIN (tub)
7 SOFA BED Ins of OF ABE (Abraham Lincoln’s)  in SheD (empty shed)
8 LACEWINGS LA (the French) C (first letter of Connection) EWINGS (the Dallas family … remember JR Ewing?) for a type of green or brown insect with two pairs of gauzy wings and brilliant golden eyes, which feeds on aphids, etc.
12 HIS EMINENCE Ins of EMIN (artist) in *(CHINESE) Honorific for a cardinal. Tracey Karima Emin RA (born 3 July 1963 in Croydon) is an English artist and part of the group known as Britartists or YBAs (Young British Artists).
13 FEEDSTOCK A tichy instruction to go feed the stock (use cattle cake)
15 STUDIOUS STUD (boss or a protuberance on a battle shield) IOU’S (promises to pay)
17 REPUTED Tsk Tsk Naughty ins of PUT (laid) in REED (tall grass)
19 NINEVEH Rev of HEAVEN (paradise) minus A + IN, ancient Biblical city
20 GROOVE What? A second time in rustic surroundings? Ins of O (love) in GROVE (trees) These two romances in the countryside made me smile. Thank you, Orlando
22 LYRA Ins of YR (year) in Los Angeles (LA, West Coast location)

Key to abbreviations
dd = double definition
dud = duplicate definition
tichy = tongue-in-cheek type
cd = cryptic definition
rev = reversed or reversal
ins = insertion
cha = charade
ha = hidden answer
*(fodder) = anagram

34 Responses to “Guardian 25264 Orlando – Rustic Romance”

1. molonglo says:

Thanks Uncle Yap. Leisurely walk, perhaps, but I got into a dense little thicket in the SE corner, and had to cheat with a thesaurus for 24a – impart. And again, googling constellations for the -Y-A of 22d: I see (from the 15squared website) the word is a favourite of compilers, but not in recent years of those in the Guardian.

2. NeilW says:

Thanks, Uncle Yap. As you say, not much to say…

I agree with you about your cod. By the way, I think OUTGOING refers specifically to the usage of the word as in “the OUTGOING president”…

3. Bruce says:

Thanks Uncle Yap
    Knew I had 13a, but couldn’t parse it, try as I might.
    Also had to cheat with 26a, being unfamiliar with UK banking products (there are several Greek letters with ‘H’ in the name).

4. Dad'sLad says:

Thanks Uncle Yap,

Nothing too taxing here. Had a strange sense that I could have answered this a decade or too ago such was the lack of topicality, Tracey Emin (late 90s) apart. Still I suppose there are plans to start filming a new series of Dallas – GHUA – so perhaps there may have been some intended topicality after all.

5. Geoff Chapman says:

A hint of topicality might have seen the Grauniad recognize International Women’s Day with a themed crossword. Oh well, next year maybe.

Entertaining puzzle, entertaining blog – thank you both.

Not too taxing, true, but plenty of good stuff to enjoy. I liked SUPERINTENDENT, HIS EMINENCE and NINEVEH today. The surface of 17dn had me laughing, but no doubt it will have provoked a harrumph or two from the more prim Grauniad readers, if there are such creatures.

Pleased to have the explanation of EDEN – I just slapped it in without realising the cleverness of the clue.

Thanks for the blog, UY.

Hi molonglo

Maybe we haven’t seen it lately the Guardian, but, in the FT Saturday prize puzzle of 21st February, Mudd [Paul] clued LYRA as ‘collection of stars having year in Hollywood’.

I think my favourite clue was NINEVEH – and I laughed at the goings-on in the long grass, too.

Many thanks to Orlando for another lovely puzzle.

8. tupu says:

Thanks UY and Orlando

A nice romp!

Well clued, even when I wasn’t quite sure of some words like covey, lyra and feedstock – but all gettable from clear instructions.

Incidentally (a small point) ‘feed’ need not be an injunction.

Some excellent clues. My favourites were 11 (a lovely anagram and reference), 13a (amusing use of forecast = divine), 21a (similarly nice use of intent = bent) and 5d. 14a was very neat indeed, and I understood the structure, but for some reason I have never been quite comfortable with the compactness of ‘& lits’.

As usual with Orlando a good set of smooth and some enjoyably misleading surfaces.

9. Geoff says:

Thanks UY and bravo Orlando.

I found this a lot trickier than previous contributors, thanks to Orlando’s very clever misdirections – I spent a lot of time puzzling over clues which I had misparsed.

18a takes the prize for the most misleading use of a question mark in a cryptic clue: it only serves to smooth the surface, because the def (‘is a solicitor’) is phrased as a query.

19d was great fun, but my favourite was 13a, for its clever construction and the allusion to Lady Emma Hamilton of Nelson association.

10. Roger says:

Thanks UY and Orlando, good stuff here today. Nice to see ‘ofabe’ instead of ‘abes’ at 7d for example, not to mention the alfresco hanky-panky (or romp, as tupu so aptly puts it). G readers prim, K’sD ? … some readers maybe but solvers perhaps less so ?

11. Robi says:

Thanks Orlando for a good one, with enough misdirection to make me think a while.

Thanks also to UY for an interesting blog. I needed your help to parse SUPERINTENDENT. The trouble with EDEN as a clue was that it just appeared as a quick crossword &lit, which could be banged in without any further thought (which is what I did!) No doubt you liked it for its subtlety. I preferred FORECASTLE and REPUTED, although I thought the latter was a homophone, which misLAID me (if you see what I mean.) Strangely enough, OBTAIN was the last in, as I thought it must have an ‘os’ in it and have something to do with docking. I eventually thought it must be AB in an Old TIN; not very clever – I’ll have to do some more homework.

I think Tracey Emin = YBA is apt, although my acronym might not be the same as yours.

12. Dave Ellison says:

Thanks UY for some explanations I needed. The top half went apace, after a slow start with 25a KEDGEREE and 22d LYRA being the only two in first time through. Bottom half needed three more gos before completion, 13, 18, 23 ac and 12 adn 3 dn being provoking. So I agree with Geoff at 9.

Enjoyable, however, so thanks Orlando.

13. Ian says:

Cheers to both Uncle Yap and an on form Orlando for a very good workout.

As has been already noted, two or three excellent misdirections which helped to prolong the solving time to over 1 hour in my case.

Covey (for Convey) a word I’m new to but that was just a case of checking Chambers. Lyra required a google consultation and Nineveh fresh in the memory from appearing in a crossword – I cannot remember which – about two weeks ago.

Oddly enough, Importunes was last in even though 50% was filled in: I just failed to read the clue properly and realised all to late that it was a simple *.

14. Robi says:

P.S. Anyone remember this:

Quinquireme of NINEVEH from distant Ophir,
    Rowing home to haven in sunny Palestine,
    With a cargo of ivory,
    And apes and peacocks,
    Sandalwood, cedarwood, and sweet white wine. (John Masefield Poet Laureate 1930-1967)

15. Ian says:

Yes Robi, I remember ‘Cargoes’ in the early sixties as part of my education in the Lit. class!!

Here it is in full :-

QUINQUIREME of Nineveh from distant Ophir,
    Rowing home to haven in sunny Palestine,
    With a cargo of ivory,
    And apes and peacocks,
    Sandalwood, cedarwood, and sweet white wine.

Stately Spanish galleon coming from the Isthmus,
    Dipping through the Tropics by the palm-green shores,
    With a cargo of diamonds,
    Emeralds, amythysts,
    Topazes, and cinnamon, and gold moidores.

Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack,
    Butting through the Channel in the mad March days,
    With a cargo of Tyne coal,
    Road-rails, pig-lead,
    Firewood, iron-ware, and cheap tin trays.

16. Carrots says:

Apart from inventing a new island, ISPHIA, (well, there are thousands in the Agean and one might be called Isphia) this was a very pleasant amble up several of Orlando`s garden paths.

Usage seems to be driiving what used to be two separate, or even hyphenated, words (ON LINE) into one. This seems to be happening to a couple of other IT terms, but I can`t, for the life of me, remember which ones. I`ll go and have a restorative gurgle and think about it.

Email, Carrots?

18. stiofain says:

And you are participating in one Carrots, blog was formerly web log.
    I too liked the paulesque romps in the hay.

19. Andrew says:

..also web site/web-site/website, e-mail/email

20. stiofain says:

….. modulator-demodulator / modem
    ….download?

Personally I visit a website, but I send an e-mail. E-commerce doesn’t seem to have lost its hyphen yet.

Thanks to Robi and Ian for the reference to the Masefield poem – definitely a childhood memory.

22. stiofain says:

Further to the Masefield poem I seem to remember Araucaria using the line
    “Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack”
    as one of his long clues in a prize xword once but cant find any reference in the archives.

23. FranTom Menace says:

We enjoyed today’s puzzle, totally fair and some clever surfaces. Didn’t quite get the lot though, with ‘importunes’ getting the better of us, neither noticing the anagram. Also missed ‘his eminence’.

I’m happy that I’m able to complete the crossword on paper again, I don’t have to put up with the terrible online glitches! I get the impression everyone’s just putting up with it silently now, having not seen it mentioned for a long while. It’s when you highlight an across clue, start typing and it switches to the down clue. Aaargh! Long live pen and paper!

24. Jack Aubrey says:

A pleasant accompaniment to the second half of the morning coffee after yesterday’s Rufus slipped down. Bracing breeze was certainly apt! The wind down the Forth whipped open the firedoor at my back at least three times while doing this one.

Looking out over the choppy sea while pulling the door shut (repeatedly) the revised lines came back to mind again:

21st century container ship heading into London
    Making slow progress for the weight she lugs
    With its cargo of contraband
    Illegal immigrants
    Automatic weapons and
    Illegal drugs

25. Martin H says:

re Masefield: how does a rowing boat get from Nineveh (never mind Ophir) to Palestine?

Nice crossword – I thought EDEN was a bit colourless, but the surface of SUPERINTENDENT was super, likewise SIERRA LEONE.

26. Carrots says:

Many thanks Eileen, Stiofain (lovely name!), Andrew & K`s Dad: Of course, after the first gurgle I had another…and quite forgot about the task I set myself. I`m grateful for helping me out. I wonder if the inreasing tendency to run words together derives from computers not liking spaces in addresses and HTTPs etc.?

Jack A: Are you a steamship or steam engine driver? How exciting!

27. RCWhiting says:

Thanks Orlando and UY. very enjoyable.
    I don’t think anyone has mentioned it but Chambers gives (archaic, old) iron = theatre safety curtain.(1 down)

28. molonglo says:

Hi Eileen @7 – noted. LYRA seems to appeal to compilers as it hides well in combinations like ‘disorderly ravers’ and ‘heavenly radiance.’
    Geoff @29: Dead right, 13a has a brilliant surface. Top marks, Orlando.

29. molonglo says:

Typo – Geoff @9 re Lady Hamilton backing divine crew’s quarters

30. Mick says:

Stiofan
    I remember the Araucaria crossword with that as an answer but not which one. Might be in his excellent book of puzzles?
    Love these blogs everyone – keep them up!
    And nice to see a setter popping in from time to time.

31. crosser says:

I wonder if the tendency to elide two-word expressions (often hyphenated) into a single word is (partly) due to the influence of American English? I have noticed that where British English has a hyphen, Americans often write just one word.

32. Carrots says:

Crosser: Good point, but I`ve always put this down to the fact that Americans are not good spellers. They are also masters of using twenty multi-syllable words when one precise one will do. I`d like to see `em hauled up at The Hague on charges of Crimes Against The English Language.

33. William says:

Carrots @26

I agree entirely – how exciting. Did you elicit a response from Cap’n Aubrey? Any relation to Patrick O’Brien’s hero, I wonder?

34. Carrots says:

`fraid not, William. I was wondering if he was on a “Puffer”…one of those small steamboats which established a supply chain to the remoter Scottish Isles. I always remember a (`60s ?) television series about the “Vital Spark” and it`s roguish Captain, Parahandie. They don`t make them like that anymore!