Financial Times 13,643 by Dogberry

Posted by PeeDee on March 16th, 2011

PeeDee.

A straightforward crossword today from Dogberry, though 1dn was a new word for me.   I liked 29 across best, which had me puzzling for a while.

1 CAPOTE Old Testament (books of The Bible) inside CAPE
4 EVIDENCE Anagram of DECEIVE and Newton (unit of force)
10 APPERTAIN PERT (forward, cheeky) inside A PAIN
11 FEMUR EM (printer’s measure of space) inside FUR
12 TORY pYROTechnical
13 INFLECTION L (learner driver) inside INFECTION
15 GIZZARD ZIGZAg* (curtailed = shortened) and RD (road)
16 ALMOST ALMS around O and Time
19 SINBAD Definition and cryptic definition
21 VINTAGE V (roman numeral) and EATING*
23 UNDERSCORE Cryptic definition (score = 20)
25 OBOE O inside OBE (Order of the British Empire = medal = slang ‘gong’)
27 IMBUE Incline Mountaineer Braves Up Everest (steep = to soak in something)
28 DOGMATIST DOG and IS inside MATT
29 HERALDRY HER (lady has) and AL‘s DRY (Alan has a dry sense of humour)
30 BANGOR Bishop GROAN*
1 CHANTAGE TA (thanks) inside CHANGE (a few copper coins)
2 PAPARAZZI A PAR (standard) inside PIZZA*
3 TURN Double definition
5 VANILLA AN inside VILLA
6 DEFACEMENT FACE (front) inside DEMENT (to go mad)
7 NIMBI IBM IN reversed – plural of nimbus
8 ERRANT Elizabeth Regina’s RANT
9 MAENAD MAD about ENA – follower of Bacchus
14 CAMBERWELL CAMBER (arching curve) WELL (fit and healthy)
17 SHAMBLING SHAM (false) BLING (jewelry) = proceeding inefficiently- ‘sham’ does double duty in this clue
18 BEGETTER EG inside BETTER
20 DECIDER DE (‘of’ in French) and CIDER – ‘goal’ as in a football match
21 VIRAGO A inside VIRGO (house of the Zodiac)
22 PUNISH IN reversed inside PUSH
24 DEBAR Baby (first letter of) inside DEAR
26 GAGA GAG in front of A – The ubiquitius Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta, who has been makng regular appearances in crosswords lately.

*anagram

Hold mouse over clue number to see clue, click a solution to see its definition.

14 Responses to “Financial Times 13,643 by Dogberry”

1. Bryan says:

Many thanks, PeeDee, this was a delight.

CHANTAGE was new to me, too, but readily guessable from the clue.

2. Bryan says:

I now see that the setter also travels under the alias of Shed in The Grauniad!

3. PeeDee says:

I didn’t know that. He/she’s more of a challenge with the Shed hat on.

4. bamberger says:

Got about half out and had to work hard to get them.
    1a The seemingly obligatory literary clue that I couldn’t get
    1d Never heard of this and I tried cominations of Cu, CID but failed and don’t regard it as “readily guessable” -but then I didn’t have 10a.
    9d Never heard of her and that didn’t help with 21d.
    21d Would someone explain how you get from maenad to virago, please?

5. PeeDee says:

Hi bamberger,

A Virago is an assertive loud domineering woman, so I guess the Maenads’ behaviour of drunken carousing, sexualy proclivity and eating raw flesh of animals (supposedly including men and children) could qualify them as Viragos.

Apparently chantage come from the french ‘to sing’ (if I don’t get paid to keep my mouth shut). Not a word I hear used often in our neck of the woods.

Thanks, PeeDee, for a good blog of an enjoyable puzzle – as you say, perhaps rather gentler than John Young with his Shed hat on. [See Crossword Who’s Who in ‘Best for Puzzles’ under ‘Links’, above.]

I liked 29ac, too – and also thought 21ac had a very nice surface.

Re 17ac: I’m puzzled by your ‘sham’ does double duty in this clue’?

7. PeeDee says:

Eileen, quite right, the sham comment is nonesense, I’ll delete it. Thanks for pointing this out.

8. Robi says:

Eileen, re. 17; I assume it might be because ‘bling’ could be synonymous with ‘false finery.’

9. PeeDee says:

Re identifying pseudonyms with the real people, I quite like not knowing too much about who does what puzzle. It preserves an air of mystery about the whole process.

10. PeeDee says:

Correct Robi@8, false finery = bling was the line I set off down on this clue, before backtracking and realising ‘false’ really stood in for ‘sham’. The first idea didn’t get properly erased from my brain and sort of leaked out again as I was writing the blog.

11. Robi says:

From mysterious Robi; I’m afraid I didn’t do this puzzle – just interested in the discussion. I always think of bling as fairly rubbishy jewelry, so thought I would comment.

12. gnomethang says:

Excellent puzzle where the last four clues kept me going for a good while before the copper fell.
    Thanks Dogberry and PeeDee. Nice to see MAENAD and GAGA turning up in the same puzzle – perhaps she would approve.

Hi again, PeeDee @8 – and Robi @10

Yes, I see what you mean – but ‘finery’, in itself, has always, to me, sounded artificial [and I’ve just looked up Chambers, which gives ‘showy adornments’]. I have to admit to having been beguiled by a bit of bling myself – it can be fun, especially at my age!

Re your comment 9, PeeDee: that’s interesting – I do like to know! :-) . I find it fascinating how all [I think] of the setters who supply puzzles for more than one publication covered by this site manage to present a slightly different persona for each. ‘New’ compilers appear, only to be revealed as old favourites, eg, most recently, Redshank, who burst onto this thread a couple of months ago and was outed as our old friend Crucible / Radian!

And, of course, it was great to be able to put actual faces to eleven of them at our January get-together in Derby! :-)

14. Sil van den Hoek says:

Thank you, PeeDee.
    As far as I can see in my ‘archive’, this is the first Dogberry puzzle since July 21th last year. His rentree was not as tricky as I had hoped for, but there is still a lot to admire – good variety in devices.
    I would call this crossword ‘deceptively easy’ for a Biggle – many words in Round 1, a much slower Round 2 and a final Round in which I had to ask my PinC (for the SW (PUNISH and the splendid HERALDRY).

I have the puzzle right in front of me at the moment, and looking at the clues again, I have to say that the clu(e)ing is so even (and faultless) that it’s hard to select a Clue of the Day. Although VINTAGE (21ac) and MAENAD (9d) come quite near.

I liked it.