Financial Times 13,644 / Orense

Posted by smiffy on March 17th, 2011

smiffy.

A few nice touches but, to be blunt, I couldn’t find an abundance of things to enthuse over today.  I shall be an absentee host today, as I’m travelling for much of the duration, so apologies if any corrections or questions go unheeded until very late in the day.

1 CANAPE – a in (C + nape).  ‘Scruff’ = nape, if you stick your neck out.
4 SALAMI – {roll}s + a la (French) + mi (a thing I call myself).
8 PREMIUM - pre + (I in mum).  Good to flag the definition-by-example with the proviso ‘may’.
9 CRYSTAL – trays* in C{ontinenta}l.
11 MAIN COURSE - the old maritime pun, albeit in the opposite direction than we normally encounter.  The ‘main’ part usually crops up in the clue itself rather than the answer.
12 ACID – Ac. + {sa}id.
13 RULER – rule + r{esponse}.
14 APPLE PIE – double def’n. re: apple pie order.
16 APERITIF - a + tripe* + if.  Not sure whether or not ‘dish’ is a novel or a non-starter of an anagrind.
18 CAKES – I’m sure everyone found this one a piece of cake.  No seconds for me, thanks.
20 MINT - double def’n.
21 MASCARPONE - (Macon + pears)*.
23 BARISTA – bar + (it’s a)*.   Nifty enough to be accorded clue of the day status.
24 DINE OUT – i.e. dine and Enid are anagrams.
25 DISHES – double def’n.
26 EGESTS - E + homophone of “jests”.

1 CURIA – curio, with the final ‘o’ changed to an ‘a’.  The Papal court.
2 NOMINAL – n{erves} + oilman*.
PLUTOCRAT - l[ine] in (Actor put)*.
5 AGREE – a Gree{n}.
6 ASSUAGE – sausage*.
7 INANITIES – (nan in, II = ‘individual’ = ones) + ties.
10 BREAKFAST – break + fast.
13 REPRIMAND – rep + r[uns] + admin*.
15 PACKAGING – pack + aging.
17 RETAILS – (art + lies)*.
19 KIPPERS – skipper, with the ‘s’ shifted.  Though the compass point (‘east’) doesn’t really jive for a down clue, and the fix was pretty obvious.
21 METRE – t[ime] in mere.
22 NOUNS - 0 in nuns.  ‘Sisters’ and love being the exemplars too.

6 Responses to “Financial Times 13,644 / Orense”

1. Rishi says:

smiffy

Re 16a: ‘Dish’ (v.) has the sense of ‘to outwit’, ‘to ruin’ (Chambers). Besides, Chambers Crossword Dictionary lists it under anagram indicators. So we may regard it as an acceptable AInd.

However, in the clue cited, it is not used as a verb and so that might be a problem.

Besides, is ‘tripe’ an adjective? Is ‘tripe dish’ idiomatic?

2. bamberger says:

Failed on:
    1d I knew what I was looking for but even with c?r?a I hadn’t come across curia.
    15d & 19d . This was not helped by an inability to spell mascarpone. First I had marsrapone but realised breakfast wouldn’t fit-so thought mascaprone was correct.
    26a Just couldn’t get it.

3. walruss says:

‘Dish’ is surely used in the archaic sense of ruin, but it is post-positional. That makes it harder to justify for me! And what a lame puzzle really.

4. gnomethang says:

I enjoyed this culinary feast and certainly can’t seee why it was lame. CURIA turns up a fair bit in puzzles.

5. Lenny says:

I sympathise with Bamburger. The Catholic church is so secretive that you are not supposed to know the names of its courts. I resigned in 1963 but I was just about able to recall the word Curia. In fact, I was puzzled by a similar clue in Monday’s Times. I was trying to squeeze Curia into a 4-letter answer when it should have been Rota, a Catholic tribunal that I had never heard of.

6. Scarpia says:

Thanks smiffy.
    I agree with gnomethang,a pretty good puzzle I thought with most of the acrosses and a few of the downs having a culinary theme.