Financial Times 13,648 / Gurney

Posted by Agentzero on March 22nd, 2011

Agentzero.

A fairly easy puzzle today frrom Gurney.  No special comments; the clues I liked best were the simplest ones, e.g. 31 across, perhaps because the surfaces of some of the others felt a bit contrived.

1 STROLL ST[reet] ROLL (some money)
4 FACTOTUM F (strong) ACT (performance) O[ld] TUM (corporation).  “Tum[my]” = “stomach” = “corporation”
9 LAMENT LAME (feeble) N[egligen]T (extremely “negligent”)
10 NARRATOR RAN (managed) reversed + RA (artist) TOR (hill)
11 LENDER SLENDER (thin) minus the initial S for S[mall]
12 PELL-MELL ELL (old measure) in PM + ELL again (“reappears later”)
13 DON dd
14 SONNET SON (relative) NET (goal)
17 RATTLER dd
21 REBATE DEBATE (discuss) with D[emocrat] replaced by R[epublican]
25 RAM R[iver] AM (in the morning)
26 ONE-LINER ON (concerning) E[astern] LINER (ship)
27 TEMPLE TEMPLATE (model) minus AT
28 THIRTEEN *(RITE) in THEN (at that time); thirteen is a cardinal number
29 MAOIST *(OMITS A)
30 RELIEVER *([d]ELIVERER)
31 METEOR *(REMOTE)

1 SELFLESS *(FEELS L[o]SS) (“love’s spurned” indicates that the O is removed)
2 RUMINANT U (upper-class) M[ale] IN (fashionable) in RANT (talk at length)
3 LINGERER MALINGERER (one feigning illness) minus MA (“mother’s abandoned”)
5 AWAKEN A W[ife] A KEN (range of knowledge)
6 TURTLE reverse hidden in fELT RUThless
7 TOTTER TOT (drink) + [bit]TER (half of “bitter”)
8 MORALE M[onsieur] ORAL (exam) E[nglish]
12 POST-WAR P (pressure) OST (East, in German) + RAW (inexperienced) reversed
15 TAN dd; TAN is short for TANGENT
16 HER HERO (idol) minus O (“lacks nothing”)
18 RELEGATE ER (Queen) reversed + LEGATE (ambassador)
19 SAPPHIRE A in *(SHIPPER)
20 DEFECTOR DEFECT (fault) + [w]OR[k] (“work’s core”).  The well hidden definition is “he goes over” (i.e., to the other side)
22 FOSTER *(FOREST)
23 SERIAL homophone of CEREAL (breakfast food)
24 VIRTUE R[adical] T[rade] U[nion] in VIE (struggle)
25 RED-EYE RED (leftist) EYE (homophone of “I”)

7 Responses to “Financial Times 13,648 / Gurney”

1. bamberger says:

Raced through most of this but would still be here until midnight getting
    1a I thought this was stroll and could see st but all I could think of was money =bread=roll which seemed a bit far fetched. How does money =roll, please?
    4a I knew tum =corporation from previous xwords but have never come across factotum.
    12a Even with p??l ?e?l and an idea that m had to fit in somewhere, I couldn’t see the answer and pell mell is not an expression I can recall coming across.
    5d Sorry-while I see the wordplay , why is the answer awaken?

This reminded me of some Daily Mail crosswords where you can rattle through most of it but can fail to finish because of a couple of incredibly obscure words.

2. Rishi says:

bamberger
    Re 5d
    “Cause to remember” is the definition for AWAKEN.I may have a child by a woman as a result of a fling. If I were particularly bad, I might forget the fact. Some day I may awaken to the fact – perhaps in a court case after a paternity test.

3. Rishi says:

Re 1d
    roll = wad of [currency] notes rolled together = money

4. bamberger says:

Thanks Rishi -excellent awaken explanation.
    I suppose that the roll is a bit like Harry Enfields “Loadsamoney” _”Look at my wad-I’ve got loadsamoney” =”Look at my roll”.

5. Rishi says:

bamberger

If I remember correctly, you often mention that certain words are new to you.

Pell-mell is a word that is frequently used in India, where English is only a second language or a language that is taught in school.

Similarly, even ‘factotum’ will be familiar to many. Maybe from the Raj days when the Company directors had punkah-wallahs, malis and other factotums.

I think that if Indians are familiar with many of the words that you think are uncommon it may be because they pick up these words from reading books – popular novels, if not literature.

For the same reason, the English that many Indian write may be stilted as they are not used to English as she is spoke.

6. Rishi says:

Let me rewrite the last para in my post above:
    For the same reason, the English that many Indians speak may be stilted as they are not used to English as she is spoke. And the English that they write may be bombastic.

7. Steve says:

I think that the definition for 25d is incorrect – a ‘red-eye’ is a late night / overnight flight. I accept that it may arrive early in the morning, but that doesn’t fit with the surface reading.