Guardian 25276 Orlando – French street-walker in Pakistan?

Posted by Uncle Yap on March 22nd, 2011

Uncle Yap.

A very pleasant solve and a good morning’s entertainment

ACROSS
1   ALL OF ME ME is the abbreviation for the state of Maine
5 SCREW UP dd when you tighten a screw cap on a bottle
9 OTHER (M) other, dam
10 TREASURER Treasure (prize) R (first letter of race)
11 CORNCRAKES Cornflakes (breakfast food) with CR (credit) substituted for FL (fluid) corncrake n a type of rail (Crex crex), of elusive habit and with a characteristic rasping cry, commonly nesting in hayfields.
12 HALO ha
14 ANAESTHETIC *(THREE IN A CAST minus Right)
18 ABERGAVENNY Ins of RGA (pRoGrAm) in *(NYE BEVAN) Abergavenny (Welsh: Y Fenni), meaning Mouth of the River Gavenny, is a market town in Monmouthshire, Wales
21 SETT dd “Brock,” an Old English, Middle English, and slang name for a badger
22 BRATPACKER Ins of *(PART) in BACKER (promoter) A member of a brat pack n a group of successful and popular young (usu teenage male) stars working in a creative field, esp cinema, with a rowdy, high-spirited image.
25 FORMALITY Cha of FOR (representing) MALI (African country) TRY minus R (Right again)
26 DITCH D (500 in Roman numeral) ITCH (yen)
27 LULLABY cd
28 TUTORED TrUsT yOuR hEaD

DOWN
1 AT ONCE Ins of C in ATONE (make amends)
2 LAHORE Ins of A H (hospital) in LORE (learning) What do you call a French street-walker in Pakistan? My COD if only for reminding me of this corny joke
3 FOR A CHANGE FORA (plural of forum, meeting place or square) CHANGE (money back)
4 EXTRA dd extra is one more run in cricket
5 STEVENSON ST (first and last letters of ShorT) EVENSONG (service) minus G (good)
6 REST RES (abbr for RESIDENCE, home) T (Time)
7 WARRANTY Ins of RANT (imprudent words) in WARY (cautious)
8 PERFORCE PERFORMANCE (show) minus MAN
13 THE YEAR DOT THEY ‘EARD (listened or heard without H, aspiration) OT (Old Testament defined as Genesis, etc)
15 ADVERSITY AD (notice) + ins of S (son) in VERITY. Surprisingly, my googling only turned up Vanity or Frailty, thy name is woman
16 PARSIFAL Ins of *(IS FAR) in PAL (mate, China plate, Cockney rhyming slang) Parsifal is an opera in three acts by Richard Wagner.
17 GESTURAL *(LUST RAGE)
19 SKATER SKATE (large edible kind of ray of tropical and temperate waters) R (first letter of Reardon who is actually a very famous snooker player, very hot during my time in UK in the 70’s)
20 ORCHID ORC (monstrous creature) HID (has kept dark)
23 TRYST TRY (have a go, a crack) ShoT
24 MAYA Rev of A YAM (starchy tuber)

Key to abbreviations
dd = double definition
dud = duplicate definition
tichy = tongue-in-cheek type
cd = cryptic definition
rev = reversed or reversal
ins = insertion
cha = charade
ha = hidden answer
*(fodder) = anagram

33 Responses to “Guardian 25276 Orlando – French street-walker in Pakistan?”

1. grandpuzzler says:

Thanks Orlando and Uncle Yap. Much easier go than yesterday’s Rufus. Needed your blog for the correct parsing of PARSIFAL. Must learn more rhyming slang.

Cheers…

2. molonglo says:

Thanks Uncle Yap, including for 3d’s ‘fora’ which puzzled me. Some pretty good clues including 18a and 13d, and a few weak ones (21a, 6d eg). Last in was MAYA, quite nice (I was looking for a -a-a tuber).

Thank you Uncle Yap.

A very pleasing puzzle, which I enjoyed. ABERGAVENNY and CORNCRAKES were my favourites, and once I’d convinced myself there wasn’t some teenage sensation called BART PACKER, then I liked 22ac as well.

If I fail to see ‘number’ as ANAESTHETIC just once more, I’m going to do myself a deliberate mischief.

For those that do both the Indy and the Grauniad, there’s a spooky coincidence in the two puzzles today.

Thank you for the blog, UY.

It’s always good to see Orlando’s name on a puzzle and this was certainly no disappointment.

18ac is a very fine clue, Abergavenny being only ten miles from Tredegar, where Nye Bevan was born.

I also had ticks against 11ac, which made me smile, 27ac, and 13, 16 and 19dn.

Great surfaces all round, as ever from this setter. Many thanks, Orlando.

[Hi Kathryn's Dad: coincidence spotted. I've seen all kinds of ingenious use made of that word in crosswords!]

5. tupu says:

Thanks UY and Orlando

A most enjoyable puzzle, teasing at times but very well clued.

I assumed in 17d that Verity is a woman’s name. Cf.

Re 21a. NB Sett is also a building BLOCK.

Lots of good clues. I ticked 5a, 11a, 18a, 26a, 27a, 13d, 16d, 20d. 19d also amused.

6. tupu says:

Sorry for 17d read 15d

7. Geoff says:

Thanks, UY.

Great fun, this one, with some very clever and amusing clues. Oddly (see molonglo @2), MAYA was my first entry – I don’t always start at the top! Quite a few subtractive and substitutive clues in this puzzle, but no complaints, as they were handled with skill and variety.

Difficult to choose a favourite, but the charade for 5dn is especially ingenious. My last entry was HALO, and prompted a laugh (‘headlight’, indeed).

8. Geoff says:

Re 21a, a SETT is a paving block, usually of stone and roughly cubic in shape.

9. tupu says:

Hi Geoff

re 21a. See @5 Yes you are right – a ‘paving block’. Careless of me!

10. Robi says:

Thanks Orlando for some good clues and to UY for his humorous blog.

Like KD@3, I fell over number again (more groans – last time it was ether.) I did like Ray Reardon as a SKATER – it is a picture worth remembering. See dracula in action here.

Didn’t quite parse 13; I thought it was something like THE YEAR DOTH with some strange relationship to Genesis. HALO was a cracker, and I just managed to remember china=PAL in PARSIFAL. Very entertaining solve.

11. liz says:

Thanks for the blog, Uncle Yap. This was very entertaining — my favourites were 11ac and the superb 18ac. I also liked 19dn. To my shame, I failed to get MAYA — was looking for a root vegetable!

12. Roger says:

Thanks UY. Agree with grandpuzzler that this fell out quicker than yesterday’s but was, like the Rufus, a lot of fun.

Knowing Verity from Ms. Sharp on the wireless helped with 15d … and breakfast won’t be the same again after 11a !
    (Probably too much of a stretch to link this clue with the classic Brat Pack film, The Breakfast Club ? … yup, thought so).

As an aside, I remember watching Ray Reardon at Wembley many years ago and having missed an easy pot, he sat down in the audience, handed his cue to the chap next to him and said something like “see what you can do !”. What a gentleman.

13. Dave Ellison says:

Thanks, UY and Orlando. Enjoyed this today, including the CD at 27a LULLABY. Why? Because “COMPOSING” doesn’t blare out at you; it is much more subtle, so I didn’t recognise the clue as a CD at first.

14. Angstony says:

Thanks Uncle Yap and Orlando.

I enjoyed this a lot, especially 14a and 19d. The only question mark for me is in 12a: how does ‘required by’ get to be a hidden word indicator?

15. Chas says:

Thanks UY – there were several cases where I needed your explanation in order to see why I actually had the correct answer.

I was tickled by the idea of Ray Reardon on skates!
    I was not impressed by 27 – how can ‘composing’ which is a process be ‘lullaby’ which is a noun?

16. tupu says:

Hi Chas

Composing is also an adjective. So a lullaby is a form of music providing ‘composure’ (rest, peace) for a baby.

17. yogdaws says:

Thanks Uncle Yap and Orlando

A genial little puzzle (sound like a pompous wine taster) with favourites being…

11a, 21a, 22a and 19d. Yes, Ray Reardon on ice. An image to treasure. Stage name: ICE CUE.

Until tomorrow…

18. Derek Lazenby says:

Hmmm, looks like a few of us will be doing self harm next time our Number comes up!

19. Roger says:

Hi Angstony @14 … quite literally, to make the words ‘such a lorry’ one requires (among others) the letters h, a, l and o.

20. RCWhiting says:

Very enjoyable.
    Last in was 21a – SETT. I was too convinced ‘Brock’s retreat’ was a reverse.

21. Wolfie says:

Thanks to Orlando for a very entertaining puzzle, and to Uncle Y for the blog. Some inspired clueing, I thought – especially Ray Reardon as a skater! I also enjoyed yesterday’s Rufus (and was not worried by the grammatical quibbles) so this already has the makings of a vintage week of Guardian cryptics.

22. Angstony says:

Hi Roger@19: thanks for the explanation. I can see it now, although I’m still not sure I like it. I felt the slightly cryptic definition made the clue hard enough, without making the wordplay so ambiguous. Oh well, the rest of the puzzle was excellent so I mustn’t grumble too much. :-)

23. Davy says:

Thanks UY,

A very entertaining puzzle from Orlando who always seems like a harder Everyman to me. Excellent clueing as we have come to expect although I think EXTRA has been overused recently and should join EMMA in the wilderness. Among many good clues, I liked HALO, ANAESTHETIC, STEVENSON, ADVERSITY and the humour of SKATER.

This puzzle was much more fun then yesterday’s Rufus which I gave up on as I was just plain bored with it.
    Thanks Orlando.

24. Martin H says:

Angstony – quite agree about ‘required’ as a ha indicator – doesn’t work at all, and Roger’s explanation doesn’t get us anywhere as far as I can see. I think ‘dipped’ might have worked.

Has ‘brat packer’, just so, two words, no hyphen, ever appeared in print before?

FORMALITY and TRYST, excellent.

25. tupu says:

Hi Martin H

I had a go at your question re puns. Not very satisfactory, but perhaps something useful there.

Hi Martin H@24

I can usually see where you’re coming from but I can’t see any problem at all with HALO being a required element of sucH ALOrry – nor how ‘dipped’ would better fit the clue?

27. Martin H says:

Hi Eileen – wasn’t intending to be opaque – I have to agree that the letters of ‘halo’ are part of ‘such a lorry’, but ‘required’ seems the wrong way of saying it, almost suggesting that they’re somehow missing. Nor is there any indication of anything being hidden. ‘Dipped’ was intended to extend the headlight theme – and something which is dipped is then surrounded or enclosed by something else. It might be clearer if the word order were, “Such a lorry has dipped headlight”. No? I feel tupu may be ready to spring, but would pre-emptively counter his attack by asserting that ‘dipped’ here is not the same as ‘scampering’ being ’round’ ‘camp'; ‘has’ sees to that.

28. Martin H says:

I’m also pre-emptively opting out of nit-pickers’ heaven on this one. It’s late.

29. tupu says:

Hi MartinH
    No intention of pouncing! On the other hand, I did take your plea for ideas re puns seriously and am sorry to see that I appear to have wasted your and my time on that.

30. Angstony says:

Hi Martin, and thanks for agreeing with me. I think your suggestion would have made it a far more satisfactory clue. I was actually thinking along similar lines – and came up with “Trapped in such a lorry’s headlight” – but I think the surface reading of ‘dipped headlight’ would have been better. I would actually go further than you and drop the ‘has’ from your suggested clue, as the pickpocket sense of dipped suggests ‘taken from’, which I think works just fine.

Hi Martin

Thanks for the response. Of course I see the ‘dipped’ meaning now – and I like your suggestion, too, Angstony.

32. Huw Powell says:

Not as much fun as I would have liked (am I complaining again?), but amusing nonetheless. Really liked MAYA.

1 is not good. “ALL OF ME ME is the abbreviation for the state of Maine” Yes indeed. But where does “all of” come from?

I found 25 to be clumsy (but solvable, in the end).

THE YEAR DOT. Solved, but what does it mean? Wikipedia was no help on justifying this. I guess it is some random British slang. Oh well, the price you pay for trying to solve TransAtlantic puzzles!

Anyway, thanks Uncle Yap for the explications, and Orlando for the quizzical exercise!

33. Roger says:

Hi Huw, if you’re still about … Me is the abbreviation for Maine … so ‘all of Me’ is Maine.