Independent on Sunday 1101 by Quixote

Posted by Uncle Yap on March 27th, 2011

Uncle Yap.

Another entertaining Sunday puzzle from The Don

ACROSS
1 DEPARTMENT Cha of DEPART (leave) MEN (fellows) T (time)
9 STET Ins of T (last letter of text) in SET (put) In proof-reading, a written direction to restore after marking for deletion
10 NEAPOLITAN *(on a plane it)
11 LAUDER dd for Sir Henry Lauder (1870 – 1950), known professionally as Harry Lauder, was a Scottish entertainer, described by Sir Winston Churchill as “Scotland’s greatest ever ambassador!”
12 CABLING Cha of CAB (taxi) LING (heather)
13 PIP EMMA PIP (boy) EMMA (girl) post meridiem, in the afternoon
[Formerly signallers' names for the letters PM] (cf ack emma)
14 ENCASH *(cans he)
16 ADVERT Ins of D (last letter of road) in AVERT (prevent)
18 RESPITE Ins of ESP (extra-sensory perception) in RITE (ceremony)
20 DISCARD Ins of SCAR (sign of accident) in DID (performed)
21 AZALEA Ins of ZA (South Africa ie Zuid Afrika; IVR) in A LEA (meadow)
22 SHANGHAIED *(he had gains)
24 IN ON Ins of O (nothing) in INN (pub)
25 RENCOUNTER Christopher WREN (architect, St Paul’s) minus W + COUNTER (board) for a chance meeting

DOWN
2 ENTRAPPED ENT (ear, nose and throat, a specialized field of medicine) RAPPED (hauled over the coal or severely criticised)
3 ANTIDEPRESSANT *(ten sad painters)
4 TANTRUM Ins of ANT (insect) in TRUMPET (musical instrument) minus PET with the def PET (for petulance) forming quite an unusual but neat surface reading
5 ERA Rev of ‘ARE (Cockney hare or hurry)
6 TROUBLE T (first letter of travels) ROUBLE (Russian money)
7 DISINCLINATION Ins of *(Sicilian not) in DIN (noise)
8 LANG ha Andrew Lang (1844 – 1912) was a Scots poet, novelist, and literary critic, and contributor to the field of anthropology, best known as a collector of folk and fairy tales
12 CHARRED CHAR (charlady, worker in home) RED (embarrassed)
15 STEVEDORE Ins of EVE (temptress in the Garden of Eden) in ST DO (street & party respectively) + RE (about)
17 TEACHER TEA (drink) CHER (French for dear) allusion to the start of classroom corruption aka giving teacher an apple
19 SO-AND-SO Ins of ‘ANDS (Cockney workers) in SOO (soon minus N)
20 DAHL DAH (rev of HAD, held) L (line) Roald Dahl (1916 – 1990) was a British novelist, short story writer, fighter pilot and screenwriter. Some of his better-known works include James and the Giant Peach, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Fantastic Mr Fox, Matilda, The Witches, and The Big Friendly Giant.
23 INN ha

Key to abbreviations
dd = double definition
dud = duplicate definition
tichy = tongue-in-cheek type
cd = cryptic definition
rev = reversed or reversal
ins = insertion
cha = charade
ha = hidden answer
*(fodder) = anagram

7 Responses to “Independent on Sunday 1101 by Quixote”

1. scchua says:

Thanks Uncle Yap and Quixote.

I think part of your 2D comment mistakenly got pasted onto your 1A comment: DEPART + MEN (“fellows”) + T(ime).

2. Uncle Yap says:

Thank you for pointing out the unintended error. It has now been fixed.

3. Wanderer says:

Thanks for the blog, Uncle Yap. This was, as you say, entertaining as always.

Quixote pointed out in last Sunday’s blog that this is to be his last outing in the IoS. So just in case he passes by here today: I have only recently discovered the IoS crossword (within the last few months) but since then it has become one of the pleasures of Sunday morning. Many thanks for the enjoyment you have provided and I look forward to more in the weekly paper.

4. nmsindy says:

I think that it is the puzzle today, 27 March, that is the last and this is signalled in the print edition. As one who has tackled all 1100+ of them since 1990, I can endorse Wanderer’s praise for the puzzle and am v happy that it will continue in the weekday paper.

5. Wanderer says:

Oops! Thanks for pointing this out, nmsindy, and I apologise for jumping the gun. The confusion arises because I do the crossword online a week late. The good news is that I’ll get to do another one next Sunday!

6. Stella Heath says:

Thanks for the blog UY, and for the information on Andrew Lang – I thought I was looking for a famous Scottish fairy :D

Re 25ac., the clue has “meeting as before” as the definition, which I would have written as ‘reencounter’. Am I mistaken, or has an ‘e’ somehow been lost, perhaps by analogy with French “rencontre”?

Thanks to the Don. I look forward to next week’s (for me) offering.

7. nmsindy says:

RENCOUNTER was new to me, but easy enough from the wordplay. I thought the ‘as before’ was to indicate an ‘archaic’ word as dicts suggest. Similarly LANG was new but gettable from the wordplay and easy to verify. Chambers Biog Dict v useful to check people, but I guess the Internet would have done the business too.