Independent 7,629/Dac

Posted by Ali on March 30th, 2011

Ali.

More staggeringly good stuff from Dac. You could take pretty much every single clue here and read it as a perfectly sound, elegant, standalone sentence. Some brilliant anagrams too, 7D being may pick of the bunch. He’s beaten me with 18A though!

1 TIDDLY – Double def.
4 SHOTGUNS – HOT + G(ood) in SUN’S
10 BRENTWOOD – (TOWN) * in (BORED)*
11 EDDIE – Hidden in limitED DIEt
12 EASIEST – ‘E + A SIEST[-a]
13 AVERRED – [-s]AVER + RED
14 DOUBLET AND HOSE – (BEATLE’S HOUND DO[-g])*
18 MAN IN THE STREET – The only one I can’t quite get – “Bloke fit to swallow a tiny portion, with rest prepared for later”
20 EARLY ON – EAR + LYON
22 YARDAGE – E.G A DRAY rev.
24 TUDOR – TU + ROD rev.
25 MINIDRESS – (IRIS MENDS)*
26 LAY ASIDE – LAY (amateur) + A SIDE
27 BRETON – Initial letters of B(accalaureat) R(ecently)+ ETON. Or are B and R accepted abbreviations here?
1 TABLED – TAB (bill) + LED (was first)
2 DRESS-DOWN FRIDAY – DRESS DOWN (reprimand) + FRIDAY (man servant)
3 LATTE – Hidden in bowL AT TEashop
5 HYDRA – H[-eroicall]Y + DR. + A
6 THE READER – E(nglish) in THREAD + E.R
7 UNDERCOVER AGENT – (RACEGROUND EVENT)*
8 STEADIES – (EAST SIDE)*
9 FORTIETH – TIE[-d] in FORTH
15 BONEYARDS – ONE + Y (unknown ) in BARD’S
16 ASSAYING – A S(mall) SAYING
17 EMMENTAL – E[-da]M on mENTAL (crackers)
19 NELSON – Double def.
21 NOMAD – NO + MAD[-e]
23 RIDER – Cryptic def.

16 Responses to “Independent 7,629/Dac”

1. spb says:

18 across was my last in. My parsing of it is that ‘fit’ = ‘meet’ swallowing ‘a ninth’ (tiny portion) with ‘rest’* (‘prepared’ being the anagrind). ‘For later’, I suppose, indicates that the letters from ‘rest’ come after ‘a ninth’, but I suspect it’s there mainly for the surface. The definition is ‘bloke’.

Thank you, Ali.

I loved this one, but found it really tough for a Dac. Took me ages to finish the last few, but as you say, the surfaces were a delight.

I think MAN IN THE STREET is MEET (an archaic word for appropriate or apt, therefore fit) with an insertion of A NINTH (a tiny portion) and ESTR, an anagram of REST. I think. This one, together with DOUBLET AND HOSE, proved the most difficult.

UNDERCOVER AGENT was brilliant, imho.

We crossed, spb!

I remember this sense of ‘meet’ from the King James’ version of the Bible and the parable of the Prodigal Son:

‘It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and is found.’

Etymologically it’s linked to ‘mete out’ and ‘measure’, apparently.

4. nmsindy says:

Yes, this was excellent, I also found it a bit harder than usual for Dac with MAN IN THE STREET very tricky. All totally fair and I was able to work THE READER out from the wordplay tho not familiar with it. BTW, I think 23D RIDER is a double definition. Thanks, Dac, and Ali.

5. scchua says:

Thanks for Ali the blog, and Dac for another staple in my crossword diet.

Favourites were 2D DRESS-DOWN FRIDAY, an early entry which kick-started the complete solution, 17D EMMENTAL, a nice misdirection with “Edam cheese”, and 18A MAN IN THE STREET.

Btw, 27D BRETON you’re right with the initial letters of “baccalaureat recently” as indicated by “introduced” and the “by” is to indicate “next to”.

To expand on nmsindy@4, a rider is one of those weights that you can slide on the arm of a (chemical) balance, from the days before digital weighing machines.

6. scchua says:

PS. Sorry for the typo Ali – calling you a blog!

7. walruss says:

Yes MAN IN THE STREET stuck out a bit, but it was a very good all round puzzle from the ‘surface supremo’!

8. flashling says:

Another seamless crossword from Dac, beautifully done, 7d a cracker. Nearly slipped up on Man in the street, by hastily not reading the clue and putting in man of the series. Thanks for taking the effort for the blog Ali.

9. NealH says:

I found finishing this off extremely difficult, with the connected clues 4, 6 and 18 being the toughest. 7D was a brilliant anagram and so apt for the answer.

However, am I the only one who hasn’t the foggiest idea what Obama is doing in 1 down? If he hadn’t been there, I’d have written it in straightaway. As it was, it was the last answer I put in.

Hi NealH

I wondered about that, too, at first, but I think it’s perhaps because tab = bill is more of an American usage?

11. NealH says:

I’ve heard the expression “pick up the tab” plenty of times in England as well.

12. Paul B says:

It’s a cigarette over here, courtesy Toon dialect (AIUI), and that’s bad enough.

13. kloot says:

I normally find Dac difficult, but this was a breeze. Beautifully constructed and a pleasure to solve.

14. ele says:

I got stuck on the bottom RH corner but enjoyed the rest of it. Can anyone enlighten me why rider for weight in 23d?

15. nmsindy says:

ele, that point (#14) is addressed in comment #5 above from scchua.

16. ele says: