Financial Times 13,652 by Bradman

Posted by Pete Maclean on April 7th, 2011

Pete Maclean.

Prize puzzle from the Weekend FT of March 26
Bradman is, as far as I know, new to Weekend prize puzzles but I am familiar with him thanks to his weekday crosswords. His puzzles can be tricky as he tends to use slightly more obscure words and meanings that the regulars. I found this puzzle reasonable easy except for the bottom-right corner where 27A and 23D stumped me for a while. I am still not quite sure that I have the right answers there and there is one other clue I am unsure about, 22A (SPAN). My favourite clues are 15A (DICTATORSHIP) and 17D (BEN NEVIS).

1. PHONEY – PHONE (call) + Y (yard)
4. SPOOKING – OOPS (I’m sorry) backwards + KING (ruler)
9. OSTIUM – OS (very big) + I[instrument] in TUM (stomach)
10. PROTEASE – PRO (professional) + GUY (tease). “Guy” as a verb can mean to make fun of.
12. REEL – homophone (“real”)
13. DECELERATE – ED (editor) backwards + CELE[b]RATE (make merry with book out)
15. DICTATORSHIP – H (hard) in anagram of ID TIP CASTRO
18. MANSION HOUSE – MAN (fellow) + anagram of IN SOHO + USE (employment)
21. DISCOURAGE -DISC (record) + OUR AGE (the times we are living in)
22. SPAN – SPAN[king]. “Span” can mean two of a kind and “spanking” can mean very big. I originally missed the “spanking” part — see comments below.
24. ITALIANS – anagram of LATIN IS [l]A[nguages]
25. SAT-NAV – VAN (vehicle) + T (time) + AS (when) all backwards
26. ENTOMBED – anagram of MEET BOND
27. SPOONS – SNOOPS (People going sneakily) backwards. I originally had SPOOKS for this.

1. PROTRUDE – P (quietly) + ROT (go off) + RUDE (offensive)
2. OUTREACH – OUTRE (fantastic) + A (a) + CH (church)
3. EMUS – hidden word
5. PORTERS LODGE – anagram of OLDER PRO GETS
6. OH THE RIGHT – double definition presumably. But drivers do not proceed on the right in the UK.
7. ISAIAH – IS (is) + AI (excellent — A1) + A (a) + AH (surprise)
8. GEE-GEE – double definition
11. REMONSTRANCE – RE (about) + MONSTRANCE (vessel used in Mass). A monstrance is a vessel used to hold the host in communion. I happened to learn the word just last year when I saw some ornate and beautiful examples in the Loreto in Prague.
14. SANATORIUM – anagram of AIR AMOUNTS
16. BUMP INTO – BUM (dissolute fellow) + PINTO (horse)
17. BEN NEVIS – IVE (I’ve) backwards in BENNS (Tony and Hilary)
19. ADVICE – AD (notice) + VICE (flaw)
20. ASKANT – AS (in the manner of) + KANT (a German)
23. CAMP – double definition

6 Responses to “Financial Times 13,652 by Bradman”

1. Sil van den Hoek says:

I was very pleased to see – for a change – Bradman on the Prize spot.
    As you say, Pete, it may be ‘reasonable easy’ but I was really very impressed by all those great surfaces, which were so natural.
    Moreover, when it comes to precision, Bradman is hard to beat.
    Even though, I am just like you still asking myself why 22ac must be SPAN.

My last two entries were exactly the ones you are not certain of (27ac, 23d). I think you are right about CAMP (=dd), but I entered SPOONS for 27ac. One of the meanings of to spoon is to court, and it is the reverse of ‘snoops’ [people going sneakily around, with around perhaps (?) doing double duty].

2. Scarpia says:

Thanks Pete.
    Usual quality puzzle from Bradman.
    Like Sil I entered SPOONS for 27 across.
    22 across – SPAN is half of spanking. Chambers gives ‘very large’ as one definition.

My favourite was ISAIAH.

3. Pete Maclean says:

Sil, SPOONS occurred to me but I failed to see ‘snoops’. I think that has to be correct and I will amend the blog accordingly. Thanks.

Scarpia, SPANKING occurred to me too! But I was unable to come up with a justification for it. So, thank you for finding that.

4. bamberger says:

I failed 1a,9a, 1d,2d & the ones mentioned in the SE ie 22a, 23d & 27a.
    Should have got 1a but hadn’t come across ostium.
    Outre =fantastic foxed me.

5. Declanor says:

While the ‘monstrance’ clue was not particularly difficult, it is not very precise. Wikipedia tells us that “A monstrance is the vessel used in the Roman Catholic, Old Catholic and Anglican churches to display the consecrated Eucharistic host, during Eucharistic adoration or Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament”. In the Catholic Church, the monstrance is not used in Mass, but in other ceremonies, such as Benediction and Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament.

6. Pete Maclean says:

Declanor, thank you for your comment. While I happened to know well what a monstrance looks like, I did not have a clear idea of how it is used and assumed that it was, as the clue suggested, something for Mass. I am surprised that Bradman (Don Manley) was not more precise about it — I know that he is a churchgoer so I figured he should know.