Financial Times 13,668 / Falcon

Posted by smiffy on April 14th, 2011

smiffy.

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K.  First, no puzzle available last night at the FT website and then no copies of the paper itself at my station this morning.  Online matters seem to be resolved now though, so let’s plough on with Falcon – who seems to have switched classes from his usual welterweight level to more of a bantamweight status for today’s bout.

1 PROSECUTOR - prose + Court* (‘High” in the squiffy sense).
7 DASH - d{ownpour} + ash.   The rhyming definition was probably a subliminal giveaway here.
9 OBOE - o[ld] in OBE.
10 TAKES HEART - take + s + heart.
11 SCOTCH - double def’n.
12 SIDESTEP - side (as in snooker/billiards) + step.
13 ANGSTROM - (Gram’s not)*.  A great surface, I thought.  An angstrom equates to one tenth of a millinanometre; or the standard unit for the distance that any racehorse that I back tends to lose by.
15 DILL - d[aughter] + ill.
17 EMMA – hidden.  Although you can visit the House of the Seven Gables if you ever find yourself in Salem, MA.
19 BRAD PITT - d[irector] in (bit part)*.  A clever spot by Falcon, but pretty easy once the checking letters revealed themselves.
22 GREEN TEA - teenager*.
23 DIGS UP - digs + up.
26 AIDE - a {s}ide. All the four-letter answers today were eminently solvable on inspection, I found.
27 REAR - double def’n.  …as I was just saying.
28 HIGH AND DRY - r[iver] in (dinghy had)*.

2 RUBICON - rub + icon.  The riverine one-way street of yore.
3 SWEET - wee in St.
4 CUT SHORT - cinematic/literal double def’n.
5 TAKE SOME BEATING - double def’n.
6 RESIDE - re: + side.
7 DRESSED UP = dress + dupe*.
8 SURREAL - sur{e} + real.  I thought this clue fell foul of the old (partial) wordplay/answer overlap problem:  i.e. the “real” part of surreal has the same meaning as ‘authentic’.
14 SKATE OVER - skate + over.
16 BANDANNA - band + Anna.
18 MARLOWE - mar + low + E[nglish]. Christopher/Kit, of that ilk.
20 THUNDER - t{own} + H[ospital] + under.
24 GRAND - double def’n. A pretty discordant note to finish on; more Bontempi keyboard than Steinway.

6 Responses to “Financial Times 13,668 / Falcon”

1. Bryan says:

Many thanks Smiffy

I was unable to get the online version until much later than usual but, when it arrived, it provided a gentle and enjoyable stroll.

2. bamberger says:

It was online at 06.25 this morning.

This was a rare unaided complete solve for me though I needed to come here for the 1a wordplay.

3. Joe says:

Thanks smiffy. Unlike the other one by Anax, this was quite a breeze for me, as I finished it in 20 minutes. A minor error in the blog: an angstrom is 10^(-10)m, so perhaps you meant it was one-tenth of a nanometre.

4. smiffy says:

Thanks Joe for the correction. Believe it or not, I did look up the definiton – as I only knew it as being a SI unit of some kind. Somehow the nano- got lost in translation, due to my inattentive typing!

5. Sil van den Hoek says:

Thanks smiffy, maybe I was still under the spell of both Anax and Araucaria but this one took me longer than usual for a Falcon.

Despite another EMMA and one more GREEN TEA, another accessible puzzle from one of the most constant Factors in Crosswordland.

I thought THUNDER (20d) was one of the best today because of its L&S device.
    And 1ac was worth a mention in that famous book “The World’s 1000 Best Clues” … :)

6. Richard says:

Thanks Smiffy.

I didn’t get hold of a copy of the FT until 7.00pm last night and didn’t start the crossword until 10.00pm, so was delighted to solve it completely unaided over a pint in the hotel bar. Just the right level of difficulty for me at that point.