Everyman No. 3367 (10th April)

Posted by The Trafites on April 17th, 2011

The Trafites.

Lorraine Morning peeps, I must say I thoroughly enjoyed this puzzle, up and running the moment I looked at it.

A couple of hard anagrams, 16ac and 7dn – but a very strange grid yielding very few clues. All in all very enjoyable, big thank you to Everyman for my Sunday morning enjoyment.

5. Parliamentary leader, oldest one in church (5,8)
FIRST MINISTER FIRST(oldest)+(I in MINSTER)
or is ‘one in church’ just a minister?
8. Settler on island wearing revolver (8)
COLONIST ON+IS in COLT
9. Location, we hear, for flatfish (6)
PLAICE homophone of PLACE
10. The sea prom’s polluted air (10)
ATMOSPHERE (THE SEA PROM*)
11. Good mimic may get one to stare open-mouthed (4)
GAPE G+APE
12. Fun meant Internet surfing? (13)
ENTERTAINMENT (MEANT INTERNET*)
15. Bell sounding? I must leave (4)
GONG some sort of play on ‘I’ leaving ‘GOING’
16. Fun galore I fancy in a Spanish resort (10)
FUENGIROLA (FUN GALORE I*)
this place HERE
18. Journalist travelled back to collect it (6)
EDITOR IT in (RODE<)
19. Referring to a head describing one who’s learning with little effort (2,1,5)
ON A PLATE ON(referring to)+A+(L in PATE)
20. Last drink of person going from one saloon to another? (3,3,3,4)
ONE FOR THE ROAD cd
1. Fredericks, say, involved in a run out from gully (6)
ARROYO Roy in A+RO(run out)
2. Lap dancer close to lascivious tourist (8)
STRIPPER (lasciviou)S+TRIPPER
3. Spot politician entering large building (6)
PIMPLE MP in PILE
4. Odd having left in choke (8)
STRANGLE L in STRANGE
5. Monopoly has started here since it first came out (4,3,4,2)
FROM THE WORD GO cd ref. ‘start from go’ in the board game monopoly
6. Sharing similar problems, like the three with Montmorency? (2,3,4,4)
IN THE SAME BOAT cryptic ref. to JKJ’s book ‘three men in a boat and a dog
7. Ran over short updated article being circulated (13)
RECAPITULATED (UPDATE[d] ARTICLE*)
13. United shot over during tie (8)
TOGETHER (GO<) in TETHER
here ‘shot’=’go’ as in ‘have a shot/go’
14. Restricted access here in sporting arena hosting ordinary match (2-2,4)
NO-GO AREA O+GO in (ARENA*)
16. Litter removed by bank (6)
FARROW FAR(removed)+ROW
17. Viking leader’s name for an undergarment (4-2)
ROLL-ON ROLLO+N
see this Viking

14 Responses to “Everyman No. 3367 (10th April)”

1. crosser says:

Thank you, Lorraine. Could you (or somebody) please tell me who is the Roy in 1d, (I haven’t lived in Britain for nearly 40 years, which could explain my ignorance) and why 14d has O+GO for “ordinary match”?

2. Davy says:

crosser,

The following is from Wikipedia :

Roy Clifton Fredericks (11 November 1942, Blairmont, British Guiana – 5 September 2000, New York, U.S.) was a West Indian cricketer who played from 1968 to 1977.

Thank you, Lorraine, for a clear blog of an enjoyable puzzle. I did smile at 1dn, since the surface is brilliant (because of course gully is a fielding position in cricket). I’m keen on my cricket, but I have to say I couldn’t remember Roy Fredericks, so it was one I put the answer in for first and then worked back to understand the clue.

crosser, I too wondered about the GO in NO-GO AREA. O for ordinary is common (for example O-level exams, now superseded by GCSEs. But GO?

4. Davy says:

Re O+GO,

The best I can come up with is “Go with” = “match with”. I’m sure tupu could do better.

5. bamberger says:

I had Prime instead of First for 1a which didn’t help my attempts to get 1,2 & 5d. I can’t imagine a more obscure clue than 1d. Never heard of Roy Fredericks or the answer.
    19a I’ve heard of “it was handed to him on a plate” but not “he finds Italian easy, it’s on a plate for him”
    17d I have heard of roll on deodorant but not roll on underwear and the only Rollo I’ve heard of is the chocolate covered toffee sweet that no one ever gives the last away.
    A mixture of the easy with one or two very tough ones.

6. The Trafites says:

crosser @ #1 – there are links in the blog, i.e. if you click on the name ‘Roy’ in 1dn, it will take you to the wiki page on Mr. Fredericks. Perhaps I should emphasis the hyper-links to make them more visible.

As to 14dn and ‘GO’, Chambers lists under numerous definitions of ‘GO’ as ‘to be compared or ranked with others’, which when I read it, it satisfied the ‘match=go’ wordplay.

Lorraine

7. Wolfie says:

Bamberger @5: I remember my mother owning a ‘roll-on’ corset – that would be in the 1950s. I believe it was made of some sort of heavy rubberised fabric and after being rolled-on it would compensate for lack of abdominal muscle tone. My little brother and I used to quarrel about who should wear it (as part of a suit of armour) while playing at knights of the round table. Neither of us grew up to be a transvestite however.

8. Robi says:

Nice puzzle and thanks to Lorraine for the good blog.

I suppose 1 had to involve cricket because of the gully reference. I do, however, get a bit fed-up by many setters being cricket-centric. A much more famous Fredericks is the Namibian athlete, Frankie Fredericks, and thus I thought the clue would probably refer to Namibia or somesuch. You need to get to page 4 of a Google ‘Fredericks’ search before getting to Roy (the most famous reference seems to be to a lingerie chain in Hollywood!)

Re 5a, I think Lorraine’s first parsing seems to be correct. Nice anagram for ENTERTAINMENT; and I liked TOGETHER.

Wolfie at no 7: that is too much detail for a Sunday, but thank you for making me laugh.

Robi at no 8: but where would cryptic setters be without cricket? ON, OFF, LEG, SLIP, GULLY, OVER, EXTRA COVER, POINT, STUMP, BAIL, CREASE, RUN, MAIDEN … You’re right, Mr Fredericks is a bit obscure, but I for one will forgive it because the surface must have been irresistible.

10. Sil van den Hoek says:

Thanks Lorraine, I’m still puzzled by 15ac’s GONG.

Just like you, I see something like “I leaving GOING”, but that’s surely nót what the clue tells me.
    The answer (must be: GONG) is only defined here as “Bell”, I guess?
    According to the dictionaries, I can’t find “Bell sounding” being GONG.
    Or is there an expression that one is going when the bell’s sounding?
    Or do I miss something?
    Or is it DONG …. ? :)
    Very unusual for me to have a ‘problem’ like this with an Everyman clue.

11. Robi says:

Sil @10, the solution is definitely gong. In my Chambers, it is also listed as a transitive verb meaning: ‘to summon, or call upon to stop, by sounding a gong.’

12. Sil van den Hoek says:

Robi @11, that more or less explains the first part of the clue, but I still don’t see where “I must leave” comes in.

13. Huw Powell says:

An odd little puzzle – I rolled pretty steadily and quickly through the NW, NE, and SW corners, although I had to use whiteout to get from PRIME to FIRST, and left DONG pencilled in. Then the SE was just a head-scratcher. ROLL-ON, NO-GO AREA and ON A PLATE were left in pencil, for various reasons. FUENGIROLA was unsolvable unless you had heard of the place – or got very lucky placing random vowels in the holes (or searched OneLook like I did using the checked letters…).

Bamberger @5, the “one who’s learning” part is just the clue for the L, “with little effort” is the definition, so your first phrase is what is meant, not the latter.

Now on to DONG/GONG… I assume the published answer is GONG. But there is just something wrong with this clue. “Bell” is the definition (not “Bell sounding” = DONG…) of course. So we have to figure out how “sounding i must leave” can be the wordplay. If a meaning of “sounding” was “going” it would be fine, I guess.

So I surely appreciate the blog, Lorraine, thank you!

14. rob says:

Tricky – I had never heard of 16ac but had to guess.
    1dn was too obscure so had to google.