Posted by Pete Maclean on April 20th, 2011
Prize puzzle from the Weekend FT of April 9
I was down on Cinephile’s last puzzle in this slot but he makes up for it with this one. I have a beef about 11A (BELARUS) but find several other clues to be rather good: 17A (DESIGNER), 28A (GROWTH), 5D (HOME SECRETARY) and 18D (SPINOZA).
1. RATTLE – double definition
4. CHEMICAL – C (caught) + HEM (border) + I (one) + CAL (state)
9. PRESS – double definition
10, 1. DOMINICAN REPUBLIC – DO (note) + MINI (small) + CAN (container) + PUB (inn) in RELIC (survival)
11. BELARUS – L (left) in BEAR (Russia so called) and US (America). Am I justified in thinking this clue is both rather clever, having a good surface at least, and seriously broken? The wordplay clues BEARLUS, not BELARUS!
14. DISCIPLE – DISC (record) + anagram of LP (long-playing) and IE (that is)
17. DESIGNER – SIGN (symbol) in DEER (animals)
19, 13. SEA LIONS – SEAL (authenticate) + IONS (charged items)
22. ROSSINI – anagram of SON and IRIS
24. AIR SHOT – AI (top class) + SH (don’t talk) in ROT (nonsense). This was the most difficult clue for me as I am not much of a golfer and don’t remember hearing of an air shot before. I understand now it is a shot where the club misses the ball.
25. PITLOCHRY – LOCH (lake) + R (river) in PITY (shame)
27. NORMANDY – NORM (one little boy) + ANDY (another little boy)
28. GROWTH – hidden word
2. TREE-LINED – LI (one pound) in anagram of ENTERED
3. LUSTRE – double definition. “Lustre” can mean a period of 5 years.
5. HOME SECRETARY – ME (me) + SECRET (confidence) in HOARY (the ancient)
6. MANTRAP – MANTRA (holy word repeated) + P (quietly). Have you ever seen a mantrap? I saw some in a museum once. They are among the most frightening things I have ever laid eyes on.
7. CACTI – ACT (function) in CI (Channel Islands)
8. LINGER – LINGER[ie]
10, 12, 26. DISTINGUISHED SERVICE ORDER – DISTINGUISHED (made out) + SERVICE ORDER (instructions for liturgy)
15. EYE SHADOW – YES (consent) with HAD (had) in WOE (trouble) backwards
16. PLUTARCH – anagram of HARP CULT
18. SPINOZA – IN (in) with OZ (Australia) in SPA (watering place)
20. DROP IN – DR (physician) + OPIN[ion] (most of what he says)
21. ARDOUR – homophone (“‘arder”)
23. SATYR – double definition. Satyrs are a sub-family of the family of butterflies called nymphalids.