Everyman No. 3369 (24th April)

Posted by The Trafites on May 1st, 2011

The Trafites.

Lorraine:  Morning all, Started quite well this week but soon came to a grinding halt until Nick came to my rescue.

Think my crossword head got up and ran off halfway through this weeks offering. All in all a lovely offering from Everyman as usual.

Big thanks to Everyman as always.

1. Learner driver with challenging manner reportedly in range (8)
LATITUDE L+ATITUDE
5. Bird, duck, in Loire, swimming (6)
ORIOLE O(duck, as in cricket) in (Loire*)
‘in’ makes this clue’s surface reading work by putting ‘O’ in the anagram of ‘Loire’ rather than starting with ‘a duck’ which would make the ‘in’ redundant
9. Sucker cast as pirate (8)
PARASITE (AS PIRATE*)
fleas et al
10. Aim to lodge a protest (6)
OBJECT dd
12. Deck, alternatively dock (5)
ORLOP OR+LOP
13. Learn cheat exploited sorrow (9)
HEARTACHE HEAR+(CHEAT*)
14. Laxative in a glass butler served (8,4)
GLAUBERS SALT (A GLASS BUTLER*)
18. Magazine, up-to-date says husband (3,9)
NEW STATESMAN NEW+STATES+MAN
21. Former inflationary measure – fish included in recipe for disaster (5,4)
PRICE CODE COD in (RECIPE*)
23. Keen to employ old dodge (5)
AVOID AVID around O(ld)
24. Moan about having to guard silver dish (6)
HAGGIS (SIGH<) around AG
25. Interrupted row on canal boat (6,2)
BARGED IN BARGE+DIN
26. Hat, good sort (6)
TOPPER dd
27. TV series open about king (4,4)
STAR TREK START(open)+RE+K
1. Circuit used by best computer (6)
LAPTOP LAP(circuit)+TOP
2. Excitement caused by the endless brook (6)
THRILL TH(e)+RILL(brook)
3. One up for trial? (4,5)
TEST PILOT cdd
4. Lots go here after prices fall (5,7)
DUTCH AUCTION cdd
6. Automaton, British in origin (5)
ROBOT B in ROOT
7. Closed small company at Inverness, say (8)
OVERCOAT OVER(closed)+CO+AT
8. Appeal of centre at Yonkers (8)
ENTREATY hidden: cENTRE AT Yonkers
dodgy clue with no indication of the hidden word
11. Actor in Jaws – meet star, unexpectedly (5,7)
JAMES STEWART (JAWS MEET STAR*)
a shame James wasn’t in the film Jaws
15. Article on German tanks turning up initially in a Norwegian port (9)
STAVANGER AN+GER after (VATS<)
16. Covers put over recently stolen picture (8)
SNAPSHOT (SPANS<)+HOT
17. Admitting boxer retired following win on races (6,2)
OWNING UP (WIN ON*)+(PUG<)(boxer)
19. Private, not one to join up (6)
SOLDER SOLD(i)ER
20. Leader in group, daughter sank off Baltic port (6)
GDANSK G(roup)+D+(SANK*)
22. Select English, low in calories (5)
ELITE E+LITE
000000000000000000

7 Responses to “Everyman No. 3369 (24th April)”

1. Robi says:

I sympathise, Lorraine. I started this last night while watching the TV, thinking I must be able to complete an Everyman fairly quickly; but no! (Maybe it was the red wine as well because I put NEW STATESMAN in 14 by mistake at the beginning, which didn’t help!) I thought this was unusually tricky with ORLOP, Inverness OVERCOAT, GLAUBER’S SALT all new to me. I got a bit stuck in the SW corner.

Thanks Lorraine for a good blog. I agree about 8; it would have been better to put ‘appeal IN centre at Yonkers.’ I didn’t like use of ‘on’ in 25; surely, this should be reserved for down clues?

Quite a few reversals – about being a tricky little word as an indicator for an anagram, containment or reversal as well as for ‘re.’ I did particularly like the STAVANGER clue though. I also enjoyed OWNING UP.

I will have to concentrate on today’s offering!

2. Davy says:

Thanks Lorraine,

Regarding ENTREATY, the indicator for the hidden word is ‘of’ meaning ‘belonging to’.
    I don’t see anything wrong with this. Excellent puzzle Everyman.

Many thanks, Lorraine. I know what you mean about your crossword brain going awol! I don’t remember this one being too difficult, although ORLOP was a little unusual and I hadn’t heard of GLAUBER’S SALT for about three decades. I liked ORIOLE and BARGED IN. For the latter, I think ‘on’ is fine; it’s ‘up’ I don’t like being used in across clues. For me it works in the sense of Henley-on-Thames: it just means that Henley is next to the Thames, like DIN is next to BARGE.

Agree though that ‘in’ would have been a better choice than ‘of’ for ENTREATY, since it would have read equally well on the surface, but frankly both work, and if that’s all we can get exercised about today it’s an indication that Everyman has given us another sound and enjoyable puzzle.

4. Bryan says:

Many thanks Lorraine

I failed to get GLAUBERS SALT although it now rings a distant memory. Not that I have ever tried it.

5. John McDonald says:

Lorraine —

13 across is not the anagram you specify. It’s LEARN = HEAR + ANAGRAM OF *CHEAT

6. The Trafites says:

Thanks, that was the typical ‘after the event’ rush blogging/typing – why one’s mind forgets what one did I do not know.

Lorraine.

7. Kevin says:

Thanks to Lorraine, and to Everyman.

I found this weeks crossword particularly tricky, it took me much longer than usual.