Guardian Cryptic No. 25,315 by Chifonie

Posted by PeterO on May 6th, 2011

PeterO.

Very definitely plain sailing, and none the worse for that.

1. French town’s brochure revised? Good! (9)
CHERBOURG Charade of CHERBOUR, an anagram (‘revised’) of ‘brochure’ + G (‘good’).
6. Make sense of some bad duplication (3,2)
ADD UP Hidden answer in ‘ bAD DUPlication’.
9. Mountain’s hard — one of the highest grade (5)
ALPHA Charade of ALP (‘mountain’) + H (‘hard’) + A (‘one’).
10. Discharge from English graduate society (9)
EMANATION Charade of E (‘English’) + MA (‘graduate’; a little loose) + NATION (‘society’).
11. People of fashion subsequently thwart explorer (10)
SHACKLETON Charade of SHACKLE (‘thwart’) + (‘subsequently’) TON (‘people of fashion’).
12. Starts to seem ludicrous under resounding disparagement (4)
SLUR Initial letters (‘starts’) of ‘Seem Ludicrous Under Resounding’.
14. Soprano gets each singer fish (3,4)
SEA BASS Charade of S (‘soprano’) + EA (‘each’) + BASS (‘singer’).
15. Snack becomes drier in hamper (7)
TOASTIE Envelope (‘in’) of OAST (‘drier’; a distinctively shaped kiln for drying hops) in TIE (‘hamper’). The definition: a toasted sandwich.
17. Consumed by one reclining in the studio (7)
ATELIER Charade of ATE (‘consumed’) + LIER (‘one reclining’).
19. Beg to keep southeast happy (7)
PLEASED Envelope (‘to keep’) of SE (‘southeast’) in PLEAD (‘beg’).
20. Removal of weight from golf club gives advantage (4)
EDGE [w]EDGE (‘golf club’) with the W (‘weight’) removed.
22. Arachnophobe to avoid blunder with alien (4,6)
MISS MUFFET Charade of MISS (‘avoid’) + MUFF (‘blunder’) + ET (the famous ‘alien’).
25. Ban Alec or Dicky in Spain (9)
BARCELONA Anagram (‘dicky’) of ‘ban Alec or’. I feel that the city (and football club) is well enough known to justify the loose definition ‘in Spain’.
26. Government interrupts total extermination (5)
PURGE Envelope (‘interrupts’) of G (‘government’) in PURE (‘total’).
27. Woman books for occasion (5)
EVENT Charade of EVE (‘woman’) + NT (‘books’).
28. Parade she organised from the van (9)
SPEARHEAD Anagram (‘organised’) of ‘parade she’.
1. Riding gear for men (5)
CHAPS Double definition.
2. Dana peels off by the seaside (9)
ESPLANADE Anagram (‘off’) of ‘dana peels’.
3. Ban old priests with convictions initially for witchcraft (5,5)
BLACK MAGIC Charade of BLACK (‘ban’) + MAGI (‘old priests’) + C (‘Convictions initially’).
4. Consume a smaller quantity? It’s of no avail! (7)
USELESS USE LESS (‘consume a smaller quantity’). Simple but effective.
5. Tackle in Indian state contest (2,5)
GO ABOUT Charade of GOA (‘Indian state’) + BOUT (‘contest’).
6. A crazy, upwardly-mobile architect (4)
ADAM Charade of ‘A’ + DAM, reversal (‘upwardly mobile’) of MAD (‘crazy’).
7. D stream in school (5)
DRILL Charade of ‘D’ + RILL (‘stream’). Definition: school as a verb.
8. Bird cooked around noon for correspondent (9)
PENFRIEND Charade of PEN (‘bird’; a female swan) + an envelope (‘around’) of N (‘noon’) in FRIED (‘cooked’).
13. Extreme sportsperson’s home on Jersey (4,6)
BASE JUMPER Charade of BASE (‘home’) + JUMPER (‘jersey’). Definition: one who parachutes from fixed positions – Buildings, Antennae, Spans (bridges) or Earth (cliffs). Maybe not on a par with cave diving, but close.
14. Marten eats fish that can be agitated (9)
SHAKEABLE Envelope (‘eats’) of HAKE (‘fish’) in SABLE (‘marten’).
16. Working party in time demand chief engineer (4,5)
TASK FORCE Charade of T (‘time’) + ASK FOR (‘demand’) + CE (‘chief engineer’).
18. It’s very expensive in old university in Russia (7)
RUINOUS Envelope (the second ‘in’) of IN O U (‘in old university’) in RUS (‘Russia’).
19. Attendant keeps donkey in the hall (7)
PASSAGE Envelope (‘keeps’) of ASS (‘donkey’) in PAGE (‘attendant’).
21. Shrub wound round pole (5)
GORSE Envelope (’round’) of S (‘pole’) in GORE (‘wound’, injure).
23. Rage makes Tory leader tear apart (5)
TREND Charade of T (‘Tory leader’) + REND (‘tear apart’).
24. Ridicule the first person in French street (4)
JEST Charade of JE (I, ‘the first person in French’) + ST (‘street’).

19 Responses to “Guardian Cryptic No. 25,315 by Chifonie”

1. caretman says:

Yes, very straightforward puzzle, solved in about 20 minutes. So why wasn’t 25 ac in the Fawlty Towers puzzle recently?

2. Bryan says:

Many thanks PeterO

I’d never heard of BASE JUMPER before. Otherwise quite straightforward … well almost too easy.

I bet Rufus is getting very worried about his hold on the Monday slot. Right Rufus?

3. Dad'sLad says:

Thanks PeterO,

Agree with comments above. Mostly plain sailing apart from 1d and 13d neither of which I’d come across before. 22d was my clue of the day provoking as much of a chuckle as I could muster after the election results….

4. Geoff says:

Thanks, Peter O.

Straightforward puzzle, but with a good variety of clue types and some good surface readings. 13d was my last entry as it took me a while to recall the ‘base’.

My favourite clue is 15a, for its use of ‘drier’ = OAST and an excellent surface.

5. Derek Lazenby says:

Yes, quite. Now for the serious business, building my poker bankroll!

In the meantime, I can’t say I would ever have thought of rage=trend. Thank goodness for the word play!

6. Ian says:

Thanks Peter.

A very pleasant end to the working week with a very good effort from Chifonie.

I’m pretty sure the experienced on this site will confirm that a fair few of these clues are retreads that have been round the block.

That said I took far too long to finish the last clue (24dn). Jest as a synonym for ridicule didn.’t come straight to mind.

Two commendable surfaces were 15ac and 16dn.

33′ to complete

Many thanks, Peter.

A quick solve, but all fairly clued, so as you say nothing wrong with that.

I thought MISS MUFFET was brilliant; it really made me laugh.

I think it’s Andrew who’s the attack dog for clues like ‘in Spain’ for BARCELONA (forgive me if it’s not you, Andrew!) but I’m not far behind. However, I think we had both better get used to it.

8. Matt says:

Kathryn’s Dad@7 – in this case, I think “in Spain” led to a misleading interpretation (by me at least) of “in Russia” in 18d, so it’s maybe a bit cleverer than usual. I have seen some dissatisfaction at “in X” here but think it’s OK in this case.

Nice and simple way to end the week. Thanks for the blog – I could not parse toastie no matter how I tried, although it was clearly the answer

9. Robi says:

Good Friday fun. Congratulations on not cluing ADAM and EVE as first man and woman for once! USELESS was clued by Arachne in March as: ‘Ineffective exhortation to inveterate consumer.’

Thanks PeterO for a good blog; nice to have the clues attached to save all the cross-referencing.

A simple dd, but I loved the clue for CHAPS. Of course, at the beginning I got misled by ‘French street,’ thinking of some wordplay with ‘rue;’ JEST was a good answer.

I particularly enjoyed TOASTIE and MISS MUFFET. PEN FRIEND is given as two words in Chambers and Collins, although I noticed that Aruacaria used it as one in July last year. It is listed as one word in my Oxford DOE.

10. RCWhiting says:

Thanks all
    Very (too) straightforward,so much so that I solved it waiting for an X-ray in a walk-in centre. An ironic title since most customers couldn’t.

11. otter says:

Coo, that was easy. I think that’s the quickest I’ve solved a crossword in some time – answers were going in straight away, held up for a few minutes at the end by 8 and 10, before I saw what was going on there. Quite welcome, because my brain hurts at the mo, so that was nice gentle exercise.

12. chas says:

Thanks to PeterO for the blog.

I struggled for some time with 8d because I was reading ‘cooked’ as an anagram indicator! I got there eventually.
    Equally, 21d took me some time because I was stuck on wound as the past tense of wind. Again I was eventually able to throw off the bad interpretation.

I liked Miss Muffet!

13. Brian Harris says:

Good, simple fare today.

14. Daniel Miller says:

Miss Muffet – clue of the day!

15. chris weeks says:

Well, it was OK but can anybody point me to a dictionary that contains the definition ? My 50 year old son says it is common knowledge (Hmm!)

16. Steve says:

Breezed through most of this today at work, but then got bogged down in the SW corner – so much so that I eventually gave up and checked here staring at the last 4 or 5 clues. All in all, a very enjoyable puzzle though, and like many others I appreciated MISS MUFFET…

17. Robi says:

Chris @15; if you mean arachnophobe, it is in Chambers: ‘a person suffering from an extreme fear of spiders.’

18. Huw Powell says:

I struggled to find a definition of “ton” as “people of fashion”, so SHACKLETON remained in pencil. Generally agree that this was a nice breeze of a puzzle, and that MISS MUFFET was inspired.

Thanks for the blog, PeterO, and the fun puzzle, Chifonie!

19. ernie says:

Thank you PeterO and Chifonie. Very nice. Like otter @11 I found it unusually easy.

Internet was off so this is very late. Son said unplug and replug: worked!

MISSMUFFET’s a lovely girl but too much reliant on dairy products.

JEST was last in for reasons already given.