Everyman crossword No 3,370

Posted by Stella on May 8th, 2011

Stella.

Unusually with Everyman, there are one or two clues I can’t quite parse, and a couple of (for me) doubtful definitions. I found this tougher than usual for that reason.

1. Ambassador visiting Caribbean island with 27′s mother (6)
  HECUBA   I’m not sure about this one. The island is CUBA, of course, but why does HE=’ambassador’?
4. In the dark I allow doctor to come in (8)
  IGNORANT   Insertion of NO (‘doctor’? – any suggestions?) in I GRANT
9. Even bits of nuts, lime, bananas, may make up a breakfast dish (6)
  MUESLI   * U+S (even letters of ‘nuts’)+LIME
10. Rapidly cut film sequence involving upper-class Veronese family (8)
  MONTAGUE   MONTAGE round U
12. One may not get a fair deal from me (9)
  CARDSHARP   cd.
13. Having original of Sunflowers in gallery causes a sensation (5)
  TASTE   S(unflowers) in TATE
14. Cheat merchant after large drink (6-6)
  DOUBLE DEALER   DEALER (=’merchant’) after DOUBLE
18. Common soldier is in play (7,5)
  PRIVATE LIVES   PRIVATE + LIVES (=’is’)
21. Prize in a lottery rejected (5)
  AWARD   A+reversed DRAW
22. Strengthen control by coercion (9)
  REINFORCE   REIN+FORCE
24. Newspaper round at home? (8)
  BULLETIN   BULLET+IN I’m not sure about ’round’=BULLET. It feels more like a series of them IMO.
25. Badger, tough short brute (6)
  HARASS   HAR(d)+ASS Nice misdirection – it’s a good description of the little fellows

26. Oat-pipes, remarkably suitable (8)
  APPOSITE   * OAT PIPES
27. Bully boy (6)
  HECTOR   Double definition

1. Murder in institution probed by one with police? (8)
  HOMICIDE   Insertion of I+CID in HOME
2. Terribly cruel act seen in black and white (5-3)
  CLEAR CUT   * CRUEL ACT
3. British also developed a missile (5)
  BOLAS   B+* ALSO This one took me a while to see, as I didn’t equate them with a ‘missile’, but I suppose they could be considered as such
5. RAF officer in class with ship’s commander (5,7)
  GROUP CAPTAIN   GROUP+CAPTAIN
6. Oxford University athlete, awfully shabby (3,2,4)
  OUT AT HEEL   * OU+ATHLETE Not an expression I’m familiar with, and although Chambers Online confirms its existence, it gives no definition. Perhaps it’s the same as ‘down at heel’.
7. Almost all of state capital is imposing (6)
  AUGUST   AUGUST(a), state capital of Georgia, if I remember rightly.
8. Ancient city in Egypt he besieged (6)
  THEBES   Hidden in ‘EgypT HE BESieged’
11. Pass duke speedily (4,4,4)
  HAND OVER FIST   HAND OVER+FIST(=’duke’, apparently, in old slang)
15. There may be sensationalism in lady’s initial undress, I suspect (9)
  LURIDNESS   L(ady’s)+* UNDRESS I
16. Gloomy, unused actors (8)
  OVERCAST   OVER (=’unused’? In what context?)+CAST
17. Fools brought before stipendiary, primarily, or judge (8)
  ASSESSOR   ASSES+S(tipendiary)+OR
19. Greek character one of three adults ejected from dance (6)
  LAMBDA   LAMB(a)DA    The Greek letter ‘l’
20. Whack barrier round front of pub (6)
  WALLOP   WALL+O+P(ub)
23. Celebrity pots first of reds in a game of snooker (5)
  FRAME   R(eds) in FAME

8 Responses to “Everyman crossword No 3,370”

1. Sil van den Hoek says:

That is a really nice blog, Stella!
    As to 1,4 and 24 (all across):
    - in 1ac ‘Ambassador’ is His Excellency ( = HE )
    - the ‘doctor’ in 4ac is Dr No of James Bond fame, but I’m not sure whether it is fair to clue him in ‘lower case’
    - according to Chambers a ‘bullet’ can be a little ball, something round (like in Microsoft Word, for example – thát thing).

Thank You & Everyman.

2. Mystogre says:

Thank you Stella.

I agree with your concerne re 6a. That is not the expression I am familiar with. I also appreciate the comments from Sil@1 re Dr No. I would have thought upper case necessary there.

Apart from that, a nice straightforward puzzle.

Thank you Stella, for a colourful blog.

I too remember finding this a bit harder than usual too – the phrase at 6dn I certainly have never heard of, but Everyman likes to clue some ‘quirky’ phrases, I’ve noticed.

For your query at 16dn, it’s OVER in the sense of ‘left over’, ie unused. ‘There’ll be some spag bol over for tomorrow.’

My favourite was FRAME – simple, but a lovely surface.

Good puzzle, thank you to Everyman.

4. Wolfie says:

An entertaining puzzle as usual from Everyman and a lovely blog Stella

The OED defines ‘bolas’ as ‘A missile used by the Patagonians and other S.American people …’

I don’t have a problem with ’round’ equating to ‘bullet’, though strictly speaking a round of ammunition comprises both the bullet and the explosive cartridge that propels it.

5. Davy says:

Thanks Stella for the great blog,

Yes, Everyman does seem to have got slightly more difficult recently and like with most crosswords, I always struggle over the last few. My favorite clues were IGNORANT (very misleading) and HAND OVER FIST. Regarding this clue, someone inviting a fight might say “put your dukes up” meaning fists. Also, OUT AT HEEL is indeed the same as ‘down at heel’ although I’ve never heard it used.
    Thanks Everyman for your consistently entertaining puzzles.

6. Robi says:

Well done Stella; nice pictorial blog. I liked your LAMBaDA link – good clue too.

Thanks Everyman; I had to look up FIST=duke – never heard of that. I, too, had never heard of OUT AT HEEL, rather than down at heel. Pleasant enough Sunday stroll.

7. Stella Heath says:

Thanks all for your comments, and for clearing up my doubts :)

8. Wolfie says:

Returning to the bullet = round point, coincidentally I have just been reading an account in today’s Observer of the assassination of Osama Bin Laden by the Americans: “He[Bin Laden]was shot twice, one round to the larger target, the chest, and one to the head.”