Everyman No. 3371 (8th May)

Posted by The Trafites on May 15th, 2011

The Trafites.

Lorraine: Good morning all, some nice clues here this week.

I thoroughly enjoyed this weeks offering. Big thank you Everyman.

There are two hyperlinks in this weeks blog, namely 2dn and 16dn.

1. Dominate on show (8)
OVERBEAR OVER(on)+BEAR(show?)
can ‘bear’ = show?
5. Pen note about one in block (6)
STYMIE STY(pen)+(ME(musical note) around I)
9. This animal could make worker run away (8)
ANTELOPE ANT+ELOPE
10. Reportedly vulgar passage (6)
COURSE homophone of ‘coarse’
11. Prepared to risk everything, so no other joint will do (4,2,7)
NECK OR NOTHING cd
14. Not included in special edition (5)
EXTRA dd
15. Touching, calling for forgiveness (9)
REMISSION dd
17. Spoil old lady and boy with English jam (9)
MARMALADE MAR+MA+LAD+E
19. Slip in left part of church (5)
LAPSE L+APSE
21. Make an unwarranted fuss, and duly rub mercer the wrong way (3,4,6)
CRY BLUE MURDER (DULY RUB MERCER*)
24. Slowly locking a shed (4-2)
LEAN TO LENTO(in music, slowly) around A
25. Appear suddenly, blooming after holiday (5,3)
BREAK OUT BREAK+OUT(flowers when in bloom)
26. I eat after one – duck? (6)
IODINE DINE after I+O
I (chemical symbol of IODINE) is the definition here!
27. Bird studied, we hear, at dawn (8)
REDSTART homophone of READ+START(dawn)
1. An examination in morality (4)
ORAL hidden: mORALity
are oral exams still used?
2. Formerly caught basking in shade, like the dodo? (7)
EXTINCT EX+(C in TINT)
have a read of this BOOK
3. Hood in Virginia following a cab, all agitated (9)
BALACLAVA (A CAB ALL*) before VA(Virginia)
4. Suitable nick (11)
APPROPRIATE dd
6. Fish off Turkey, seawards (5)
TROUT TR+OUT(seawards)
7. Swallow one gin and vermouth (7)
MARTINI MARTIN(the bird)+I
8. In Greece, men’s deceptive appearances (10)
EMERGENCES (GREECE MENS*)
12. Assumed name of rogue mender, criminal (3,2,6)
NOM DE GUERRE (ROGUE MENDER*)
13. Evil crime involved importing Latin pasta (10)
VERMICELLI (EVIL CRIME*) around L(atin)
16. Speaks about a son and daughter making a musical (5,4)
SALAD DAYS SAYS around (A LAD+D)
this musical -> HERE
18. Fox pelt said to be on a road? (7)
REYNARD homophone of ‘RAIN'(i.e. pelt(down))+A RD
20. Trellis made from a bulky piece of wood agent erected (7)
PERGOLA A LOG+REP all reversed
22. Divulge information got from head of language college (3,2)
LET ON L+ETON
23. A flighty creature up to some criminal activity (2,2)
AT IT A TIT(the bird)

9 Responses to “Everyman No. 3371 (8th May)”

1. Mystogre says:

Many thanks for the explanations. Although I solved it, I was not sure why some of the clues worked.
    I agree with your questioning in 1a. Bear does not mean show to me although I guess it could be from bear out.
    11a was a new expression to me and I am guessing TR is the abbreviation for Turkey in the EU.

All in all a pleasant way to spend a little time.

2. Bryan says:

Good morning Lorraine and many thanks.

Re 1a: Bear is, of course, a homophone of Bare which can mean ‘to show’ as in ‘Bare All’.

Many thanks, Lorraine.

Another good puzzle from Everyman, with some clever surface readings. My favourite, though last to go in, was IODINE, very deceptive.

I think ‘bear’ for ‘show’ works without the need for a homophone. It’s the sense of bearing a name or bearing a rank: ‘he bore the rank of commander’.

And yes, orals do still exist – Kathryn’s sister had one the other week! But these days they are just for those studying languages.

4. Wolfie says:

Thanks Trafites for the very clear blog.

Bryan – I’m not convinced that Everyman intended BEAR as a homophone of BARE. There is no homophone indicator in the clue. The OED gives one of the meanings of BEAR as ‘To display on a heraldic shield’. There is also the sense of how one bears oneself – one’s deportment (hence, ‘bearing’).

5. AJK says:

I thought the iodine clue was very good. A bit more difficult than the previous week’s puzzle. ‘Neck or Nothing’ was a new phrase for me.

6. Davy says:

Thanks Lorraine,

Another very entertaining puzzle from Everyman with favourite clues being STYMIE, LAPSE, LEAN-TO and ORAL.

Just finished reading your link to “A Dodo at Oxford: The Unreliable Account of a Student and His Pet Dodo” and its fascinating stuff. Thanks for that and thanks Everyman.

7. Robi says:

Thanks to Everyman and to Lorraine for a good blog. Very entertaining link to the dodo story.

I thought the clue for IODINE was very clever; I got caught by the I DINE=I eat trick before I sussed out the chemical symbol.

8. Tokyo Colin says:

Thanks Lorraine for another excellent blog. I thought this was a particularly entertaining Everyman, with some clever constructions and no obscurities. Many enjoyable clues but I think Iodine was my favourite too.

I took 15ac to be a charade, rather than a dd, with RE = ‘touching’, MISSION = ‘calling’ and ‘forgiveness’ as the definition.

9. rob says: