Independent 7,672/Tees

Posted by Ali on May 19th, 2011

Ali.

Great stuff from the Tees-er. I found this easier than most Thursday Indy offerings, but there was plenty of elegant wordplay and a good selection of the tools of the trade on display. 23D gets my vote for clue of the day.

No hidden messages or what-have-you that I can see, but I often miss them!

1 TIMES – M(onsieur) in TIES
4 MALLARD – MALL by a R(oa)D
9 ENTERTAIN – ENTER T[-r]AIN
10 NASAL – (ASLAN)*
11 TERMINI – TERM (session) IN I(taly)
12 NEUTRON – U(nion) in (RENT ON)*
13 TOT – Double def.
14 ESTONIA – TO N(orth) I(sland) in (SEA)*
16 HIDDEN – 1 DD (theologian) in HEN (feathery layer)
17 ENAMEL – swEet
19 START UP – I think this is STAR + PUT back (i.e. replaced)
22 EAT – Hidden in thEATre
23 ATHEIST – AT HEIST
24 RECYCLE – RE (on) + CYCLE (bike)
26 REALM – REAL (silver coin) + M(oney)
27 EDELWEISS – E(uropean) + (SEES WILD)*
28 AVERNUS – A(rea) + R(ight) in VENUS
29 YIELD – Double def.
1 THEATRE -TH[-r(un]EAT + RE:
2 MATER – MA[-s(on)]TER
3 SERBIAN – (BINS ARE)*
4 MAN IN THE STREET – Cryptic def.
5 LANGUID – L(arge) + AN (one) + GUID[-o]
6 ABSORBENT – R(upees) in AB (sailor) + SO BENT
7 DYLAN – (LYNDA)*
8 CAPITAL LETTERS – Cryptic def.
15 TENTH-RATE – TENT (red) wine + H(our) after T(ime)
18 MAIN MAN – Cryptic def.
20 ARCHWAY – ARCH (chief) + WAY (route)
21 PLEASED – P(iano) + LEASED
23 AORTA – [-p]ORT in A(lcoholics) A(nonymous)
25 CHILE – “Chilli”

16 Responses to “Independent 7,672/Tees”

1. NealH says:

I think something has gone wrong with your explanations for 23 and 24.

2. flashling says:

@NealH agreed, and 17 seems to be missing a bit as well.

Many thanks, Ali.

Those hoping for a Thursday toughie will have been disappointed, I guess, but I for one was happy to get a perfect example of ‘straightforward but good’ from Tees today. There were plenty of clues I liked today: good to see the world steam record holder featured at 4ac, and was pleased to learn a new word in AVERNUS.

I think we’re also missing part of the parsing in 17ac – there’s a reversal of LEMAN in there; and in 25dn it’s a double homophone – Chilli and Chilly, representing the hot and cold elements of the clue.

Pleasing puzzle, thank you Tees.

4. walruss says:

A copuple of others don’t look right either, but heigh-ho!! Great puzzle, lots of clever stuff in the wordplay as ever with Tees, and Indy puzzles generally. My COD is the visual joke with CAPITAL LETTERS. Thanks Ali & Tees-er.

5. Ali says:

Gah, sorry, I published the draft before Iā€™d filled everything in. Have updated them now, though I still need help with 17A

6. sidey says:

‘LEMAN’ reversed in 17a, it’s an old sweetheart.

7. walruss says:

‘Sweetheart’ for E then another kind of sweetheart reversed?

8. Thomas99 says:

15a-
    I don’t understand Ali’s parsing. As far as I can see it’s TENT (a – to me – obscure, archaic word for Spanish red wine) then ATE (consumed) after HR (for hour, or time).

17a
    Leman is more familiar to me, but probably only from doing crosswords…

9. nmsindy says:

Yes, that’s how I read ENAMEL too which was my last answer ie LEMAN reversed after the middle letter of swEet. Like others, I found this quite easy compared with some Tees puzzles of the past. The SW corner I found the trickiest bit overall. Thanks, Tees and Ali.

10. Mustyx says:

On the easy side, but an enjoyable puzzle. ‘Leman’ was new to me and ‘Avernus’ I’d forgotten if I ever knew it, but both eminently gettable from the wordplay.

A design query: why are the clues sometimes published in a serif typeface, as today, and sometimes in a sans font, like on Saturday and Monday? I much prefer the serif face myself, finding it easier to read.

11. Tees says:

Thomas the Ice Cream parses 15a correctly. Even though my TENT is not to his taste (God it’s horrible stuff). K’s D gets the Double Homophone Challenge Trophy. The only other clue I should probably comment on is THEATRE, where R for Romeo is removed from THREAT/RE.

Many thanks to you all, as ever, for the comments, and to Ali for his perceptive bloggery.

Just a word about Mike Laws, who has passed away: you were one hell of a compiler, Mike, and I for one (there are many others) am deeply saddened to see you go.

Tees

12. Thomas99 says:

Tees (11)-
    From the horse’s mouth! Many thanks for setting my mind at rest. I certainly don’t think I’d come across that tent before, but don’t mind learning something new now and again. I’m pretty ignorant about Spain. There’s been quite a “discussion” over on the Guardian site about “obscurity” today and I seem to be keener on it than some (I should admit I also used “Tent = red wine” as an example of something more obscure than anything Araucaria had come up with – even though at the time I didn’t actually know it was right). Thanks for the crossword – lots of good clues with about 3 that had me against the ropes for quite a while. 19 (Start-up) was pretty crafty! I think my favourite was probably 9a – Entertain.

13. Tees says:

Cheers T99. *Is* there still a ‘Guardian Site’? I thought they’d blasted it off to Hell in a handcart (GU Crosswords, that is).

14. caretman says:

Thomas @12:

I realized I’ve been too involved in crosswords when I see the beginning of your comment:

Tees(11)

and immediately find myself trying to parse the clue.

15. flashling says:

@Caretman tees(11) = pilesofsand? :-)

16. Mustyx says:

Yorick, Ikela, Fawley ā€“ we will miss you all. RIP MIke.