Mike Laws

Posted by Gaufrid on May 19th, 2011

Gaufrid.

I was very sad to read that Mike Laws, crossword editor for the Inquisitor and a setter under several pseudonyms, passed away last night.

Mike commented regularly on this site, particularly in the Inquisitor blogs, for over four years (that is to say since its inception) and his contributions will be sorely missed.

I’m sure we all extend our condolences to his family and friends. Tributes from those who knew him can be found here.

10 Responses to “Mike Laws”

1. Uncle Yap says:

I am so sad to hear of Mike’s demise. I met him at one of the London Sloggers & Betters sessions in a London pub and he struck me as a very humble person with such a quick mind. He tried to persuade me to start setting barred puzzles until I told him that on the few occasions that I tackled Mephisto and Azed, I would learn some 20 new words each time that I have never seen before and would never ever see again. Mike had a sense of humour and was so very knowledgeable about things. In the few minutes that I spent talking to him, he made an indelible impression. I think the World of Crosswords will miss him sorely.

2. Tees says:

Hear hear. A very gifted man, and one of the great characters.

3. Quixote etc. says:

Mike was one of my oldest crossword friends, going back to the 70s when we both set for Games and Puzzles. All very sad. Could someone put a notice on Times for The Times please? Don Manley

4. HolyGhost says:

In January this year, Mike initiated a dialogue in which he & I discussed putting together a complete index to all the puzzles that have appeared in the Independent weekend magazine over the last two or three decades. We’d made a fair start – I hope this project hasn’t died with him: it would be a fitting tribute.

We’ll miss him.

5. flashling says:

Very sad only met him once at the s&b about this time last year when he spent ages trying to get me to do the inquistor. Lovely bloke who I’d hope to meet next week. A great loss indeed.

6. Paul says:

Mike, we are sorry to lose you.

You proved a great bloke to be around, and passionately supportive of quality crosswords.

My condolences to your nearest and dearest.

With very best wishes.

John

7. Conrad Cork says:

Amen to all the above.

8. Handel says:

Very sad news. Laura and I met Mike last year at a sloggers and betters, and our impressions echo those of others here: a kind and gentle man with infectious enthusiasm for all things crossword and a razor-sharp mind. A real character who will be much missed.

9. dac says:

I was very sorry to learn this news. Like Don, I knew Mike in the 70s: he and I would sometimes ‘test-drive’ each other’s puzzles for “Games and Puzzles” (he was Jude in those days). Later, when he was editor of the Times Jumbo, he invited me to submit puzzles, and later took me on as a compiler for the daily Times puzzle too: so I have much to be grateful for to Mike. As many others have said, he will be missed.

10. Pelham Barton says:

Sorry to hear this. His columns in the 1990s attempt to revive Games and Puzzles were by far the best part of that magazine.