Everyman No. 3373 (22nd May)

Posted by The Trafites on May 29th, 2011

The Trafites.

Lorraine:  Good morning fellow solvers.

This puzzle was not as easy to solve as in other weeks as I usually manage to crack the clues quite quickly, but this one seemed to take me an age to finish; I was stuck for a while until Nick came to my rescue and put a couple in for me. I was then able to continue and finish, thus making this Everyman most enjoyable as everyone or most puzzlers like a challenge.

Thank you very much Everyman and keep them coming.

1. Identify one abbreviated US state (11)
CONNECTICUT CONNECT+I+CUT
9. Bell tower in barracks by a river in Africa (9)
CAMPANILE CAMP+A+NILE
10. Saw a daughter decline (5)
ADAGE A+D+AGE
saw=adage is an old chestnut couple in cryptic crosswords
11. Man staff caught out (4)
ROOK (c)ROOK
12. Jazz pianist’s number I put in post (5,5)
COUNT BASIE COUNT+(I in BASE)
14. Replace wonderful watch studded with diamonds (9)
SUPERSEDE SUPER+(D in SEE)
15. Nonsense written about origins of Orkney and Shetland tidal current (5)
ROOST O(rkney)+S(hetland) in ROT
clever clue, as a ‘roost’ is a tidal race in Orkney and Sheland
16. Sketch front of nightclub that’s closed (5)
DRAWN DRAW+N(ightclub)
closed as in curtains
17. Music-makers playing in scarlet (9)
CLARINETS (IN SCARLET*)
20. Flat in which Frenchman entertains girlfriend? (4-1-5)
PIED-A-TERRE DATE in PIERRE
a dwelling kept for secondary accommodation etc.
21. Deer concealed crossing far side of plantation (4)
HIND (plantatio)N in HID
a ‘hind’ is the female of the red deer
23. Blade’s small talk (5)
SWORD S+WORD
24. Carry out a utensil (9)
IMPLEMENT dd
25. More considerate, old patrolman in part of the Peak District (6,5)
KINDER SCOUT KINDER+SCOUT(old patrolman)
this place -> HERE
1. In which to make a note of run-of-the-mill reserve? (11,4)
COMMONPLACE BOOK COMMONPLACE+BOOK(reserve)
2. Note organ close by (4)
NEAR N+EAR
3. Typical example of European religious book (7)
EPITOME E+PI(religious)+TOME
4. Couple adopting tiny new child (7)
TWEENIE (WEE+N) in TIE(couple)
I couldn’t find this word in any dictionary, but the Internet reveals it in now established in urban jargon/language (and with other demeaning definitions)
5. Room temperature, cool for a burgundy? (10)
CHAMBERTIN CHAMBER(room)+T+IN(cool, with-it)
6. It’s better now you’re talking (5,4,4,2)
THATS MORE LIKE IT cdd
7. He drowned in the Aegean, one tenor after love spurned (6)
ICARUS I+CARUS(o)
plunged into the sea after his wax wings melted – see also this tenor -> HERE
8. Desert fault (6)
DEFECT dd
13. Group in golf club on first (4,6)
IRON MAIDEN IRON+MAIDEN(first, as in maiden voyage)
heavy metal rock band -> Iron Maiden. Play it LOUD
16. Oust extremely demure model (6)
DEPOSE D(emur)E+POSE
17. Pharmacist’s short eastern dress (7)
CHEMISE CHEMIS(t)+E
18. With reference to a shore, very large (7)
APROPOS A+PROP(shore up)+OS(outsize, very large)
19. Not very exciting appointment in the Kent area? (6)
SEDATE pun on SE(southeast, Kent area)+DATE
22. Freezer on? There’s nothing in it! (4)
ZERO hidden: freeZER On
….

10 Responses to “Everyman No. 3373 (22nd May)”

1. Mystogre says:

Many thanks Lorraine. I found this one to be as enjoyable as most from Everyman. A nice Sunday lunch solve in other words.

The last one I got was 23ac, which I just plain didn’t see for a long time. Silly that. But my gripe is 6d, where I would have thought an apostrophe was called for in the clue information. Or don’t people worry about that any more?

1d fitted but it was not a term I knew. Enjoyed 18d though.

2. Bamberger says:

Found this heavy going and couldn’t get 23a nor the second part of 13d.
    Needed a solver to get 5d C?a?b?r?i? . I’m not a wine drinker -is this a commonplace wine or an obscure one?
    Thanks for the blog

3. Robi says:

Thanks, Lorraine; I, too, found this a bit more difficult than usual.

TWEENIE was a complicated clue with an unusual answer – more here. It is apparently distinct from ‘tweenager.’

Enjoyable puzzle; I particularly liked ICARUS and APROPOS.

4. Robi says:

Bamberger @2; Chambertin is an ‘Appellation d’origine contrôlée’ region producing high quality red wine, of which Gevrey-Chambertin is one of the more famous. Try some, if you can afford the high price!

5. Mystogre says:

For Bamberger@2, The maiden performance is the first one as in fresh, original or new [Chambers].

6. Bryan says:

Good Morning Lorraine and Many Thanks!

I was wondering what to get for lunch and now, suitably inspired, I shall settle for a Quiche.

This was a delightful puzzle and I consider ICARUS particularly good although I was unaware that he took a dip in the Aegean.

I did meet COUNT BASIE in a hotel lift in Australia many years ago.

Knowing the Peak District, KINDER SCOUT was easy for me but it may have proved less than kind to other solvers.

Many thanks Everyman!

Many thanks, Lorraine. Your blog reminded me of how I, too, found this tougher than your average Everyman.

ROOST was clever; I had to confirm the definition in the dictionary, which is no bad thing. And like Bryan, KINDER SCOUT went straight in, since I live on the edge of the beautiful Peak District.

8. Stella Heath says:

Thanks Lorraine. There were several unknown answers here, whether they be facts, places or unfamiliar juxtapositions. I had resource to Wiki for the Burgundy, as I couldn’t think how to follow “CHAMBER”. I’d never heard of 1d or the peak (which in the photo I saw looks more like a mound :)). And I didn’t know that meaning for ROOST, what instrument Mr Basie played or what sea Icarus drowned in.

In conclusion, this was a crossword where I was considerably more knowledgeable once I’d finished it. Many thanks for the lesson, Everyman.

Mystogre@1, it is now policy to omit apostrophes in the word count, as they were too much of a giveaway, as I read in one of Hugh Stepenson’s newsletters some months ago. I think the discussion there was whether to enumerate initials, such as the NHS for example, as (1,1,1) or (3).

9. PeterO says:

Bryan, how about some Chambertin with your quiche? Maybe a red wine is not the best match for a quiche. Chambertin is the name of a vineyard, one of the most famous in Burgundy; the village of Gevrey, like many villages in the area, hyphenates its name with its most illustrious vineyard, a deliberately deceptive practice.
    Stella, you are right that Kinder Scout hardly qualifies as a peak, although it is the highest point in Derbyshire; it is more an upland plateau, covered with a thick layer of peat which has eroded into a weird landscape of hummocks and gullies.
    Lorraine – Icarus’ wings were the usual feathery sort, held on by wax. They were invented by his father Daedalus for them to escape from Crete, but Icarus flew too near the sun, and the wax melted. There is a wonderful painting by Pieter Bruegel the Elder called Landscape with the fall of Icarus, in which it is easy to overlook Icarus, who appears only as a pair of legs splashing down in the in the bottom right corner.

10. Bryan says:

Many thanks PeterO @9 but I don’t drink alcohol: I get my kicks out of doing crosswords.

I did have Quiche for lunch and it was delicious. Many thanks Lorraine for giving me the idea.