Guardian 25,339 – Orlando

Posted by manehi on June 3rd, 2011

manehi.

Challenging but enjoyable with a lot of clever surface cluing.

1 CLEAVE C[hop] + LEAVE=”up sticks”
4 ETCHINGS ETC=”and more of the same” + [t]HINGS=”items needing no introduction”
9 MOSES Grandma MOSES was an American artist. Refers to the tongue-twister that appears as a song in Singin’ in the Rain: “Moses supposes his toeses are roses, but Moses supposes erroneously…”
10 PUB CRAWLS =”local tours”. P[assengers] + (bus)* around CRAWL=”go swimmingly”
11 SIMPATICO =Congenial. “postman introduces himself” gives I’M PAT (as in Postman Pat), inside SIC=”like this” + O=”circular letter”
12 EVOKE =”Call up”. EVE=”first mate” as in the wife of Adam, around OK=”green light”
13 LONG DRAWN-OUT =marathon as an adjective. (around town lag)*
17 MAKE IT SNAPPY =”Come along”, as in hurry up.
20 PLUMB =sound. PLUM (tree) + B (sounds like “be)
21 RIO GRANDE O[ld] GRAN inside RIDE
23 ORIFLAMME =a French battle standard. (email from)*
24 POLKA =Dance music. PA=”pop”=dad, around [f]OLK
25 DRESSING Two definitions: “Sauce” and “covering one’s birthday suit”
26 GDANSK Polish port. GK=”Greek” around [Desperate] DAN’S
1 CAMISOLE =Top. CAM=river + I=one + SOLE=fish
2 EASEMENT =a type of legal right. E[uropean] + MEN=people, all inside EAST=Orient
3 VESTA =a brand of matches. Hidden in “BeehiVE STAte”
5 TO BE OR NOT TO BE that is the dramatic question that fits the enumeration. Also, (enter boot boot)*
6 HARLEQUIN QUIN=”one of five”, presumably short for quintuplet. Preceded by [wate]R inside HALE=”well” as in healthy.
7 NOW, NOW rev(ON) + W[ith], all repeated
8 SUSSED SUSSE[x] + D[isaster]
10 PRIVATEERSMAN Prince Philip is the Queen’s man, or ER’S MAN. Preceded by PRIVATE=soldier
14 DEADBOLTS DEAD as a dodo + BOLTS=”flies” as in flees
15 OPEN-PLAN OPEN=Unfold + PLAN=chart
16 HYDE PARK Mr. HYDE was Doctor Jekyll’s replacement + P[iano]=quiet + ARK=”life preserver” during the Flood
18 UPLOAD U=posh + PLOD=policeman (as in PC Plod) around A, the indefinite article
19 SUPINE =lying down. PIN=leg inside SUE=girl
22 RAPID =Lightning. RAID=attack around P[ower]

26 Responses to “Guardian 25,339 – Orlando”

1. caretman says:

Thanks, manehi. I agree, this was a fun puzzle with a lot of variety of cluing that kept me on my toes. I thought 25a was a wonderful clue, with the way in which it had to be interpreted well-hidden (at least to me). I also liked 14d for its equation of “as a dodo” with “dead”. A lot of excellent stuff and very enjoyable. So thanks to Orlando for a really fun puzzle.

Oh, and could 5d have been anything else given its enumeration?

2. molonglo says:

Thanks manehi. I never knew the provenance of the tongue-twister in 9a. Like you and caretman, I found this quite a test and a lot of fun, and applaud Orlando for it. I particulalrly like the tricks in 1a (up sticks),and the anagrams and indicators in 13a and 23a. PRIVATEERSMAN seemed suss, but I 8-downed it eventually.

3. NeilW says:

Thanks manehi.

I agree, this was good fun and relatively tricky for Orlando. I’m sure I’ve seen ER’S MAN before but it’s still a good clue.

4. NeilW says:

By the way – I only discovered this post when I googled Grandma MOSES – the 152 preview page for the Guardian isn’t showing it for some reason…

5. Conrad Cork says:

Moses and Gdansk were real laugh out loud clues, and exemplify why I always enjoy Orlando so much.

Thanks for the blog, Manehi.

What a great crossword week it’s been! Every one has been by one of my favourite setters.

Some super clues here, as always from Orlando – and plenty of smiles, too, which I always appreciate. So many that it’s really hard to choose but I have to mention 10, 11, 12 and 26ac and 3, 10 and 14dn – all really clever surfaces and wordplay.

There’s even more to 1ac: ‘cleave’ is one of those words with opposite meanings, so ‘stick’ is also part of the definition – one of the cleverest clues of all.

Many thanks, Orlando, for a most enjoyable puzzle.

7. Mystogre says:

Thank you manehi. I also enjoyed this crossword and found a number of chuckle moments.

My best chuckle though was reserved for 18d with the plod bit. And the audacity of putting a pub crawl into a crossword is to be applauded. Marvelous fun.

So thanks to Orlando as well, as all clues worked fine.

Thank you, manehi. I found this a challenge, much more so than the previous Orlandos I’ve attempted. Got there in the end, and enjoyed pretty much the same clues that others have mentioned. I think MOSES is a bit obscure, but it couldn’t be much else, I suppose.

Thanks to Orlando for an enjoyable puzzle.

9. Bryan says:

Many thanks Manehi and Orlando, this was very enjoyable.

9a MOSES was my first entry because Singin’ In The Rain is among my favourite musicals and, next month, I shall be taking my daughters to see a stage production at the Chichester Festival Theatre.

In the movie version, the Diction Coach in the Moses number was played by Bobby Watson who also played Hitler in 9 movies:

Happily, I once met Gene Kelly around 1984.

The SW corner made me struggle but all the clues were excellent. I particularly liked 18d UPLOAD.

However, I do wonder who wrote ‘To Be Or Not To Be’ – that is the question.

10. Stella Heath says:

Thanks Manehi.

MOSES was my first in too, from the rhyme, though I didn’t quite understand the other part of the clue – I said “Grandma Moses” to myself, and it sounded familiar, so I waited to come here to find out why.

I wouldn’t call it a tongue-twister, though. It’s more like the sort of silly phrases I associate with elocution lessons – not that I ever went, but a childhood friend did.

Some great clues here and fun moments, like realising who the doctor’s replacement was in 16d and the reference to HRH in 10d. Also some nice misdirection in 26ac, for example.

I first “met” Orlando in the quiptics, and I think we know by now that a good quiptic setter has in him/her the ability to make very good cryptics. Thanks you Orlando.

11. superkiwigirl says:

Many thanks Manehi and Orlando.

This was a most enjoyable puzzle, with plenty of laugh out loud moments (favourites included 11, 12 and 26a and 10 and 16d). I struggled with the last one in (PRIVATEERSMAN, a word I’d not encountered before) but got there eventually and really appreciated the “ER’S MAN” part once the penny had dropped.

As for MOSES, I got there by another route (fortuitous but ill informed) in taking “muses” = “supposes”, “erroneously” = change the letter ‘u’ for ‘o’. Ignorance would have been bliss but for this blog!

12. Bryan says:

And here are the lyrics:

“Moses supposes his toeses are Roses,
    But Moses supposes Erroneously,
    Moses he knowses his toeses aren’t roses,
    As Moses supposes his toeses to be!
    Moses supposes his toeses are Roses,
    But Moses supposes Erroneously,
    A mose is a mose!
    A rose is a rose!
    A toes is a toes!
    Hooptie doodie doodle
    Moses supposes his toeses are Roses,
    But Moses supposes Erroneously,
    For Moses he knowses his toeses arent roses,
    As Moses supposes his toeses to be!
    Moses
    (Moses supposes his toeses are roses)
    Moses
    (Moses supposes erroneously)
    Moses
    (Moses supposes his toeses are roses)
    As Moses supposes his toeses to be!
    A Rose is a rose is a rose is a rose is
    A rose is what Moses supposes his toes is
    Couldn’t be a lily or a daphi daphi dilli
    It’s gotta be a rose cuz it rhymes with mose!
    Moses!
    Moses!
    Moses!

13. chas says:

Thanks manehi for the blog.
    I have never heard of Grandma Moses so that one passed me by completely.

In 12a I took “first mate” to be M (as it so often is) and this held me up for a long time. I eventually relised who was being referred to!

I particularly liked 10d: I do not remember seeing Prince Phil being described as ER’S MAN but it works for me. I must try to remember it for the future.

14. tupu says:

Thanks manehi for a good blog and Orlando for an excellent puzzle.

A ‘game of two halves’ with half-time spent at the cinema with grandchildren watching Rio (de Janeiro not Ferdinand).

I assumed 14d started with dead (very nice) but could only think of deadlocks. On checking this I was (un)fortunately directed to deadbolts. I only then got plumb whose word order misled me into thinking I was looking for a ‘tree’.

I realised 9a must be Moses but only found why via google.

As Eileen says, lots of really enjoyable clues. 1a (nice double meaning), 11a, 13a, 21a8d, 10d!, 16d!, 18d!

Orlando’s puzzles are like a gentle guided tour round a well-planned garden (not mine I’m afraid) with lots of pleasant surprises on the way. Rapidly becoming one of my favourite setters.

15. maure says:

Thanks Manehi & Orlando.
    At one point, I was wondering if DSK was the desperate guy in Gdansk.

16. Tokyo Colin says:

Many thanks Manehi. It has already been said, this was a marvellous crossword with just the right combination of deviousness, cleverness and humour. Enjoyable from beginning to end.

I got Moses from Grandma but needed help to understand the rest. Last in was 13ac. I was convinced that ‘marathon was LONG…..RUN’. Favourite was probably 14dn but many others were close.

Eileen said it was a great crossword week. I thought the bookends, Monday and Friday, were great but the midweek efforts left me a bit cold (and bamboozled). But I suppose even my favourite setter is going to choose Essex towns as a theme sometime.

17. liz says:

Thanks manehi and thanks to Orlando for a very enjoyable puzzle.

Like Bryan (thanks for the lyrics) I got Moses from Singin’ in the Rain (a favourite film round here).

Lots to enjoy — I particularly liked 11ac and 10dn. After reading Eileen’s comment @6, I appreciated 1ac all the more in retrospect — I missed the ‘stick’ sense of cleave while solving.

18. Ian says:

Thanks manehi for your blog and also to Orlando for a testing crossword that took me around 1 hour 45 minutes to finish.

Orlando really is a very fine setter who is brilliant at misleading the unwary with the greatest of ease.

This was packed with amusement and trickery.

A brilliant clue at 25 across and yet another superb hidden at 3 down.

11 across a real gem.

For me the best of the week. A great week as Eileen stated.

Well done to all at the Guardian.

19. muck says:

Thanks manehi & others for explaining MOSES and POLKA

20. RCWhiting says:

Thanks all
    I didn’t laugh out loud or even smile but I did enjoy this straightforward puzzle.
    My only error, which left me unable to parse 11ac, was to misspell ‘simpatico’ as ‘sympatico’ because I started by thinking of ‘sympathy’.

21. Sil van den Hoek says:

What more can I say?
    An excellent end to an above average crossword week.

As some might know, I am great admirer of Michael Curl’s puzzles.
    He is so good at writing misdirecting surfaces, meanwhile keeping a close eye on precision.
    4ac, 10ac, 11ac, 24ac are all perfect examples of that.

We never saw “ER’s man” before, so for us it worked.
    A nice twist in 7d too (NOW NOW).

Our first one was TO BE OR NOT TO BE, just getting it from the enumeration. But as we saw in this week’s Crucible, sometimes easy clues can be marvellously written.

Whilst solving I had to think of the difference between Cincinnus and Orlando. When I asked Michael Curl at the London ‘do’ about that, he said that for him there’s not much difference. It was an answer that I didn’t expect. FT’s Cincinnus is much lighter [not bad at all, I haste to say!] and in that disguise he uses very often geographical references. As such, 2d is a typical Cincinnus clue.
    For me Orlando has more depth, but apparently he can’t be bothered. Michael Curl = Michael Curl. And it all seems to be so effortless. An inspiring setter.

Well, that was the positive news ….. :)
    Of course, there are always two or three clues that are under par.
    For us, MAKE IT SNAPPY (17d) didn’t work.
    And it was certainly no match for a recent Loroso (/Anax) clue in the FT: “Hurry up, mum – man’s removing hot towel”.

Fantastic crossword, slightly harder than usual.
    For tupu it was a ‘game of two halves’ with half-time spent at the cinema with grandchildren watching Rio.
    For us it was also a ‘game of two halves’, the left hand side being considerably harder than the ‘other half’ with full-time spent at the cinema, enjoying a coffee and some Chenin Blanc … :)

And our Clue of the Day?
    3d’s VESTA.
    Cleverly hidden (maybe the capital S played a role in that), and another example of a perfect surface in which nothing is as it is.

Thank you, manehi, for blogging this cracker.
    [I do think though that in 20ac (PLUMB) life's a bit easier: PLUMB is just a homophone of 'plum']

22. tupu says:

Hi Sil

I agree re 20a that Manehi’s answer is cleverer than necessary. However, though seemingly ‘harmless’, it is a devious clue that I only solved after ‘deadbolts’. I expected the answer to be a tree name or possibly an adjectival or substantive meaning of ‘sound’ (because of the be’) rather than its meaning as a verb.

23. Carrots says:

Echoing many (almost all) of the foregoing sentiments, Orlando has delighted us with wit, chicanery and glossy surfaces. He really is a super setter. I still had half a dozen to go before I got to the garden swing, where I zonked-out for the rest of the afternoon. Luverly!! Thanks Orlando & Manehi…and apologies for such a late post. This was due to over-enthusiastic siesta-ing and the large jug of iced Pimms which welcomed me back into the land of the living.

24. RCWhiting says:

Has anyone seen a good clue for pretentious?

25. Sil van den Hoek says:

RCWhiting:
    Not sure, it could be about extreme self-importance after first of Pimms.

26. Sil van den Hoek says:

RCWhiting, probably your question was a rhetorical one.
    For others: P[imms] + (NOT SURE IT)* around [self-importanc]E.