Independent on Sunday 1111 by Glow-worm

Posted by flashling on June 5th, 2011

flashling.

Number 1111 but no obvious link I could see.

1 LABOUR OF LOVE Labour (party) of (about) Love (nothing)
10 UNDATED Wallflowers don’t go on dates
11 NIGERIA [A(bo)rigine]* less the hide (B+O) of buffalo
12 TAROT Hidden reversed in tomato ratatouille
13 HYMN BOOK Not a HER book we hear…
14 NON-FICTION [info on tin + C(arbon)]*
16 VEIN Alternate letters in TV SET ISNT
18 TUBA ABUT reversed
20 LEADERSHIP First violin’s = LEADER’S + HIP
22 OUTFLOWS [W(ife) TOO FLU]* + S(oon)
24 OLDEN G (middle of age) from GOLDEN
26 ADMIRER AD + MIRE + R(uth)
27 MORELLO MORE + 2 x L(ine) + O(thello)
28 STANDING ROOM Stand-in Groom
2 ANDIRON [RAID ON N(ew)]*
3 OUTSTRIP OUTS + TRIP
4 RADA RADA(r)
5 FANCY GOODS CAN* + Y(ellow) G(rass) in FOODS
6 ORGAN Hidden reversed in angiNA GROuses
7 EARLOBE EARL + O.B.E.
8 MULTINATIONAL [Million taunt(s)]*
9 RACK AND PINION CD
14 OTHER WORLD THE R(ector) in (old row)*
17 ARMOURER I think, not sure about this. ARMOUR + E.R.
19 BETIMES B(ird) + SEMITE rev
21 HIDALGO No YIN in (holidaying}*
23 LORCA No S and H in (scholar)*
25 AMEN A.M. + EN(space = dash/hyphen)

7 Responses to “Independent on Sunday 1111 by Glow-worm”

1. superkiwigirl says:

I’ve managed to type this without looking at the blog (just!)

For over 24 hours now I’ve been unable to access the Indy’s online Puzzles page, so I am keeping everything crossed that the gremlin is soon fixed.

In the meanwhile, I’m developing a serious case of Cold Turkey …

2. Gaufrid says:

Thanks flashling
    I parsed 17dn as ARM (supply) OUR ER (Britain’s monarch) with ‘body protector’ as the definition since I don’t see that ‘supply’ can be equated with ‘armourer’.

3. nmsindy says:

Thanks for the blog, flashling and thanks, Glow-worm, for what I thought was quite a tricky puzzle. I (eventually) saw ARMOURER as Gaufrid does at #2, it was my last answer. Esp liked the removal of YIN in HIDALGO, AMEN took me a long time to see too. Maybe it’s a question of terminology but I saw RACK AND PINION a just a little more than a CD with RACK and PINION defined in the wordplay part.

4. DorothyS says:

@superkiwigirl

I’m having the same problem. And the same pangs of withdrawal.

5. flashling says:

@Gaufrid & NMS I was/still am stumped by this. I saw it as the supplier being the armourer.
    @SKG and Dorothy, the indy’s crossword site has refused to load for me for the last few months so can’t comment, have to do dead tree….

6. scchua says:

Thanks flashling and Glowworm.

Re ARMOURER, I guess one could stretch it to mean that someone who provides the protection for your body could be considered a body protector.

Hi superkiwigirl@1 and DorothyS@4, I’ve had the same problem and had to resort to the Crossword Solver route to retrieve yesterday’s and today’s puzzles.

7. superkiwigirl says:

Hi flashling, scchua, and DorothyS,

I’m delighted to say that “that which was lost has now been found”.

This was a really worrying situation for me, as living where I do (in deepest darkest France) I can’t even buy the Indy most days. Maybe I should consider relocating to the UK?