Guardian 25,342 – Brummie

Posted by Uncle Yap on June 7th, 2011

Uncle Yap.

Brummie’s puzzles are always fun to solve and today’s selection of clues has its share of all kinds of devices.

Best of all, it reminded me of carefree days of yore, playing board games and watching tear-jerkers. Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be (sigh)

ACROSS
1 TIDINGS Ins of D&I (first letters of done in) in TINGS (bell sounds)
5 SUMMATE Ins of *(MUM) in SATE (deliver full satisfaction)
9 RANGE RANG (I just CALLED to say …) E (Earth)
10 UNRESTING *(RUN) E-STING as in E-Mail (electronic but now associated with anything on the Internet like e-commerce) and of course, a STING is a scam or undercover operation
11 NON-PLAYING Ins of L (lost) in non-paying (failing to come up with cash) and of course, the banker in a Monoploy game may well be non-playing altho’ in real life, one of the players usually doubles up
12 HALL HOLDALL (bag) minus OLD
14 SOVIET UNION Ins of I (independence) in *(ENVIOUS NOT) Lovely surface and not half true, too
18 CANDLESTICK CAN (prison) *(LED) STICK (staff) Loved the def … my COD
21 RACK CRACK minus C (cocaine)
22 LINSEED OIL *(oldies line)
25 ENCLOSURE EN (the letter N) CLOSURE (resolving of a bad experience)
26 LUNGE LUNG (air bag, it seems :-) E (last letter of linE)
27 THERMAE Ins of MA (Massachusetts) in THERE (that place) for hot springs or baths, esp in ancient Greece or Rome.
28 TORPEDO Ins of R (right) PE (physical exercise) in To Do (fuss)

DOWN
1 THRONG Ins of R (last letter of batheR) in THONG (skimpy item) Like this imagery of a beach in hot summer
2 DINING Ins of NINE (number) minus E in DIG (harrow)
3 NEEDLESSLY NEEDLES (probably The Needle Rocks, also known as the Needles in Tasmania) SLY (arch)
4 STUDY STUD (boss) Y (unknown in algebra)
5 SERENGETI SERENE (calm) minus E + GET (become as in He took huge risks to get/become rich) I (one) The Serengeti National Park is a large national park in Serengeti area, Tanzania
6 MISS Ins of I (one) in MASS (service) minus A (ace)
7 ALIZARIN Ins of LIZA (Minnelli with a zee) in *(RAIN) for an orange-red crystalline compound used in making red pigments and in dyeing
8 EGGPLANT EG (exempli gratia, for example) + ins of PLAN (design) in GT (gran turismo, performance car) In the East, we usually call this aubergine or more commonly brinjal
13 JUNK DEALER JUNK (sailing craft) DEALER (broker)
15 VESTIBULE *(ST IVEs + BLUE)
16 SCARLETT Ins of LET (allowed) in SCART (video connector – Acronym from Syndicat des Constructeurs des Appareils Radiorecepteurs et Televiseurs, the name of the European syndicate that developed it) and who can forget Miss O’Hara played by Vivien Leigh in  Gone With The Wind Tomorrow is another day!”
17 UNICYCLE UNI (Oxford, say) CYCLE (recurring phases)
19 LOUNGE ha
20 CLUEDO What a blast from the past. I remember playing this as a schoolboy and the fun we had with Miss Scarlett, Colonel Mustard, et al
23 SMELT dd – to melt in order to separate metal from ore and any fish of the family Osmeridae, related to the salmon family, with a cucumber-like smell
24 ROOM Rev of MOOR (heath) I looked up Cabinet in Chambers and what a revelation for me … originally a private room, esp one in which a sovereign’s advisors met for consultation; hence (usu with cap) the committee made up of a group of senior ministers who together formulate policy in the government of a country. Now I know.

Key to abbreviations
dd = double definition
dud = duplicate definition
tichy = tongue-in-cheek type
cd = cryptic definition
rev = reversed or reversal
ins = insertion
cha = charade
ha = hidden answer
*(fodder) = anagram

23 Responses to “Guardian 25,342 – Brummie”

1. molonglo says:

Thanks Uncle Yap. I think The Needles are in the Isle of Wight. Some good and testing clues here, including the neat 12a. I got stumped on ENCLOSURE and had to go to TEAS for help. 13d had me trawling for -U-K words, but I got there. In 17d I thought the ‘cycle’ part was the circus – and couldn’t work out the ‘recurring phases.’ In your version, what’s the circus?

2. NeilW says:

Thanks UY.

I think you’re skating on thin ice again in your intro, risking Eileen’s wrath…

molongo’s right, I think, except I seem to remember them being off rather than in the Isle of Wight.

SCARLETT was my way in to this, which made CLUEDO pretty obvious so supplying all the other themed answers almost immediately. All in all, a gentle but very enjoyable Brummie, thank you.

Hi NeilW

I didn’t reply to your similar comment last week but I’d like to point out that I am by no means the only one to have said that I prefer not to have the theme of the puzzle hinted at or even revealed, in the preamble to the blog.

I’m glad to see that today’s oversight has now been rectified. ;-)

4. Mystogre says:

Thank you Uncle Yap. This will be a quick post before the iPad runs out of juice.

I agree with the first two comments in that it would be the English version of the rocks and nor the southern one. I got stuck with spelling SCARLETT wrongly. Bother.

I did enjoy 18 ac and it took some time for me to parse 8d. But a nice puzzle and, yes, JUNK was one of my last. Shouldn’t have been but I got stuck with muck for a while. looking for the wrong craft.

Thanks Brummie.

Thanks for the blog, UY.

You forgot to give the wordplay for 20dn: CLUE ['this'] + DO [party].

Just in case there are any non-Cluedo-playing solvers, the other three solutions referred to are HALL, STUDY and LOUNGE.

Many thanks for the puzzle, Brummie – it was great fun!

6. Andrew says:

Thanks Uncle Yap. This was a bit easier than usual for Brummie, I thought, but still good fun. You might have mentioned that “maybe in 3 other solutions” in 20dn refers to the answers LOUNGE, HALL and STUDY – other possible murder locations in Cluedo.

The only weakness was in 13dn, where DEALER has the same meaning in both answer and wordplay.

7. Bryan says:

Many thanks Uncle Yap & Brummie this was very enjoyable.

ALIZARIN was new to me and, if I ever played CLUEDO, I certainly can’t remember anything about it.

I was unable to access this blog earlier and, knowing that you are the fastest gun in the world, I said some prayers for you. They seem to have done the trick.

8. Geoff says:

Thanks, UY.

Good fun, and (I thought) pretty straightforward for a Brummie – I got the theme right away with DINING ROOM.

Some entertaining clues: ‘wicked’ for CANDLE is a bit of a chestnut, but always raises a smile; E-STING was fun; the misleading coupling of ‘Oxford’ (UNI) and ‘Circus’ (part of the def) was ingenious.

ALIZARIN was one of my first entries; as a chemist, it is nice to see 1,2-dihydroxyanthraquinone appear in a crossword. Alizarin, though made synthetically these days as an intermediate for vat dyes, is the naturally occurring colourant in madder (Rubia tinctoria) – which appears quite frequently in crosswords itself (my fsvourite clue for it was Paul’s ‘Plant more nuts’).

9. tupu says:

Thanks UY and Brummie

I thought I wasn’t going to make any headway but it came together in the end.

I did not know Alizarin and got the answer checking Alisarin.

I read 17d as Def = ‘circus entertainer’s transport’ with cycle being ‘recurring phases’ and Uni being say, Oxford. A unicycle would thus be Oxford’s, say, recurring phases.

I enjoyed 9a, 12a, 25a!, 3d!, 5d!, 13d, 17d!.

The penny has only just dropped while writing re candle = wicked! I’ve not encountered this before.

10. Robi says:

Entertaining crossword, and thanks to UY for the blog and Geoff @8 for CANDLE=wicked. I understand now why it is UY’s COD.

I think UY is right in that the Monopoly banker is often playing the game, at least in my experience. I’m not sure I ever owned a Cluedo set, although I played it once or twice. I parsed UNICYCLE as tupu @9 above.

THRONG was very Paulian and a good surface. Interesting intersection with LOUNGE and LUNGE connected in the SE corner.

11. Robi says:

BTW Monopoly has gone 21st century there is no need for a banker and: ‘in the computer version, the players will no longer throw the dice and move their silver pieces around.’

12. NeilW says:

Hi Eileen@3.

Sorry for abusing your name as a generic and I’m really not getting at Uncle Yap either, whose enthusiasm and warmth I’m sure I’m not the only one to admire. :)

13. chas says:

Thanks to UY for the blog.

I have never played cluedo so all the references left me cold.
    At the end when I had _L_E_O for 20d all I could think of was albedo which made no sense at all.
    I used Google and finally it all made sense!

As a quite separate matter my favourite clue was candlestick.

14. liz says:

Thanks for the blog, Uncle Yap. It took me a while to see the theme, although I did notice the number of clues referring to different rooms. I liked the variety of devices. 18ac was my favourite and 17dn was the last one I got.

Like Robi @10, I also liked the intersection of LOUNGE and LUNGE.

15. Carrots says:

UY: Whaddya mean “carefree days of yore?” I don`t do much more than play board-games, (do crossie-puzzles) and watch tear-jerkers on TV THESE DAYS!!(Just watched “QUO VADIS” (Hilarious!))

But, a most entertaining puzzle, skilfully contrived and well blogged. Glad to hear you were nimble footed enough to dodge Auntie Eileen`s wrath….but she is right, isn`t she??

16. dave says:

Only posting to say that I was a bit confused to the reference to eggplant as a tropical plant. It grows quite well here in Virginia and points north.

Oh, and in the US, Cluedo is known as Clue. It uses the same board and characters, fortunately for us colonial boys.

One more thing, Donovan’s song from the ’60′s, “Wear Your Love Like Heaven”, contains a reference to alizarin or alizarine.

Enjoyed the puzzle.

17. caretman says:

This was one of those puzzles where I didn’t notice the theme until I got to the gateway clue (in this case 20d). Since I had been making steady progress through the puzzle, by the time I encountered 20d I already had all of the referenced answers other than MISS. As Dave says, Cluedo is known here as Clue. So how is Cluedo pronounced? Does the final ‘o’ have a long o sound or is it oo?

ALIZARIN was new to me, but clearly signposted in the clue. I really appreciated 1d for its @litness, and 17d when I realized what was going on. Thanks, Brummie, for the fun puzzle, and thanks to Uncle Yap for the blog.

Hi caretman

It’s pronounced to rhyme [deliberately, I've always presumed] with ‘Ludo’ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludo_%28board_game%29
    which I expect you have ‘over there’. :-)

19. caretman says:

Thanks, Eileen. Looking at the link, I don’t think I’ve ever seen that board before, although I have certainly heard of Ludo. Maybe my deficiency arises from not having children.

20. Martin P says:

Eggplants? Tropical? Grew fine in the UK in 1976, 1984, etc. Outdoors too!

Hi caretman

Apologies!

I took the short cut of Wiki-ing, without checking the board.

This is the one I’m familiar with – and maybe you, too.

There seem to be some compensations in not having children /grandchildren! :-)

22. Pete says:

8dn loved this surface and ‘say’ not indicating a homophone, spent ages trying to link okra to dragster etc. but my comment is that the aubergine did originate from india (tropical)

Thanks UP and all for helping a beginner!

23. Roger says:

Thanks UY. Unable to get here yesterday but for what it’s worth I got the ‘e’ in 10a from ‘inter’ (between, among) ‘nEt’. Probably just making life difficult for myself ! Wonder whether VESTIBULE (HALL in all but name) prompted the ‘maybe’ in 20d.