Posted by Pete Maclean on June 9th, 2011
Prize puzzle from the Weekend FT of May 28
More gems from Cincinnus this week. I especially like 1A (APPENDICES), 7A (FADO) and 8D (DETOURS). Then there is one of his brilliant long anagrams in 5D (COUNTERMARCHING). This puzzle was more difficult than most and, as usual, very satisfying.
1. APPENDICES – anagram of PINE SPACED with a snarky cryptic definition
7. FADO – F (fine) + ADO (song and dance). Now, if fado had a dance component, this clue would be a lovely partial &lit. But it does not; it is music only. All the same, I think this is a brilliant one.
9. ACRE – [S]ACRE[D]. It took me a long time to see this!
10. ADULTERATE – ADULT (fully-fledged) + E (English) + RATE (judge)
11. USED TO – anagram of DUO SET
12. TARTARUS – TARTAR (salts) + US (American)
13. CONSIDER – CON (vote) + SIDE (party) + R (Republican)
15. HOST – double definition
17. OGRE – reverse hidden word
19. ABNORMAL – AB (sailor) + NORMA (girl) + L (lake)
22. DRAMATIC – DRAM (drink) + homophone (“attic”)
23. OSCARS – anagram of A CROSS
25. SANDERLING – anagram of LENINGRADS. A sanderling is a small sandpiper.
26. PLOT – P[i]LOT (aviator with i[sland] dropped)
27. KEEP – double definition
28. HIGHTAIL IT – HIGH (soaring) + AIL (trouble) in TIT (bird)
2. PICASSO – PIC (film) + OSSA (Greek mountain) backwards. I had to look up Ossa to confirm that it is the name of a mountain in Greece. And I am not sure I fully understand the wordplay indicators here.
3. EMEND – MEN (staff) in ED (editor)
4. DIAMONDS – cryptic/double definition
5. COUNTERMARCHING – anagram of CHRONIC ARGUMENT
6. SATURN – SAT (test) + URN (vessel)
7. FORGATHER – anagram of HAT in FORGER (criminal)
8. DETOURS – D[rivers] + anagram of ROUTES
14. STEAMED UP – S (son) + TEAMED UP (co-operated)
16. UNSOUGHT – U (university) + NS (poles) + OUGHT (should). Sir Percy Blakeney being the Scarlet Pimpernel — “We seek him here, we seek him there, Those Frenchies seek him everywhere.”
18. GERMANE – GERMAN (European) + E[urovision]
20. A PRIORI – A (article) + PRIOR (religious leader) + I (one)
21. STARCH – STAR (one good in parts, perhaps) + CH (taps — cold and hot)
24. CAPRI – CAPRI[corn]