Independent on Sunday 1,112 by Poins

Posted by Simon Harris on June 12th, 2011

Simon Harris.

I don’t think I’ve ever blogged a Poins before, which always makes for a slightly daunting solve. In the event, I seemed to manage a lot of this on the first pass through…and then promptly ground to a halt! The SW corner seemed particularly difficult to polish off, but I think I’ve managed it.

There are some great surface readings here, with something of a topical, political feel. I wonder if the two mentions of MASS are a small tribute to the late Harold Massingham. Perhaps not though, as I suppose 29ac might otherwise have read “Harold’s last poem”.

1 PEAHEN – EA[rt]H in PEN.
4 UNIFORM – dd.
9 ELABORATE – BORA [bora] in ELATE. I’m not much of a sunseeker, but even I’ll admit that Bora Bora appears to be stunning.
10 ENDED – [k]E[n]N[e]D[y] + [hop]E + D.
11 ELSIE – (Ernie) ELE + I[rat]E.
12 SWEETENER – (RENT WE SEE)*.
13 TRAVAIL – T[he] + (AV in RAIL).
15 SECOND – dd.
17 COVERT – COVER + T, as in Ford Model T.
19 CURRENTCu + (R in RE) + NT.
22 OVERTHROWN – dd.
24 STAINTA in SIN.
26 GREEN – GRE[b]E + N. As one of my two last in, this one really held me up for some reason.
27 NARRATIVE – (A RR) in NATIVE.
28 EXTREMEM in EXETER*.
29 DEPICT – [arnol]D + EPIC + T.
1 PRESENT – dd.
2 AMASS – [ob]AMA’S S[peeches].
3 EXONERATE – ONE RAT in EX E.
4 USELESS – USE + LESS.
5 INERT – NER[o] in IT.
6 ORDINANCE – I in ORDNANCE.
7 MODERN – ODER in MN.
8 VASSAL – ASS in VAL.
14 ATONEMENT – TONE in MEANT*. The name of a film with which I’m largely unfamiliar.
16 CORUSCATE – (COURT CASE)*.
18 TERENCE – RECENT* + E.
19 COWARDCO + DRAW<.
20 TANGENT – T[ameside] + AN G + ENT.
21 DONGLE – G + L[ithium] in DONE. I struggled with this one, perhaps because “key” could be several things, and I’m not sure I equate DONE with “conventional”, though I do see the point.
23 TENSE – [aus]TEN’S E[mma].
25 ALIBI – I[mf] in BAIL*. Particularly topical!

6 Responses to “Independent on Sunday 1,112 by Poins”

1. Tokyocolin says:

Thanks Simon. I enjoyed this but was made to work hard to finish. My last couple were the same as yours although neither appears difficult with the benefit of hindsight.

I have one peeve. Why is Atonement a “film”. It is a marvelous book which was subsequently made into a film. (I haven’t seen it but I cannot see how any film could replicate the breadth and emotional depth of the book.). Surely the book should take precedence, especially for this audience.

2. Gaufrid says:

Thanks Simon
    I too wondered about DONE in 21dn but one of the definitions in Chambers is ‘socially acceptable’, which reminded me of the phrase ‘the done thing’, so I think it equates with ‘conventional’.

Thanks, Simon, for the blog.

Re 21dn: one of our school headmistress’s favourite expressions was, ‘It’s just not done to …’, with great emphasis on the ‘done’, so there was no problem here for me.

For some reason, I couldn’t see GREEN for ages, either.

Hi Tokyocolin

I couldn’t agree more about ATONEMENT. Having been so impressed when I read the book, it was with some trepidation that I went to see the film, only a week or so later. I needn’t have worried: it was one of the best adaptations I’ve ever seen. Do see it, if you can!

4. flashling says:

failed to finish this, SW corner like Simon struggled on. As far as Atonement goes I’d heard of the film but not the book. Ho hum. Thanks Simon and hope to see more poins soon

5. Simon Harris says:

Thanks, everyone. I’m fully in accordance re “done” now you guys have reminded me of that usage. Sounds like yet another book to add to the “to read” list too!

6. caretman says:

Thanks, Simon, for the blog. I think my experience was similar to yours; the right side fell pretty quickly while I was hung up on the left side. It wasn’t until I fit DONGLE and GREEN in that the rest fell out (and I had considered DONGLE for quite a while before figuring out how it worked). It was a good solve for a Saturday (in the states) evening.