Guardian 25,347 by Rufus

Posted by PeeDee on June 13th, 2011

PeeDee.

A gentle start to the week from Rufus – enjoyable, witty and not too taxing on the brain first thing on a Monday morning.

Hold mouse over clue number to see clue, click a solution to see its definition.

5 ADRIFT AD (commercial, advertisement) RIFT (break)
6 ASSAIL A SS (a steam ship) AIL (trouble)
9 COUPLE Left in COUPE (carriage)
10 IDEALIST Double definition – idealism is a philosophical theory
11 FETA FATE*
12 EXHIBITION Double definition
13 YELLOW FEVER (FEEL VERY LOW)*
18 ORCHESTRAL (CLARE SHORT)*
21 IRIS I (1 Roman numeral) and SIR (knight) reversed
22 REVEILLE Cryptic definition – morning bugle call
23 CORPSE Cryptic definition (stiff = dead)
24 EVER SO VERSE* (strange=anagram) and O (zero, tennis score)
25 BESTOW BEST (perfect) O (ring) Wife
1 TRIPLANE TRIP (flight) LANE (path)
2 EFFETE E F (two notes in the musical scale) FETE (gala)
3 ASSEMBLE MESS (jumble) reversed inside ABLE (effecient fashion) – does ‘able’ really mean ‘efficient fashion’ or just ‘efficient’? ABLE (effecient) containing (collected) MESS (jumble) reversed (up) – definition is ‘to fashion’.  Thanks to Robi for this improved parsing
4 TABLET BATTLE*
5 ADORED ADO (bustle) and RED (colour)
7 LESSON LESS ON (fewer things to do)
8 NIGHT WORKER Cryptic definition – he sleeps during daylight hours
14 LISTLESS Definition and cryptic definition (without a list = does not slope)
15 EMIGRATE Cryptic definition
16 GRIEVE RIG* and EVE (the mate of Adam)
17 JIGSAW Cryptic definition
19 HEELED Definition and cryptic definition (listed = leaned over)
20 LICKED Double definition

*anagram

22 Responses to “Guardian 25,347 by Rufus”

1. Robi says:

Good Monday fare.

Thanks PeeDee; I took ‘fashion’ in 3 as the verb meaning to construct or assemble.

Liked the TABLET clue and HEELED.

2. RCWhiting says:

Thanks all
    Well,much too easy again but all is forgiven for anagrams in 13a and 18a, especially the former.

3. tupu says:

Thanks PeeDee and Rufus

A quick and gentle solve on the whole.

Triplane took some time to see.

I was not greatly taken by 14d though the ? probably allows for slight the grammatical weakness of ‘no energy’.

Some enjoyable anagrams (13a, 14a) and other clues (22a, 23a).

15d and 10a only just cryptic.

4. Bryan says:

Many thanks PeeDee this was a breeze!

I see that Rufus (trading as Dante) has also got today’s Prize slot in the FT which, in my opinion, is somewhat tougher.

5. chas says:

Thanks to PeeDee for the blog.
    You explained why I was right to put Night Worker for 8d: I had missed the significance of ‘light’ sleeper.

I liked the Clare Short anagram.

I disliked the double occurrence of the marine meaning ‘list’ = lean or heel: surely Rufus could have found a different meaning for one of them.

6. liz says:

Thanks for the blog, PeeDee. I agree with tupu @3 about 15ac — the weakest one of the bunch, in my opinion.

The Clare Short anagram was lovely, 4dn nicely misleading and 13ac another good Rufus surface.

7. Geoff says:

Thanks PeeDee.

Very straightforward puzzle, enlivened (as already mentioned) by a couple of excellent anagram clues at 13a and 18a.

Of the cryptic def clues, I only liked 22a. I read the ‘stiff’ in 23a as a noun (ie CORPSE) rather than an adjective, but the latter just about works.

8. Roger says:

Thanks PD. I think your original parsing of 3d is nearer the mark. Could ‘is’ in 25a be a little trick to suggest present (noun) in the clue when it’s present (verb) in the answer. If not, the surface would be better without it, surely, and yield the same result.

Perhaps Rufus had one of those Relocate and escape to build a new life in the country sort of shows in mind when writing 15d. Still, you’re perhaps being over generous to call it ‘only just cryptic’, tupu !

Liked 23a. I seem to remember ‘stiff examination’ being used to clue autopsy.

9. Mr Beaver says:

Roger, I agree about 15d. If you left the ‘home’ off the clue, leaving ‘Move to a new country’, then it’s a straightforward Quick clue. IMO, adding ‘home’ does not make it cryptic, it just makes the surface make slightly less sense.

Same with 17d, unless I’m missing something. Leave out ‘Fitting’ from the clue, and you have the straight definition ‘task for a puzzle enthusiast’. I suppose you could argue that ‘fitting pieces together’ is what a jigsaw-puzzler does, but it strikes me as feeble at best, and sticking a ‘?’ on the end doesn’t help

10. Martin H says:

‘Gentle start to the week’ – the stock comment about Rufus. I suppose there’s not much else you can say, but I’d be happier about it if I came away from the puzzle feeling some sense of satisfaction instead of having been somehow cheated – rather like with the greengrocer who slips you a few mouldy strawberries in with the good ones.
    The two mouldiest have already been singled out at 8 and 9 above, but those at 8d and 22ac are definitely on the turn.

10 is a cryptic rather than a double definition I think PeeDee, and rather mushy.

The two anagrams were good, although I seem to recognise the Clare Short one. TABLET and GRIEVE both tasty.

‘Reject’, the popular reversal indicator, never rings true to me. I know it’s from the Latin ‘rejectus’ meaning thrown back, but the English sense has become rather to cast off, repudiate, its directional sense being away or out, and we do these things in English not Latin.

11. Derek Lazenby says:

Did anybody actually know Spent as an obsolete definition of EFFETE? Or did everybody look it up? Anyone got a genuine literary usage to show how it is used?

12. PeeDee says:

Hi Martin, I wondered wether to give 10ac as crptic or dd. Both ‘theory’ and ‘he wants the best’ are literal definitions or examples of idealist, so I think you can take your pick which way you want to call it.

I liked 8dn, it made me laugh when I twigged the double meaning of ‘light’.

13. PeeDee says:

Correction, I’m thinking of ‘idealism’, not ‘idealist’, which doesn’t work so well as a simple dd

14. Carrots says:

Although this puzzle was a gentle stroll in the park, I do enjoy Rufus`s surfaces. I don`t even mind the odd redundant word or addition in a clue as long as it helps the flow. Not always needed, as 1 Dn. (“What on earth is he looking for?”) I thought when I first read it. They don`t come much better than “light sleeper” either!

Thanks Rufus….and PeeDee…..

15. Mr Beaver says:

Derek, no we didn’t know EFFETE’s definition as spent, but once we had the F from ADRIFT, and an obvious possibility for gala being FETE, it looked like it had to be.
    Didn’t bother looking it up, as I could see a tenuous connection via the concept of weakness. Actually I could say this crossword made me feel a bit effete with the draining effect of unrewarding clues ;)

16. morpheus says:

Thank you Rufus and Pee Dee. Rufus may be gentle but seldom to my mind dull and it helps to stretch the brain in a slightly different direction once a week.

17. mumfish says:

Thank goodness for the gentle Rufus!! If it wasn’t for him, and this excellent forum, I would have given up on cryptic crosswords a long time ago. A big “Thank you” to all the contributors here over the years who have helped me gain an understanding of parsing!

18. Paul B says:

Hmm: YELLOW FEVER: hmm: it would seem churlish not to draw attention to it, with yesterday’s scourging of Gordius for an inclusion which some considered a bit tactless.

Or is today’s dread ague excused by the fact that virtually no-one in UK is suffering from it? Would anyone here be out off by extinct illnesses such as the black plague or smallpox? That line: where is it?

19. Val says:

Thanks, PeeDee, ans, as always, Rufus.

If anyone’s still monitoring this thread, could you explain 24ac? I got the answer and can see the word play clearly but what is the definition?

20. bridgesong says:

Val, the definition is VERY.

21. Smoz says:

It really winds me up when the ‘experts’ denigrate a crossword for being too easy. Do you not realise that there are beginners like me for whom completion of this puzzle is a notable event. Comments like ‘I feel cheated’ are just senseless and insult me as a cryptic ‘ baby’ and Rufus who is, I’m sure, aware that he is helping the ‘ babies’ get started.

22. PeeDee says:

Well done completing the crossword Smoz. I’m sure everyone here had to start somewhere, we know what it’s like!