Financial Times 13,717 by Cincinnus

Posted by Pete Maclean on June 23rd, 2011

Pete Maclean.

Prize puzzle from the Weekend FT of June 11

Even a relatively humdrum puzzle from Cincinnus is a good and satisfying solve. Here I particularly liked 1,28A (PEANUT BUTTER), 10D (LONG-TAILED TIT) and 20D (BAY RUM).

1, 28. PEANUT BUTTER – anagram of NEAT PUB + UTTER (say)
4. TWISTERS – double definition
9. LUNCH – L[a]UNCH (start missing a)
10. LOOK AFTER – LOOK (butcher) + AFTER (following)
11. MAUDLIN – homophone (“Magdalene”)
12. GONERIL – anagram of ONE GIRL
13. TIER – double definition
14. STITCH UP – double definition
17. MISSIVES – MISS (daughter) + IVES (Burl)
19. FARO – FAR (a long way) + O (round)
22. AT PEACE – anagram of TAPE + ACE (expert)
24. IN A MESS – I (I) + NAME (identify) + SS (ship)
25. REICHSTAG – anagram of CHAIRS GET
26. CHORD – double definition
27. MEREDITH – REM (American rock band) backwards + EDITH (female)

1. POLYMATH – OLYM[pian] (Olympian, not half) in PATH (way)
2. AD NAUSEUM – cryptic definition
3. UPHOLD – UP (mounted) + H (horse) + OLD (elderly)
5. WOOL-GATHERING – WOO (court) + [officia]L + GATHERING (getting it together)
6. STAUNCH – double definition
7. ENTER – hidden word
8. SORELY – O (old) + RE (soldiers) in SLY (deceitful)
10. LONG-TAILED TIT – anagram of LITTLE DOG AINT
15. PHASED OUT – anagram of HEADS UP TO
16. CONSIDER – ON (on) + S (small) both in CIDER (drink)
18. SMASHED – SMASHE[r] (attractive person has no right) + D (daughter)
20. BAY RUM – [l]A[d]Y in BRUM (Birmingham)
21. MANCHU – hidden word
23. PRIOR – double definition

5 Responses to “Financial Times 13,717 by Cincinnus”

1. Bryan says:

Many thanks Pete and Cincinnus

This was very straightforward and enjoyable.

If only I could have afforded the postage, I would have bunged this off as an entry for a prize.

I shall now start saving up, just in case.

2. john newman says:

Thanks Pete

You will have to explain 20 down to me. Don’t know much about perfume or Birmingham.

Made a mistake with 4A. Had SWINGERS. It was the swinging 60s wasn’t it? I erroneously thought swinge-rs were not to be trusted.

Don’t like 13A much. Understand it, but don’t like it.
    cheers
    John

3. Pete Maclean says:

Hi John,

Bay Rum is a cologne, used as far as I know by men. I once worked for a fellow who used it which is how I knew the name. It is made in Bermuda. “Brum” is a colloquial name for Birmingham (the British city, not the one in Alabama). I was unaware of how this name came about so just looked it up to learn that it is a short form of Brummagem which is the city’s name in its local dialect. The wordplay of the clue has “Lady regularly” meaning take the even letters in LADY (not a device I like much).

I did not think much of 13A either.

4. Bamberger says:

It is very seldom that I get an all correct unaided solve so I was cross with 12a.

I had g?n?r?l and e,i& o to fit in.

So genirol, genoril, ginerol, ginorel, goneril or gonirel? I had no idea at all. Of course I looked it up but very unhappy that knowledge of Shakespeare required. Not even someone that you might reasonably have heard of e.g Shylock, Falstaff.

5. Pete Maclean says:

Decades ago, it was worse. You sometimes needed to complete quotes from Shakespeare — without a Google to look them up.

I had no trouble with Goneril here but am sometimes stumped by clues that expect me to know things about Christianity.