Independent 7705 by Quixote

Posted by NealH on June 27th, 2011

NealH.

I found this a bit more difficult than the usual Quixote and there were one or two clues I had to work quite hard at.

1 Rubbishy: B(lack) I + sh in ruby, although I struggle a little to see exactly how “in storage” tells you that it is inside ruby.
5 Ganges: Gangs around E.
9 Prorogue: Pro(stitute) + rogue.
10 Sudoku: Kudos + U[K]*.
12 Obeah: Be in oa[t]h.
13 Elastomer: (Ores metal)*.
14 Centre Forward: Cent + reward with for inserted.
17 Chesapeake Bay: (Apache key base)*.
20 Annelidan: Eli in Ann + Dan.
22 Emote: [R]emote.
23 Buskin: Bus + kin.
24 Motorcar: Mo + torc + a r(iver).
25 Orange: Of is often abbreviated to o’ poetically, so “of open land” = o’range.
26 Adhesive: He + s[lither] in a dive.
1 Reproach: (Chap + erro[r])*.
2 Boolean: Boo[k] + lean.
3 Iron Horse: Iron(=smooth) + hom of hoarse.
4 House of Cards: CD referring to the playing card king.
6 Adult: Ad + U + lt (lieutenant).
7 Groomed: Hidden in “waiting room Edward.
8 Squire: Qu in sire.
11 Das Rheingold: (Song I’d heard)* around l(ove).
15 Anklebone: An + Klee around bon(=French for good).
16 By George: DD.
17 Canasta: St in Cana[d]a. Quite a nice device – I did think for a long time it would be a defunct country.
18 Bronchi: Bron[x] + chi.
19 Bamboo: Baboo[n] around m.
21 Lying: DD.

9 Responses to “Independent 7705 by Quixote”

1. scchua says:

Thanks NealH and Quixote for another fairly easy puzzle.

Liked 18A BRONCHI, 14A CENTRE FORWARD, and 4A HOUSE OF CARDS. Last in was 1A RUBBISHY, and I guess “in storage” may be read alternatively as “stored in”, giving “jewel, black one shut up stored in”, with a significant comma after “jewel”.

2. Quixote says:

This puzzle was my first attempt at one for the recent US/UK showdown, but it was deemed too difficult for the Americans. I was hoping to produce one that would take Messrs Biddlecombe and Goodliffe a tad over five minutes!

Thank you, Neal.

I enjoyed this Quixote but did find it a bit more tricksy than the Monday Independents he has set so far. I liked RUBBISHY, and think ‘in storage’ is okay as a container indicator. Also appreciated CANASTA and IRON HORSE.

Quixote seems to try to get at least a couple of science-based answers into his puzzles, which I also appreciate – ANNELIDAN and ELASTOMER were today’s examples.

It took me a very large tad over five minutes.

4. walruss says:

Too many difficult words in this one. Some good clues here and thre, but I found it inconsistent. ‘Das Rheingold’ would have been COD but for that problem.

5. Quixote says:

I am surprised that Das Rheingold is ‘difficult’! Perhaps you’ll get a themed puzzle with Spice Girls hits tomorrow? :)

6. lenny says:

This was fairly straightforward except that, as is usual in the Don’s puzzles, there were three words new to me. Elastomer and Buskin were readily gettable from the wordplay but there was quite a choice of names for the worm. In deference to the setter, I went for Annelidon. Maybe I am the only person in the world who has never heard of an Annelidan.

It always fascinates/amuses me what folk find easy/hard in puzzles. One man’s meat and all that. ANNELIDAN was one I got early on, because I knew Annelid was related to worms (think ‘annular’ for ‘rings’, which is what our friends in the soil have). But ANNELIDON sounds like a new species of dinosaur, so when The Don needs a new pseudonym for a seriously scary puzzle, then that could be an option.

8. lenny says:

I could have been a judge but I didn’t have the Latin. I see from Chambers that the suffix –an means “indicating relationship or similarity” from the Latin ending ianus. So “wormy” could only be annelidan. On the other hand –on comes from the Greek odontos and seems only to apply to animals that have big teeth, as KD indicates. So now I know how to distinguish my relationships from my big teeth.

9. ele says:

Thanks to Quixote for a nice start to the week. Liked House of Cards and Das Rheingold (once I’d remembered that Germans did opera too). Thanks to NealH for the correct parsing of 17d. I got canasta but did get caught out by the defunct country, which I could only see as Canaan without its end (died out?).