Araucaria/Cinephile on Desert Island Discs

Posted by Admin on July 4th, 2011

Admin.

Thanks to Scarpia and Shirley for drawing attention to the fact that John Graham (Araucaria/Cinephile) is going to be the guest on Desert Island Discs next Sunday 10th July @ 11.15 on BBC Radio 4.

12 Responses to “Araucaria/Cinephile on Desert Island Discs”

1. Coffee says:

Thanks for the info!

2. Handel says:

Any guesses on what his picks will be? I reckon there will be a few jazz numbers in there.

3. Peter Chambers says:

I remember a good themed crossword of his on the musical Show Boat

4. Andrew says:

Marlene Dietrich has featured in a few Araucaria puzzles, so I confidently predict “Falling In Love Again” :)

5. duncan says:

never mind the records, what is he going to pick as a book & luxury item? :-)

d.

I remembered that, too, Andrew, particularly from a most enjoyable puzzle that I blogged a couple of years ago http://fifteensquared.net/2009/07/04/guardian-24737-araucaria/#comments , featuring the song, ‘See what the boys in the backroom will have’, which was followed within a week by a puzzle http://fifteensquared.net/2009/07/07/guardian-24745-araucaria/ , which had Marlene as a theme. I prefer your choice of song, so I hope you’re right!

Perhaps we should open a book on this. It will certainly be a fascinating programme: I wouldn’t miss it for anything!

Sorry, duncan – we crossed. I hadn’t even begun to think about that!

[How is it, that, so many times, there are no comments for ages, then two come together? :-) ]

8. Scarpia says:

I reckon something by J.S.Bach,possibly from the St.Matthew’s Passion.
    For the book either Chamber’s or the Bible.

9. Jake says:

Araucaria, he is christian? Then anything by Sufjan Stevens. Preferably from his Michigan or Illinoise albums would suit the mood.

10. bridgesong says:

Scarpia: A Bible is standard provision on the desert island, as are the complete works of Shakespeare. Encyclopedias are frowned on, but I don’t know about dictionaries.

Jake: Araucaria is a retired Church of England clergyman. I guess that makes him a Christian.

11. Jake says:

bridgesong .

Good then.

All of Sufjan Stevens works are good. The best for me is “the avalanche” album. If Araucaria reads this then great,

Nice one Araucaria. Play Play Play….

12. Chaz says:

Hi Duncan,

Does a bag of Scrabble tiles count as a luxury item?

C.