Everyman No. 3379 (3rd July)

Posted by The Trafites on July 10th, 2011

The Trafites.

Lorraine:  Good morning all,

I think my head was still in Malta this week although my body was back home. I so struggled with this weeks offering. I started quite well but failed on the last few relying on Nick to help me out.

Thank you for all your comments on my last blog.

Big thank you to Everyman for an excellent puzzle as always.

1. Under control of popular agency (2,4)
IN HAND IN+HAND(agency, but don’t know why as Bradford’s lists this)
5. Acquire chain for a lifting device (5)
WINCH WIN+CH
8. The most outstanding athlete, boy, having drink after game (6,7)
VICTOR LUDORUM VICTOR+(RUM after LUDO)
10. Type of burgundy produced by bishop, say, entertaining company (5)
MACON CO in MAN(bishop, say, in chess = man)
11. Good luck symbol from Oxford, perhaps, taken by hack (9)
HORSESHOE HORSE(hack)+SHOE(Oxford)
12. Best clobber – one may drive in it (3,4)
TOP GEAR cdd
13. Back in a tick (6)
SECOND dd
15. Go away round Italy (4,2)
BEAT IT BEAT(policeman’s round)+IT
17. Country girl’s study (7)
PERUSAL PERU+SAL(ly)
20. Try game in Jacuzzi (9)
WHIRLPOOL WHIRL(as in ‘give it a whirl’ = try)+POOL
22. Adult with endearing French accent (5)
ACUTE A+CUTE
23. Important – arm this police unit (7,6)
SPECIAL BRANCH SPECIAL+BRANCH
24. Composer eats out around one (5)
SATIE (EATS*) around I
25. Sharp reminder (6)
PROMPT dd
2. Small number object to decision in boxing match (2,7)
NO CONTEST NO+CONTEST
3. A further part of Candida? No, The Rivals (7)
ANOTHER hidden: candidA NO THE Rivals
4. Reads about my girl (7)
DOLORES DOES(reads) around LOR(my!)
5. The golf club to produce a slice? (5)
WEDGE cd
6. A novel bridge partnership (5,3,5)
NORTH AND SOUTH dd & pun
7. Poor actor allowed in play (6)
HAMLET HAM+LET
8. Rockefeller, for example, isn’t perceived differently (4,9)
VICE PRESIDENT (ISN’T PERCEIVED*)
9. Leave out some heirloom I traced (4)
OMIT hidden: heirloOM I Traced
14. Screen, at college, the beginning of a performance (7,2)
CURTAIN UP CURTAIN+UP
16. Tart novelist snubbed (7)
TROLLOP (anthony)TROLLOP(e) – snubbed = cut short
17. Port? Friend’s on more rum (7)
PALERMO PAL+(MORE*) – rum being the anagrind
18. Romantic song told a story (4)
LIED dd
19. Cheats fools accepting seconds (6)
TWISTS S in TWITS
21. River Indus, originally at heart of traditional teachings (5)
LOIRE I(ndus) in LORE
….

14 Responses to “Everyman No. 3379 (3rd July)”

1. Rishi says:

Off-topic but not too way out:

Everyman is reproduced in an Indian newspaper after some weeks’ delay.

I have been solving the puzzle for several decades now. I know many others who do and who naturally hold it in higher esteem compared to the original week-day crossword that is set by a panel of Indian composers.

In an occasional exercise, I have written a blog on Everyman 3371 (which was published in the local paper today) here:

Please do visit and, if you like, post any response (I have raised some questions at the end of the answers.)

Another place where the Indian avatar of Everyman is solved regularly is:

I am writing this note merely to bring to attention of Everyman and others the following that this crossword has in India. (Hope Everyman drops by today.)

2. Rishi says:

Re 1ac:

Could it be:

When we say that so-and-so has a hand in a crime, we mean that he was an agency in it.

3. Bryan says:

Many thanks Lorraine & Everyman

This was very enjoyable, as usual, and I’m not surprised that Everyman puzzles are also popular in India but, I suspect, probably not as popular as elephants.

I opted for DOLORES @ 4d but couldn’t figure out why.

4. David Travis says:

Is it just me who feels that there’s a contradiction between “Everyman”, the crossword for the average fellow, and a clued answer like “VICTOR LUDORUM”, which is surely familiar only to the 5% of people who attended a public school?

5. Davy says:

Thanks Lorraine,

Lots of good clues as always but I thought that the parsing behind DOLORES was pretty vague to say the least.

David

I’d never heard of Victor Ludorum either but was led quite easily to the answer by the crystal clear clue. Just a quick check on Google to confirm. Incidentally, I failed my 11+.

Favourite clues were V L, PERUSAL, ACUTE, PALERMO and LOIRE which had a brilliant surface and is my clue of the puzzle.

Thanks Everyman.

6. Rishi says:

David

I am afraid elephants are no longer that popular in India.

With increasing deforestation, these animals, which don’t have enough food in their habitat, wander into farmlands on the edge of jungles and destroy crops. They also enter towns and cause great havoc. Recently, two pachyderms strayed into no less a town than Mysore and roamed freely through its streets and compounds for some three hours before they were tranquillised: on TV we saw horrific clips of one of them trampling an unwary human to death.

7. Bamberger says:

Obviously I was on song for this because I didn’t have any hold ups. Strange isn’t it -some weeks the blogger (who is far far better at this game than I am and perhaps ever will be) says its straightforward and I’ve really struggled even with aids and other weeks the blogger says it was a bit hard in places and I didn’t have any problems.

Thank you Lorraine, Everyman and Rishi for the links.

Enjoyed solving this one as always, and particularly liked PALERMO and LIED for their smooth surfaces.

I can sympathise a bit with David about VICTOR LUDORUM, since I guess it’s one of those phrases that you know or don’t know. I didn’t go to public school either, but the award was given at my common or garden school sports day every year (however, Latin was compulsory in those days). I’m not surprised that Everyman went for the male version, rather than VICTRIX LUDORUM, which was given to the top sportswoman.

9. crosser says:

David Travis @4
    I went to a grammar school but knew the expression VICTOR LUDORUM. However, as Kathryn’s Dad says, Latin was taught in those far-off days (thank goodness). And let’s be fair, KD, it would be difficult to fit VICTRIX LUDORUM into the space!

And no doubt a good deal more difficult to clue, crosser!

11. Sil van den Hoek says:

Thanks Lorraine, and Everyman for another fine Sunday puzzle.

When I looked at the crossword again, I noticed that I put a question mark to 15ac (BEAT IT) – because of IT=Italy.
    I always thought (confirmed by Chambers): I=Italy and IT=Italian.
    Perhaps IT=Italy may be justified by the country code for Italian websites: .it ?

Anyone out there with a useful opinion on this?

12. The Trafites says:

Sil van den Hoek, ‘IT’ is listed in Collins as ‘Italian, Italy’.

I am still not sure about 1ac though, ‘hand’=’agency’

Nick

13. Sil van den Hoek says:

Thanks, Nick, IT’s clear!
    Of course, when IT’s in a dictionary, IT’s fine.
    But I also wanted to understand in what kind of context IT is used for Italy (as normally Italy=I – think car). Probably, the example that I gave in my own post provides an answer to that question.

As to Agency/Hand.
    Chambers gives ‘instrumentality’ as one of the definitions for both Agency and Hand.
    Maybe that helps? [but don't ask me about the context ... :)]

14. Robi says:

Thanks Everyman and Lorraine.

Re agency=hand, my Oxford Thesaurus gives: ‘regional policy was introduced through the agency of the Board of Trade.’ I guess one could substitute ‘hand’ for this sense.

I would have thought that VICTOR LUDORUM was a common enough expression for a crossword of this type.