Financial Times no. 13,745 by HAMILTON

Posted by Ringo on July 14th, 2011

Ringo.

Mostly a doddle, this one, in spite of a couple of sly misdirections and too many financial allusions for this solver’s comfort (although I suppose there may be solvers who buy the FT for reasons other than the crossword). I thought that a couple of the constructions were a bit on the inelegant side, and wasn’t too enamoured of the two long anagrams, but all in all a decent way to start a Thursday.

ACROSS

1. RECALL Re [about] + call [visit - see 11ac.]

4, 19, 18. IN ONE EAR AND OUT THE OTHER Somewhat contrived anagram of author heartened notion e to give a colloquialism favoured by exasperated schoolteachers

10. CLASSLESS Double definition, playing on two senses of ‘class’

11. VISIT V(ermon)t containing is I [is one], giving ‘stay’ in the sense of a trip or holiday

12. OXEN Oven [aga] with V [five] increased to X [ten], giving cattle

13. VIDEO GAMES Lovely anagram of aged movies

15. EXECUTE Another fairly straightforward double definition (‘execute’ as a synonym for ‘run’ perhaps makes most sense in the context of computer programmes)

16. GATHER The [article] in reversal of rag [newspaper]

19. See 4ac.

21. STOMACH Anagram of masoch(is)t, giving ‘stomach’ in the sense of ‘tolerate’ or ‘stand’

23. RHETORICAL Cryptic definition – very simple, but what’s wrong with that?

25. GIRO Reversal of the even letters of hoarding to give a kind of banking transfer

27. IDLED Reversal of deli [shop] incorporating the first ['prime'] letter of duck

28. GIBBERISH Gib [sounds like 'jib', i.e. refuse (usually refers to an unco-operative horse)] + be(a)rish [believing that the FTSE will fail]

29. SATIRISE Sate [satisfy] containing iris [woman's name] to give a synonym for ‘take off’ in the sense of a spoof or burlesque

30. MANGER Anagram of rang me

DOWN

1, 22. RACK ONE’S BRAINS Anagram of brass neck on air

2. CHAMELEON Cha [tea] + melon [fruit] containing (cak)e to give everyone’s favourite eye-swiveller

3. LOST Double definition, referring to the US television programme Lost

5. NEST EGG Nest [shelter] + eg [for example] + g(old): ‘Everyone needs a nest egg to fall back on, though not while wearing a good suit’ – Woody Allen

6. NAVIGATION Nation [people] containing vig(il) to give a word for a canal or other navigable waterway

7. EPSOM Ep [Extended Play, a kind of record in the pre-iPod age] + som(e) [a few] to give the crossword setter’s favourite racecourse

8. RETEST Rest incorporating et [French for 'and']

9. DEFILE Double definition

14. OUT OF ORDER Another double definition, meaning both ‘not ordered’ and ‘not working’

17. EXAMINING Anagram of imagine N(ew) X [cross]

18. See 4ac.

20. TWINGES Tes [reversal of 'set'] incorporating wing [section]

21. SHABBY Sh [quiet] + abbey [convent] minus E [España, Spain]

22. See 1dn.

24. ECLAT Hidden in reversal of reciTAL CEllist

26. VERA Hidden in perseVERAnce

7 Responses to “Financial Times no. 13,745 by HAMILTON”

1. Bamberger says:

Sorry Ringo I found this anything but a doddle and gave up with only 11,13,16,21,25a and 5,6,7& 26d solved -the lhs being totally blank.
    I have failed on other crosswords but thought that they were very clever. Somehow this just left me irritated.

Problem with something like this is that
    1.If you can’t get 4,19,18 you are left with a huge hole
    2.If you can’t get 1a you don’t have much chance with 1,22.

Re 4,19,18 I tried various anagram combinations but dont see why we have to exclude “by notion”

15a I don’t think run=execute is at all straightforward.
    23a I didn’t get it and I wasn’t kicking myself when I saw the answer.
    27a Shop =deli was hardly obvious
    29a Phenominally hard having to spot that the woman is iris.

9d I have never come across valley=defile
    20d Wing =section???

2. Ringo says:

I hate it when people cruise through a crossword that’s had me tearing my hair out (which happens very often) – so sorry, Bamberger! Maybe this one just caught me on a good day.

29a did take me a few minutes to parse: I was trying to do something with ‘take off’ = rise (this was one of the misdirections I mentioned in my preamble).

Have to defend those last two, though. OED has ‘defile’ as ‘A narrow way or passage along which troops can march only by files or with a narrow front; esp. (and in ordinary use) a narrow pass or gorge between mountains’.

And I’d say ‘wing’ is an acceptable synonym for ‘section’, in the sense in which we might talk about the servants’ wing of a stately home, or the radical wing of a political party.

3. Bamberger says:

Thanks Ringo -I’m still tearing my hair out as to why “by notion” is left out of the anagram material (anagrist?) at 4,19&18. Probably blindingly obvious but I’m not on form today-please put me out of mysery..

4. Ringo says:

Oops, my mistake – sorry again. It should read: Anagram of AUTHOR HEARTENED NOTION E. ‘Conjured up’ is the anagram indicator; that rogue ‘by’ – without which the surface wouldn’t work – is a bit redundant but makes sense if taken to mean ‘along with’, ‘beside’. Not the smoothest bit of clueing I’ve ever seen, though.

5. Bamberger says:

Sorry should have spotted that myself -clearly not my day today-maybe a visit to the pub is in order …

6. Pelham Barton says:

Thanks Ringo for the blog.

Some enjoyable clues here, my favourite being 12ac.

In 29ac I had no problem with “take off” as the definition or “woman” being IRIS (perhaps because it is my mother’s name). But does “X the inner Y” really mean “insert Y in X”?

Similarly, in 25ac, which I solved first and very quickly, does “Even hoarding” really mean “Even-numbered letters of the word HOARDING”? I cannot accept that a clue is sound just because it is obvious what the setter intends.

I wrote yesterday about borderline cases for indirect anagrams. In 17dn I can accept New for N as part of the anagram fodder, but have my doubts about Cross for X in the context of an anagram – no problem with Cross for X in any other context.

Clearly a line must be drawn somewhere as to how much clue words can be transformed before making the anagram, and my preference for a weekday newspaper crossword is that every letter of the anagram should be in the clue. Again, I have no quarrel with anyone whose opinions differ from mine.

I had no problem with 4,19,18 as explained by Ringo @4.

7. Bryan says:

Many thanks Ringo & Hamilton.

I thought that this was challenging and enjoyable: certainly the best crossie that I’ve done today.