Independent 7,721/Radian

Posted by Ali on July 14th, 2011

Ali.

Well, to paraphrase Mark Twain, some may see this as a good puzzle spoiled, but I thought it was a belter.

Coinciding with the start of The Open today, Radian has crammed a wealth of golf references into the clues and answers, including quite a lot of pars!

With that much thematic material, there were understandably a few harder answers (can’t say I’d ever heard of Amerigo Verspucci, and paresis is a new one on me), but the clueing was lovely. Hard to pick a favourite one, but I enjoyed 17A a lot, so I’ll give that one the nod.

1 DESK PAD – [-b]ES[-t] + K.P in DAD
5 CASPAR – SPA in CAR – A toughie, as my knowledge of 19th-century German Romantic landscape painters is sketchy to say the least
9 SPARROW – SPAR + ROW (2 fights)
10 CHIMERA – I’M in (REACH)*
5 COCKTAILS – (ALCO + STICK)*
6 SLICE – S(pecial) + LICE
7 AMERIGO VERSPUCCI – (I GAVE UP SOCCER +AM)*
8 EAGLES – [-glen]EAGLES
12 OTHER – I think this is just hidden in dO THE Rounds
14 CATTINESS – CA (round0 + TT (tees) + sNeErS in IS
15 SATAY – SAT[-urd]AY – I could argue that Saturday isn’t necessarily ‘weekend’, but this reads so well that it seems churlish to do so
16 STRUCK – R(iver) in STUCK
18 PARESIS – ES (French ‘art’, i.e. is) in PARIS
20 MAINE – MAIN (principal) + [-objectiv]E
21 RHUMB – RHUM + B[-eachy]
25 PAR – A(mateur) in even letters of sPoRt

19 Responses to “Independent 7,721/Radian”

1. Paul A says:

7 dn – should be AMERIGO VESPUCCI I counted 10 pars, I suppose 18 would have been pushing it!

2. NealH says:

But there are also birdies and eagles there (but no bogeys, so it must have been a good round), so that probably makes up the 18.

A double round for Radian today, as he’s also in the Guardian as Crucible, with something of the same theme. I enjoyed this one rather more.

I thought there were some excellent clues: my favourites were 19ac ['misspelt Holywood star' is superb!] and 23ac and 1, 7 [super surface for the man after whom the Americas are named!] and 18dn [another really great surface with 'French art'].

Many thanks for a really enjoyable puzzle, Radian – a pity Redshank couldn’t have been two days later and made it a hat trick but, of course, that one had to be Tuesday!

Chuffing golf. Most pointless and tedious game on the planet. Can we not just stick with footie in the Indy?

Puzzle was all right though, despite the theme. To give credit to the setter, it was very cleverly put together without any real obscurities. DOWSE and DUSTPAN were my favourites today (well, I’m not going to choose any golfing clues, am I?)

I was going to have a crack at the Grauniad crossword later, but now that Eileen’s alerted me to the theme I’ll try the Dac in the Indy i instead …

Thanks for blogging Ali – at least you seemed to enjoy the golfing references!

5. hounddog says:

I enjoyed it, although there were far too many pars for it to be realistic to me.

If I put together a golf themed puzzle it would have to include things like ‘rough’, ‘water hazard’, ‘air shot’, ‘bunker’, ‘triple bogey’, ‘hook’, ‘shank’, ‘out of bounds’ and ‘missed putt’.

Hi Kathryn’s Dad

I said,’something of the same theme’, which was misleading. Don’t let me put you off – I think you like Mr Anderson’s puzzles!

I’ve no interest in golf, either [or football - soccer, at least!] but that doesn’t stop me appreciating good clues like 19ac. Even I’d heard of him – and I used to live near Holywood many years ago.

7. nmsindy says:

I’ll have to admit I did not spot the extra PARs either, which was a nice touch. For those of us who shelled out on the Indy today, 19 across was helpfully printed out just above the crossword, one can hardly complain about 7D, there are not too many who have a continent named after them…

8. caretman says:

Thanks, Ali, for the blog. As Eileen said, there was a double dose of puzzles today with reference to the Open. I solved this one first and made steady progress through it, but at the end had to resort to entering letters and then hitting the ‘Check’ button to see if I was right for the CASPAR/SLICE combination. I didn’t really understand either of the definitions (although I see it now for CASPAR), but guessed right with CASPAR since I guessed that that light might contain yet another PAR for the round. Can someone enlighten me on how SLICE = ’round’? I’m sure its bleedingly obvious.

9. walruss says:

Bread is your answer.

10. NealH says:

I was a bit more dubious about lice for eggs. Surely louse is normally used to refer to the insect rather than its egg, as opposed to nit, which normally does mean the egg.

11. Mick H says:

I’m with NealH here – apologies for, er, nit-picking, but a nit is the egg of a louse. That’s why I didn’t get 6 down! otherwise, a great puzzle even though I’m a bit handicapped on this theme. 26 ac was a particular favourite.

12. flashling says:

I’m with Mick & Heal H on 6d unless there’s more to this. Anyway I’m off to bunker myself in at the 19th…

13. caretman says:

Thanks, walruss, for the answer. Googling ‘bread round’ gave me a wikipedia link to ’round of bread’. It was an expression I wasn’t familiar with, so now I’ve added it to my store of knowledge (probably to be forgotten the next time I need it). And I agree with NealH and Mick H that ‘eggs’ does not equal LICE, which made 6d doubly hard to work out. Still, it was a very good puzzle even with the pieces I had to guess on.

14. Sil van den Hoek says:

Just finished this crossword. Did it in two sessions, with the Crucible ánd (not unimportant) reading yesterday’s paper (a Dutch one, for which I have an internet subscription) in between.

To be very clear: this puzzle was a whole lot better than the one in the Guardian. As Eileen said, perhaps a pity that this setter’s Redshank puzzle in the FT [a lovely one!] wasn’t scheduled for today.

Where this FT crossword had a lot of F’s and T’s, this one had many “par”s here.
    Very original to include 4 PARs with different clues – I liked it, and it opened up the puzzle for me.

I am not into Golf at all, but I especially liked OVER THE HILL (12ac) and CHIP SHOTS (14ac).
    Additional plusses for 9ac, 7d, 15d and 16d.

After my morning session I had RORY + the rest of “Mirror coyly” in 19ac. As I said, I went through yesterday’s Volkskrant (more or less Holland’s Guardian) and there it was: a full page article on Rory McIlroy heading “Predestinated to be a superstar”. What a coincidence. And it gave me a missing word in today’s Guardian too.

14d’s CATTINESS did remind me of yesterday’s Puck (on the “other side”). He had “Catty talk?” for “bitchiness” and here we have “cattiness” for “bitchy attitude”.

5ac (CASPAR) was the last one in. I didn’t know this Mr Friedrich, but there had to be a “par” in it. Btw, for me (as a continental from the lowlands) SPA is not really “racetrack”, as we (the ones on the other side of the North Sea) always speak of “Francorchamps”. To Dutch people SPA is mineral water (like Evian or Volvic here).
    That said, the Belgian race course has of, er, course it’s name linked to it.

Radian was in a hidden/clothes mood today as both hiddens here (which unfortunately did intersect) ánd one in the Guardian had the word ‘clothes’ in it.

Only minus point for me: the ellipsis DOWSE/COCKTAILS.
    In 4d “passing round” is completely superfluous, and 5d works well without the dots that start the ellipsis (one that, I think, didn’t make sense).

Otherwise, my Crossword of the Day!

15. Radian says:

I always look forward to your studied analysis and comments, Sil. You are incredibly observant! So I hope you don’t mind me cavilling just a little at your ‘only minus point’. One of my no-nos (save in emergencies) is to make an anagram of word(s) and abbreviations. In my book it’s not fair to expect solvers to work out what’s being abbreviated AND THEN add that into the anagram fodder. In other words, a containment indicator is needed in this clue: DOES* passing round W. The fact that the two clues run together rather pleasantly is a bonus.

Since you didn’t mention it, I trust you liked the 9X repetition of ROUND, although in golf that number would normally cover more than two events. Nice to see Rory making it big time in the Dutch press! And I must try to remember that ‘rant’ in Dutch seems a whole lot gentler a word than in English, though some of our papers could do with some honesty in their mastheads. ‘StarRant’ for a start? According to my Collins, our word comes from yours, and yours means ‘to rave’. So maybe I’m wrong. The People’s Rave??? Surely not.

16. Sil van den Hoek says:

Radian, I just saw 4ac as W[ife] + DOES with “shifts” as the anagrind. For some perhaps an indirect anagram, but for me as simple as that. So therefore, I didn’t need “passing round”.
    That said, I know some ellipses are justified by “A+B are really nice together”, and this one was probably a good example.
    I really enjoyed this puzzle as I did Redshank’s [only 8 comments ... a real shame], but I hope you don’t Crucify me for the critical remarks “on the other side”.

This one was top-notch !! (OK, let’s have another one: !)

[and many thanks to Ali]

17. ele says:

Thanks to Radian for an entertaining puzzle (although I’m not a golfer that didn’t really matter and makes a nice change from football) and to Ali for the blog. Now I’ve seen the comments about 6d I don’t feel so bad about not getting it – lice certainly do NOT = eggs (and I’ve never heard of a round of bread). Caspar David Friedrich (first in for me although I worried about spa as I’d never heard of a racetrack of that name) was a landscape painter of the romantic variety – his Sea of Ice is worth a look. http://www.caspardavidfriedrich.org/

18. Paul B says:

I can’t see it as all that indirect if the indication is well-known. Wife for W plus DOES* seems perfectly fair to me, So the like of ‘Divine wife does shift’ (with a touch of plural usage, so as to discriminate against W+anag) you might very well find in a Tees puzzle. But with Radian’s alternative stipulation, the ‘passing round’ is needed. Plus, of golf course, it’s elegant.

So this was top hole. Although I’m sure that’s rude in some mysterious way. Incidentally I met someone today who is called K Hole! I don’t know how many of you are into illegal drug-taking, but if you don’t know what a k-hole is …

19. Allan_C says:

I’m inclined towards the Mark Twain-ish view.

Radian says that in his book it’s not fair to expect solvers to work out what’s being abbreviated AND THEN add that into the anagram fodder, but I don’t have any problem with that. Cinephile had a clue like that in Wednesday’s FT and I saw the answer straightaway.

And I agree with others that lice are not eggs – although in common parlance I suppose ‘headlice’ are equivalent to ‘nits’. A bit of political correctness, perhaps; the letters that came from school always referrred to the former, not the latter.