Independent on Sunday 1,117 by Hypnos

Posted by Uncle Yap on July 17th, 2011

Uncle Yap.

An easy Sunday puzzle that is quite entertaining. I wish I had more time to savour the clues but this is not my usual leisurely day.

This will probably be my last blog for the IOS as I am unable to access the puzzle until the morning when the blog is expected to appear here … and Sunday morning I am in church and has another Hash function to attend to in a short while. Anyway, for a rush job (two solutions not parsed yet), this will have to suffice on a blog which attracts very scant interest, judging from the paucity of comments.

ACROSS
1 PATTER Removal of L (left) from PLATTER (dish)
4 AS WELL AS A S (southern) + ins of A (American) in WELLS (cathedral city in Somerset)
10 WONGA WON (secured) GA (rev of AG, silver) for slang term for money or tin
11 EVAPORATE Rev of O (old) PAVE (flag, as in pavement) RATE (class)
12 STROGANOFF *(got saffron)
13 QUIZ QUIP (sally) minus P + Z (last character)
15 OXFORD CIRCUS OX (neat) FORD (car) CIRCUITS (journeys) minus IT
18  ATTENBOROUGH Ins of TEN (figure) in *(BOAT) Rough (rugged)
21 IDEA Alternate letters in w I l D  t E x A n
22 LITIGATION Ins of IT in *(TAILORING minus R)
24 NICK CLEGG NICK (prison) C (caught) LEG (ON, in cricket parlance) G (last letter of glamour) for the Liberal Party leader
25 IDAHO rha
26 WARHORSE Familiar music, say. in Copenhagen? (8) Thanks to caretman, this is a dd Chambers has “much-performed piece of music” and Copenhagen is the warhorse of the Duke of Wellington
27 STATUE Ins of TAT (worthless stuff) in SUET (fat) minus T and of course, Eros is a statue in Piccadilly Circus

DOWN
1 PAWNSHOP Cha of PAWNS (men on the chessboard) HOP (dance) and Uncle is slang for a pawnbroker
2 TENERIFE Rev of Ins of RENE, Frenchman) in E-FIT, a form of identikit, the image being composed on screen and adjustable by fine degrees.
3 EXAGGERATE EX (Exodus, second book of the Holy Bible) A + ins of GER (German) in GATE (attendance)
5 STAMFORD BRIDGE *(dirt deforms bag)
6 EROS ha
7 LEAGUE dd
8 SLEAZE S (small) ins of E (last letter of vice) in LAZE (lounge)
9 PERNICKETINESS *(nitpickers seen)
14 SURREALIST Ins of R (core of aRt) in SURE (certain) + A LIST (top celebrities)
16 JUBILANT Ins of BILA (rev of A LIBeral) in JUNTA (military rulers) minus A
17 SHINBONE Ins of IN (fashionable) B (book) in SH (quiet) ONE (individual)
19 MINNOW Ins of INN (hotel) in MOW (trim the lawn)
20 FENCER FEN (boggy area) CER (rev of RECreation ground or park)
23 ECHO Nymph shortly occupying middle of forests? (4) Thanks to kettledrum, we now know that middle letter of forests is E, which in phonetic alphabet is E for Echo (Please see list in comment 6 below)

Key to abbreviations
dd = double definition
dud = duplicate definition
tichy = tongue-in-cheek type
cd = cryptic definition
rev = reversed or reversal
ins = insertion
cha = charade
ha = hidden answer
*(fodder) = anagram

10 Responses to “Independent on Sunday 1,117 by Hypnos”

1. caretman says:

Thanks for the blog, Uncle Yap. I’ll miss you on Sundays, since you always do such a good job explaining those clues I can’t get.

With 26a, I find from googling that Copenhagen was Wellington’s warhorse, and I know that some often-played music numbers are metaphorically called ‘warhorses.’ But that was definitely a challenging clue and one I could only enter with confidence after confirming my suspicion that Copenhagen was indeed the name of someone’s mount. I also didn’t understand 23a; ECHO was certainly a nymph but I don’t see the wordplay (but I’m sure others will come in and clarify things). I found this a bit more challenging than it sounded that you did. WONGA was new to me, so was OXFORD CIRCUS, and in the US 9d would be spelled with an S between the R and N (although that didn’t prevent me from getting them given the straightforward wordplay). In the end I thought it was of moderate difficulty for me.

Thanks, Hypnos, for the challenge.

2. Simon Harris says:

Thanks, Uncle Yap. I found this one tricky to finish off, ECHO and WARHORSE similarly being my last in, and essentially guesses. It’s reassuring to know others found those ones tough too!

3. kettledrum says:

23a I think it is E … middle of for E sts … NATO phonetic alphabet

4. Wanderer says:

Thanks Hypnos and Uncle Yap — I found this harder than you did! Like others here, my last in were WARHORSE and ECHO, neither of which I understood but kettledrum’s parsing of ECO is convincing.

I complicated things for myself by deciding that Hypnos had gone for a pangram: by the time I got to the final pair, I had seen every letter in the alphabet except Y, so I was convinced that the W_R_O_S_ solution had a Y in it somewhere… no such luck!

5. Cumbrian says:

I found this hard going, and even getting 9d didn’t open it up as much as I’d hoped, so a good workout.
    Quip for sally was new to me, and I also struggled with ECHO and WARHORSE. I recalled Wellington’s horse being called Copenhagen, but the musical link completely eluded me – thanks caretman. kettledrum’s explanation for ECHO seems plausible, although far from being the best clue in the grid.

I liked WONGA for its use of a slang term for another slang term, IYSWIM.

Thanks Hypnos and Uncle Yap

6. Uncle Yap says:

International Alphabet
    A Alpha B Bravo C Charlie D Delta E Echo F Foxtrot G Golf H Hotel I India J Juliet K Kilo L Lima M Mike N November O Oscar P Papa Q Quebec R Romeo S Sierra T Tango U Uniform V Victor W Whisky X X-ray Y Yankee Z Zulu

(Please note that there may well be other similar lists)

7. bertandjoyce says:

Thanks Uncle Yap for the blog!

We don’t normally have to visit the site to check on the Prize Crossword as we tend to complete it before the solution appears. If we haven’t for any reason, we can usually work backwards from the solution. Not today!!

We were flummoxed by 26a Warhorse and 23d Echo so were very pleased to find that others had been similarly challenged!!

We also wondered about the pangram!

Thanks again Uncle Yap and also Hypnos.

8. nmsindy says:

Maybe Hypnos left out the Y as the set would be completed by the blogger…

Good puzzle, tricky in places, Wellington’s horse was new to me too.

9. Hypnos says:

Thanks to Uncle Yap for his excellent blog and all for their comments.

Didn’t realise WARHORSE and ECHO would prove most difficult – kettledrum @3 is of course right in his reading of 23d.

Hope tantalising with the possibility of a pangram was not too offputting.

Finally, although the IOS blog may attract relatively few comments, I can assure Uncle Yap that his observations are always
    read with interest!

10. Wanderer says:

Hypnos — thanks for responding — tantalising with the possibility of a pangram was not offputting at all! Just another layer of cleverness which mugged this mug into thinking “aha, I know what’s going on here” when of course I didn’t… thanks again for a hugely enjoyable solve.