Quiptic Nº 609 by Hectence

Posted by PeterO on July 18th, 2011

PeterO.

Some convoluted wordplays, and numerous liberties make this quite different from most other Quiptics, although I found that the answers came readily. Perhaps it should be regarded as an introduction to Araucarian style.

7. Small container, say, for bread? (8)
BAGUETTE What a libertarian way to start! Homophone (‘say’) of BAG-ETTE (‘small container’).

Tell me where is fancy bread?

9. Charm consisting of a cross on a letter (6)
AMULET Charade of ‘a’ + MULE (‘cross’ between a horse and a donkey) + T (‘a letter’).
10. Satnav is an essential for travel to certain countries (4)
VISA Hidden answer (with no apparent indicator; ‘essential’ would seem to be part of the definition) in ‘satnaV IS An’.
11. Novice tore into a very quiet Italian church (10)
APPRENTICE Envelope (‘into’) of RENT (‘tore’) in ‘a’ + PP (pianissimo, ‘very quiet’) + I (‘Italian’) + CE (‘church’).
12. Relative’s money is keeping Uncle Sam (6)
COUSIN Envelope (‘is keeping’) of US (‘Uncle Sam’) in COIN (‘money’).
14. Embarrassed about theologian putting in appearance (3-5)
RED-FACED Envelope (‘about’) of FACE (‘appearance’) in RE (‘about’) + DD (Divinitatis Doctor, Doctor of Divinity, ‘theologian’).
15. Famine makes daughter heart-broken (6)
DEARTH Charade of D (‘daughter’) + EARTH, an anagram (‘broken’) of ‘heart’.
17. Out of money with number not working (6)
BROKEN Charade of BROKE (‘out of money’) + N (‘number’).
20. Appointed as design engineers (8)
ASSIGNED Anagram (‘engineers’; I’m not sure that this quite works – ‘engineered’ would be OK, but would spoil the surface) of ‘as design’.
22. From time to time I have reason to act (6)
MOTIVE Charade of MO (‘time’) + T (‘time’) + IVE (I’ve, ‘I have’).
23. Slum riot hasn’t yet lost heart, having won changes (6,4)
SHANTY TOWN Anagram (‘riot’) of ‘hasnt’ + Y[e]T (‘yet lost heart’) + OWN, another anagram (‘changes’) of ‘won’.
24. Rippling lake’s variety of greens (4)
KALE Anagram (‘rippling’) of ‘lake’.
25. Oriental doctor has nothing after over year developing organism (6)
EMBRYO Charade of E (eastern, ‘oriental’) + MB (Medicinae Baccalaureus, Bachelor of Medicine, ‘doctor’) + RY (YR, abbreviation for ‘year’ reversed ‘over’) + O (‘nothing’), with ‘after’ indicating the order of the last two particles.
26. Spring lock outside and enter without permission (8)
TRESPASS Envelope (‘outside’) of SPA (‘spring’) in TRESS (‘lock’).
1. Rubber glove plant? (8)
MARIGOLD Marigold is a brand of rubber gloves, as well as the name of several plants, including one, the marsh marigold, which is an irritant better handled wiith rubber gloves. I would regard this as one of the less defensible uses of a brand name in a crossword.

Caltha palustris, the Marsh Marigold

2. Son’s left diving equipment somewhere in the Caribbean (4)
CUBA [s]CUBA (‘diving equipment’) with the s removed (‘sons left’).
3. Work in arts is random (6)
STRAIN Anagram (‘is random’) of ‘in arts’.
4. Scent victory at last in real struggle (8)
LAVENDER Envelope (‘in’) of V (‘victory’) + END (‘at last’?) in LAER, an anagram (‘struggle’) of ‘real’. Excellent surface.
5. Book cover gives dirt on Calvin Klein in, yes, German and French (4,6)
DUST JACKET Charade of DUST (‘dirt’) + JA (‘yes, German’) + CK (‘Calvin Klein’; the clothes manufacturer does use this abbreviation) + ET (‘and French’), with ‘in’ indicating the order of the particles – an envelope, if you like.
6. Free soldiers at the right moment! (6)
RESCUE RES (RE is a standard abbreviation for Royal Engineers, a corps in the British army, here it looks as if it is intended to indicate a member of the corps, and given a plural ‘soldiers’) + (i.e. on) CUE (‘at the right moment’). At least, that is how I interpret the wordplay.
8. English 10p, one with Queen reversed, is to become invalid (6)
EXPIRE Charade of E (‘English’) + X (Roman numeral, 10) + ‘p’ + I (‘one’) + RE (‘reversed’ ER, Elizabeth Regina, ‘Queen’).
13. Still try it on as a cook (10)
STATIONARY Anagram (‘cook’; another anagrind where the verb form does not seem right) of ‘try it on as a’.
16. Old Poet Laureate crafts sonnet about new young leaders (8)
TENNYSON Envelope (‘about’) of N Y (‘New Young leaders’) in TENSON, an anagram (‘crafts’?) of ‘sonnet’. The British Poet Laureates, of whom Alfred Lord Tennyson was one, are  traditionally rewarded with a butt of sack – about 105 gallons of sherry.
18. Author’s not written about sad lives (8)
NOVELIST Envelope (‘written about’) of VELIS, an anagram (‘sad’) of ‘lives’ in ‘not’.
19. Clever commercial’s first-rate: love it! (6)
ADROIT Charade of AD (‘commercial’) + R (‘first Rate’) + O (‘love’) + ‘it’. Another fine surface.
21. Caught in lady setter’s stratagem (6)
SCHEME Envelope (‘in’) of C (‘caught’) in SHE (‘lady’) + ME (‘setter’).
22. Mentioned house in the country style (6)
MANNER Homophone (‘mentioned’) of MANOR (‘house in the country’).
24. Sleeps with some of the fishes? (4)
KIPS Probably KIP[per]S, but it could be [s]KIP[jack]S.

9 Responses to “Quiptic Nº 609 by Hectence”

Many thanks, Peter, for a fine blog.

I was a bit surprised to read the comment in your pre-amble, since I’d completed the puzzle without raising an eyebrow at any constructions, and enjoyed it. But on rereading the clues, I do see what you mean. Maybe KIPS and BAGUETTE are stretching it a bit; but in Hectence’s defence with the crossing letters in place the answers are pretty obvious, so then there might be a bit of head-scratching to work out the wordplay. Anyway, see what others think.

My favourites today were EXPIRE, STATIONARY (where I think ‘cook’ as an imperative works as the anagrind), TRESPASS and BAGUETTE. I agree with your parsing of RESCUE.

2. Bryan says:

Many thanks PeterO & Hectence

This was a bit trickier than the usual Quiptic but none the worse for that.

Fortunately, I do speak German and French so even though I knew that Calvin Klein was a well-known Footballer (or something) I could still untangle 5d.

I hesitated about 1d MARIGOLD but, please Peter, why have you not also provided an image of the rubber gloves?

3. Sil van den Hoek says:

Not completely sure what to think of this Quiptic.
    At the end of the day, there were too many 1- and 2-letter building stones to my taste. With EMBRYO (25ac), EXPIRE (8d) and ADROIT (19d) as the ultimate examples.

PeterO, many thanks for the excellent personalised blog.
    Probably, there is more to BAGUETTE (7ac) than just an ‘Araucarian’ liberty, as Oxford (ODE) gives us as its last meaning: “A slim, rectangular handbag with a short strap”.

In 4d (LAVENDER) I saw the END bit just as ‘last’, while the V of Victory was placed ‘at’ it.

Finally, I do agree with you about the use of ‘cook’ as an anagrind. As Kathryn’s Dad says it should be seen as an imperative, but, in my opinion, it has to come in front of the fodder to really make sense.
    However, I know some setters do it like this ["doctor" is another one of those anagrinds with a similar 'problem'] and, btw, in my next Dante blog (on Thursday) I will come back to it.

Thanks to Hectence for an enjoyable puzzle.
    One for which, however, I needed a tad too often a pair of scissors to cut the clues in too many small pieces.

4. Robi says:

Thanks Hectence; maybe a bit tricky in parts for a Quiptic.

Nice blog PeterO. I thought ‘engineers’ in 20 was possibly OK as in: man, meccano set, engineers. Not sure I understand the ‘T’ in 9; is this any old letter or is there some significance in ‘T?’ I particularly liked the surfaces of the clues for DEARTH, LAVENDER and NOVELIST.

For marigolds see here.

5. crosser says:

Thanks, PeterO. Maybe 20a would have been better as “Appointed as design engineer” with engineer being an imperative (see Kathryn’s Dad’s comment about “cook” in 13d).

6. PeterO says:

Sil
    I had not dug out the handbag meaning before blogging (and, when I did, found the gem cutting and the moulding as meanings also new to me). It puts a new slant on the clue, but leaves the ‘say’ serving no obvious purpose. For LAVENDER, I was not sure what to do with ‘at’, hence the question mark. Your suggestion seems preferable. Of the questionable anagrinds, both ‘engineers’ and ‘cook’ founder on word order – not such a terrible crime.
    Bryan
    I, for one, would rather stare at a picture of marigolds the of rubber gloves. We seem to support inserted videos, though I have never tried it, so I might have gone with the fellow exploding a Marigold on his head. Or, thanks to Robi, a cartoon.
    Robi
    As I read it, the T in ADROIT would be as good as any of the other 25, except that it gives a meaningful result. If you were pushing it, you might say that it refers back to ‘cross’ doing double duty; see under TAU.

7. Derek Lazenby says:

How strange. A tricky puzzle that wasn’t difficult, though I daresay our silent majority out there might baulk at the second part of that description.

I was amused by the description of it being an introduction to Araucaria. That implies an easy Araucaria, which is surely an oxymoron? Easier yes, easy no.

8. Thomas99 says:

If you don’t like “cook” in 13d as an imperative, it is possible to read it as 3rd person plural indicative too (cf, “leave the ingredients to cook for 30 mins” – presumably if you do then they “cook”, intransitively).

9. Sil van den Hoek says:

But Thomas99, then I would like to see “to cook” which unfortunately wouldn’t make much sense in the otherwise nice 13d.

That said, I know, a lot of setters do things like this, writing things down in the wrong order. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. It has also to do with the punctuation in a clue. For me, here, the ‘cook’ example is one that doesn’t work (apart from the surface), but at the same time I do accept it [because sometimes they work and sometimes they don't]. Fair enough.