Guardian 25,378 – Chifonie

Posted by Uncle Yap on July 19th, 2011

Uncle Yap.

If I had not looked at the name of the setter, I would have guessed Rufus as today’s Chifonie clues are all short, simple and sweet, very much like those from that Maestro in Ironbridge, Shropshire minus the cryptic definitions. An enjoyable and delightful morning’s work-out that ended far too quickly, especially when today’s Times cryptic is still not available. Thank you, Chifonie for a very entertaining puzzle.

ACROSS
8 INTEREST dd
9 OVERT OVER (extra) T (time)
10 PELF ha for a word that means ill-gotten wealth (probably derived from PILFER, to steal)
11 SHOP-SOILED SHOPS (betrays) OILED (drunk)
12 ODDS-ON ODD (rum) SON (my lad)
14 HEDONIST Ins of DON (fellow) in HEIST (robbery)
15 IDEALLY IDE (fish) ALLY (associate)
17 PRATTLE P (penny) RATTLE (upset)
20 IDOLATER I do later (I figure out in time)
22 NOD OFF NO (Eastern, Japanese drama) DO (put on) FF (fortissimo, very loud in music parlance)
23 COMMON COLD COMMON (ordinary) COLD (bitter)
24 CUBA CUB (trainee as in cub reporter) A (one)
25 SITES Sounds like SIGHTS (spectacles)
26 RATIONAL RATION (helping) A L (Liberal)

DOWN
1 INTENDED IN (at home) TENDED (being looked after)
2 BEEF dd
3 NELSON dd Lord Horatio and a hold used in wrestling
4 ATROPHY A Trophy (prize)
5 CONSIDER Ins of *(SON) in CIDER (drink)
6 DESIGNATED *(agents died)
7 ATHENS A (article) THE NS (New Style) capital of Greece
13 STABLEMATE Ins of B (bishop) in STALEMATE (tie)
16 LUTENIST Ins of *(tune) in LIST (catalogue)
18 LIFEBOAT *(fail to be)
19 ARMOURY Ins of OUR in ARMY (militia)
21 DROPSY Ins of OPS (operations) in DRY (cynical) for a
condition characterized by unnatural accumulation of watery fluid in any part of the body (now usually called oedema)
22 NUDITY *(duty in)
24 CROP dd

Key to abbreviations
dd = double definition
dud = duplicate definition
tichy = tongue-in-cheek type
cd = cryptic definition
rev = reversed or reversal
ins = insertion
cha = charade
ha = hidden answer
*(fodder) = anagram

24 Responses to “Guardian 25,378 – Chifonie”

1. grandpuzzler says:

Thanks Chifonie and Uncle Yap. Agree with your assessment of the puzzle. SHOPSOILED was new to me (no hyphen in Chambers). Liked ATROPHY and STABLEMATE.

Cheers…

2. caretman says:

Thanks, Uncle Yap, and Chifonie. I agree that it was quick and smooth. Like grandpuzzler, SHOPSOILED was new to me and I had to get it from a word search while the rest went in quite straightforwardly.

3. Brian H says:

Must take issue with 18d – the definition is not precise enough. A LIFEBOAT is something required in a “rescue situation”, it is not the situation itself.

4. NeilW says:

Thanks UY.

A much better outing from Chifonie than last time but still, really, Quiptic level. Not much else to say.

5. Bryan says:

Many thanks Uncle Yap & Chifonie this came together very quickly and was very enjoyable while it lasted.

I did like STABLEMATE and SHOP-SOILED.

There was an excellent Prize Puzzle (13,748) in yesterday’s FT – if anyone is looking for another challenge. I suspect that it will prove far too tough for Sil …

Thanks, Uncle Yap.

Breezed through this one – simple but sound. As Neil says, would have sat well as a Quiptic.

7. William says:

Thank you UY. Must be a record for me – morning tea still hot as the final SHOP-SOILED dropped in.

Anyone know the etymology of PELF?

8. Michael says:

Pelf comes from the Latin through French meaning stolen goods or booty, according to my Chambers dictionary of etymology.

9. Bryan says:

William @ 7

10. William says:

Michael & Bryan @8/9, many thanks, interesting link to pilfer.

11. Mystogre says:

Started in the gate lounge at Manila airport and finished somewhere higher up. A nice way to spend those interminable minutes without having to do anything too difficult (as this was not of great difficulty) while you wait for things to happen. Still can’t lock that keyboard NeilW.

Learned a new word -PELF – and that makes the exercise worthwhile. SHOP-SOILED puzzled me for a while as I also had trouble with the hyphen in the middle. Didn’t seem right. And I do tend to agree with Brian H about LIFEBOAT. I would have thought it was something you used in the situation rather than the situation itself.

So, thanks Uncle Yap for the explanations and Chifonie for helping to fill those minutes.

12. Geoff says:

Thanks, UY.

I found this easier than yesterday’s Rufus, though the SW corner took a little longer.

STABLEMATE is a great clue. I’m surprised I haven’t come across the charades for ATROPHY and IDOLATER before, only because they work so well – no disrespect to Chifonie intended!

13. Martin H says:

Another quickie, but what a contrast to yesterday’s – all snappy well-constructed clues – not a dud in sight. Plenty of neat, misleading definitions and economical surfaces.

‘Lifeboat’ could be seen as the place (situation) one finds oneself in during a rescue, but I agree, not entirely satisfactory.

I had to check ‘no’ (22), not being spelled ‘noh’ – I’m surprised those letters are not defined similarly more often.

Held up on CUBA/CROP; the first seemed to offer too many possibilities, the second just stared me in the face – and then so obvious when it clicked. Very nice. Other favourites ODDS-ON, SHOP-SOILED, STABLEMATE.

14. Thomas99 says:

Re 18-
    Chifonie is using “situation” to mean “place”. The lifeboat on that reading is the place where a rescue happens – still a little bit of a stretch (it’s arguably the place where it finishes, rather) but not susceptible to the criticism it’s had here.

I also don’t see why the “definition” (a term of art – they don’t have to be definitions) can’t sometimes be a location/situation anyway , but that’s another matter. (E.g. “Charlie and Len back between UK and France” = Channel. Not a great clue but the “definition”‘s fine.)

15. Robi says:

Thanks Chifonie; as others a bit like a Rufus but I would have thought not easy enough for a Quiptic.

Thanks UY; I suppose I should have known NO(H)but had to Google and found NODO, and was about to complain about the obscurity until I came here. 18 may be OK because LIFEBOAT situation is a known phrase.

STABLEMATE was one of the last in and a beautiful clue; PELF was new to me but easy enough as a ha. I thought 25 could be ‘finds’ at the beginning, and lazily assumed 19 would be ‘arsenal,’ ignoring the wordplay.

16. chas says:

Thanks for the blog UY.

I also liked STABLEMATE – when I finally saw it!

I’m bothered by 7d: I have not come across NS meaning New Style so it appears that Chifonie is simply throwing a couple of extra words into the clue and we just have to take the initial letters.

17. Robi says:

chas @16; maybe this will help.

18. RCWhiting says:

Thanks all
    Rather easy although STABLEMATE and COMMON COLD took me as long as the whole rest of the puzzle.
    They were both perfectly correct clues (the former rather good) so it must have been my blindspot to blame.

19. chas says:

Robi @17
    Thanks for the info. I have never seen that usage before so I’m not surprised I don’t remember it.
    To me, as a long-time computer person, OS means Operating System and nothing else.

20. Carrots says:

Very much another “Ho-Hum” offering.

Mystogre @ 11: Surely you mean “…waiting for NOTHING to happen…” on the climb-out?!?!

I`ve bought a trial (£1) pass to The Times web-site (hoping it might provide a bit more of a challenge) but can`t find the Crossword Search link. Can anyone help?

21. walruss says:

Boring for me. I always think you waste your time with stuff like this, as there’s no excitement. But I guess for beginners it might be okay. I agree with whoever said this is a Quiptic puzzle.

22. Giovanna says:

Thanks, UY and Chifonie for the entertainment. A nice extra present for my birthday!

William @ 7 My father’s ancient Chambers defines Pelf as riches (in a bad sense); money. Old French pelfre, booty. Allied to pilfer. This much loved and dog-eared old book is often more useful than the later versions and more fun to use with its line drawings.

Giovanna

23. Mirrorman says:

Managed on Tube journey home after three pints. Which maybe why I got 14c relatively quickly.

24. William says:

Giovanna @22. Wonderful, thank you. What a rich source that old book must be, I hope you look after it.