Financial Times 13,750 by Gozo

Posted by PeeDee on July 20th, 2011

PeeDee.

Gozo is in fine form today, well worth having a go at this one if you have not already done so.

Gozo is something of a specialist in filling the grid, and this time every solution is the name of a county, town or county – quite impresive.  I managed to get all but two of the solutions (Jena and Asmara) without the aid of Wikipedia, so I was feeling quite smug by the finish.  For the more obscure solutions Gozo gave us additional help in the clues which was nice.  Those solvers form outside the UK/Europe may have had a harder time.

Hold mouse over clue number to see clue, click any of the geographical locations to find out more.

1 ASSISI ASSISt (unending help) and I (one, Roman numeral)
4 FLUSHING Cryptic definition
9 DARWEN WANDER*
10 DOMINICA DO (ditto, the same) MINI (skirt) AC (accountant) reversed
12 CANBERRA ABERCARN*
13 ASMARA A RAMS (sign of zodiac) reversed and A
15 ERIE sERIEs (centre of series=sequence)
16 EAST ANGLIA (AGAINST ALE)*
19 MONTELIMAR (ANTI-ROMMEL)*
20 JAVA Javascript is a computer language and Java Man is a famous instance of a an early human ancestor.
23 MACHEN CHAirMEN* (heartless=missing middle letters) – ‘machen’ is also German for ‘to do’
25 CYCLADES A Duke inside CYCLES (has a bike ride)
27 LEINSTER LEER (sly look) around IN (popular) STreet (thoroughfare)
28 CAWDOR COWARD*
29 SEALYHAM (LEASH MAY)* – breed of Terrier, bred by Captain John Edwards at his country estate Sealyham, near Haverfordwest in South Wales
30 VERONA (OVER AN)*
1 ARDECHE CEDAR* followed by (finally) HE
2 STRONTIAN (TRAINS NOT)* – The element Strontium is named after the Scottish village
3 SWEDEN NEWS (report) reversed around DE (‘some’ in French)
5 LAOS LAgOS (former capital of Nigeria) missing G (Golf = letter G in ICAO Phonetic Alphabet)
6 SOISSONS IS inside SO SO (mediocre) with North and South (bridge partners)
7 IBIZA IBIs (tailless bird) and ZA (South Africa, international vehicle registration code)
8 GRANADA GRAN (old relative) AD (advertisement, notice) and A – Spanish city and the Ford Granada car
11 CROATIA sounds like “Crow Asia”
14 ST MARYS (TRY MASS)*
17 LLANDUDNO DUD (counterfeit) Name inside LLANO (Spanish word for ‘plain’)
18 PEVENSEY Parking EVEN (flat) and YES*
19 MUMBLES Double definition
21 AUSTRIA AU (gold, chemical symbol) STRIA (streak)
22 ALSACE tAlLeSt ArChEs (odd numbered letters missing)
24 CHINA CHIN (feature on face) A (indefinite article)
26 JENA some of doormAN EJected reversed

*anagram

7 Responses to “Financial Times 13,750 by Gozo”

1. Conrad Cork says:

You are right PeeDee, a truly fine effort from Gozo. And on a personal note, it was nice to see my old stamping ground of Soissons making an appearance.

2. nmsindy says:

Agreed, this was very good, did need to look for some on the Internet, mainly to confirm a suspicion that I was on the right track. Very impressive to fit them all in a standard grid, without apparent strain. Thanks, Gozo and PeeDee.

3. crypticsue says:

An excellent geography lesson of a cryptic thanks Gozo. All the other available cryptics today being on the easy side, it was nice to have this challenge to keep me occupied a little longer. Thanks to PeeDee too.

4. Jake says:

I always like Gozo.

Now I have my printer up and running it was nice to to yesterdays Indy and todays FT. Nice one Gozo.

I have a question regarding setters: I know a few have passed in the last couple of years, but where is HIGHLANDER a FT setter and MOODIM too? I always liked both of them, and unless they have passed, they seem to have disappeared off the face of the earth.

Does any one know?

5. Richard C says:

Thanks for your blog, PeeDee. I saw your first line – “well worth having a go at this one if you have not already done so” whilst on the train home at 6 o’clock, so took your advice and printed it off when I got home.
    Quite a delight – thanks to both PeeDee and Gozo. This was a delight for me for two reasons. First because this is much more enjoyable then the last two days in the FT, and second because I love place name cryptics having written many myself, usually published in the form of quizzes to raise money for MacMillan Cancer Care. It’s great to see so many place names that I’ve never clued before in this crossword, and Gozo has been brave in making a couple of his clues more difficult than I would ever dare to.

If anybody else particularly likes place name cryptic clues, my latest effort is available at http://www.justgiving.com/thesummerquiz . There is a prize of a magnum of champagne…

6. Sil van den Hoek says:

Pee Dee, when I read “Gozo is in fine form today, well worth having a go at this one if you have not already done so”, I was indeed tempted to do this crossword this afternoon (after deciding earlier today nót to do it).

It was a rewarding puzzle.
    To be honest, I needed an atlas in several places.
    [for the younger solvers: an atlas is a kind of book with maps of the countries of the world … :)]

The extra ‘car’ bit in GRANADA (8d) held me up for a while because I thought it was part of the construction (which it wasn’t).
    The blog explained the DO part of 10ac to me – forgot about do = ditto = the same.
    Funny – as one from Holland – to see FLUSHING as a Dutch port.
    I only knew it as Vlissingen.

My Clue of the Day: EAST ANGLIA (16ac) because of the strong imagery.

Well done Gozo!
    (& PD)

7. ACP says:

Peedee, correct you are. As soon as it looked European, I screwed it up and disposed of it thoughtfully.
    (I know it wasn’t ALL European).