Independent 7727 by Phi

Posted by flashling on July 22nd, 2011

flashling.

It’s Friday so it must be Phi. Usual good stuff and for me a pretty quick solve certainly under 20 minutes without really trying.

No obvious (to me at least!) theme here. As an aside what’s happened to the Ninas, we used to get one every other day and haven’t seen any for ages.

Across:

1 DESCARTES SET + S(econd) in RACED all reversed
6 CUPID CUP + (b)ID
9 (Tony) GREIG Ok hands up those that tried to get Grace to fit. RE in GIG
10 A CAPPELLA A + CAP + P(iano) + ELLA (fitzgerald)
11&12 THREE SPEED GEAR [eg her desperate]*
14 IRON ORE ON + OR (gold) in IRE (passion)
15 PROMPTS PT in PROMS
17 SADISTS SAD + (g)ISTS
19 DESERTS Double Definition
20&22 GOOD NEIGHBOURS [boroughs doing (littl)e]*
25 NEURAL NET No T in NEUTRAL + NET(work) or (inter)NET
26 RIDER No A in RAIDER
27 SWEEP (politician)S + WEEP
28 MARTYRDOM Y(ea)R in MART + DO, + M(oney)
Down:
1 DIGIT DIG + IT
2 SWEARWORD WEAR in SWORD
3&24 ANGLEPOISE LAMP [People signal + A + M(edium)]*
4 TRAIPSE [Step + air(ily)]* &lit-ish
5 SHAKE UP HAKE in SUP
6&13 CAPE GOOSEBERRY C(ommon) A(gricultural) P(olicy) +E(uropean) + GOOSE (fool) + ERR in BY(past)
7 PULSE Cryptic/Double Definition
8 DIAERESIS D(eutsch) + [is easier]*
14 ISSIGONIS Inventor of the Mini car. O in SIGN in 2 * IS
16 PERSUADED [U(rgency) + R(o)AD  SPEED ]*
18 STERNUM STER(n) + NUM(b)
19 DOG STAR You can’t be Sirius etc… DOGS(follows) + TAR(sailor)
21 OF USE 0 (nothing) + FUSE
23 SERUM E.R. in SUM

5 Responses to “Independent 7727 by Phi”

1. MikeC says:

Thanks flashling and Phi. 4d (TRAIPSE) was last in for me – I was tempted by “trample” but couldn’t make sense of it. Can’t match you for speed but a good work-out!

Thanks, flashling. As I’ve said before, I can always handle a Nina-free Phi, and while it detained me for more than twenty minutes, I was in no great rush, enjoying the wordplay and surfaces. ANGLEPOISE LAMP was a nicely constructed anagram; SWEARWORD and DIAERESIS also hit the spot.

I too was in the TRAMPLE and GRACE camp to begin with.

Usual enjoyable stuff from Phi.

3. caretman says:

Thanks, flashling. I too spent a while looking for a nina, sure with Phi that there must be one. I found it easy as well, which was surprising since there were several words I had not encountered before. There’s certainly a sense of accomplishment to solve wordplay for ISSIGONIS, for example, and then confirm that that mess of letters really is someone’s name. Thanks, Phi, for a well-clued, enjoyable puzzle.

4. walruss says:

I too am surprised not to find SOMETHING going on in a Friday Independent puzzle. But it was still good! Thanks to Phi and to Flashling for excellent work.

5. ele says:

Thanks flashling and Phi. Only missed out on 5d where I put SCALE UP (change of plans – seems OK to me – and I’m sure there’ll be a fish called a CALE somewhere in the world :))