Everyman No. 3381 (17th July)

Posted by The Trafites on July 24th, 2011

The Trafites.

Lorraine:  Good morning all,

I hope you enjoyed this weeks offering as much as myself.
Nothing taxing this week for me, I thoroughly enjoyed this crossword. Favourites were 12, 14, 17 and 26ac and 7, 13, 15 and 16dn.

Big thank you to Everyman for another excellent puzzle.

1. Two wind instruments producing piece of music for dance (8)
HORNPIPE HORN+PIPE
5. Afternoon nap in cosiest armchair (6)
SIESTA hidden: coSIEST Armchair
9. Soldiers using minor railway (8)
INFANTRY INFANT+RY
10. Trounce in throwing event (6)
HAMMER dd
11. Part of NI city right for bishop (5)
DERRY DERBY(city) with R(ight) for B(ishop)
a county of Northern Ireland
12. Officer in U-boat to adjust to North (9)
SUBALTERN SUB+ALTER+N
14. Supreme commander’s vague mission cut short at sea (13)
GENERALISSIMO GENERAL(vague)+(MISSIO[n]*)
17. Prince rather confused about absent queen (9,4)
CATHERINE PARR (PRINCE RATHER*) around A(bsent)
19. Controversially ban niterie mostly responsible for causing drunkenness (9)
INEBRIANT (BAN NITERI[e]*)
21. Duck in game – I’d erred (5)
EIDER hidden: gamE I’D ERred
23. Incapacitated boy receiving one at college (4,2)
LAID UP (I in LAD)+UP
24. Country holding alternative view (8)
PANORAMA OR in PANAMA
25. Small seal gets in wreckage (6)
SIGNET (GETS IN)*
26. National song about a leader in Africa is something one loathes (8)
ANATHEMA (A in ANTHEM)+A
1. Musical act is cut (6)
HAIRDO HAIR(musical)+DO
2. Either way, consult (5)
REFER pun on the solution being a palindrome
3. Girl, possibly ten, describing a game of poker (5,4)
PENNY ANTE PENNY+((TEN*) around A); ‘describing’ = ‘going around’
4. Special peers, triumvirate reforming economic policy (11)
PERESTROIKA (PEERS*)+TROIKA(from Russian, a ‘set of three’ hence = triumvirate
6. Completely at home with everyone (2,3)
IN ALL IN+ALL
7. Edited memoirs about the Spanish butler (9)
SOMMELIER (MEMOIRS*) around EL
8. By chance, matador injured around noon (2,6)
AT RANDOM (MATADOR*) around N
13. Speedy traveller, slug on path! (6,5)
BULLET TRAIN BULLET(slug)+TRAIN
14. Swelling crowd (9)
GATHERING dd
15. First to spot head assault whipping boy (9)
SCAPEGOAT S(pot)+CAPE+GO AT(assault)
16. Greek hero getting cold in the Aegean, say, capsized (8)
ACHILLES CHILL in (SEA<)
18. Navy girl giving support to member (6)
ARMADA ADA after ARM
20. Way to comprehensively defeat Spain (5)
ROUTE ROUT+E(spana)
22. Seaman, one at home on the water (5)
DRAKE cdd
 ….

9 Responses to “Everyman No. 3381 (17th July)”

1. scchua says:

Thanks Lorraine, and Everyman.

Smooth even solving. Liked 14A GENERALISSIMO, 4D PERESTROIKA, and 14D GATHERING, a nice dd which makes sense of “a gathering gathering”.

BTW, there’s a typo for 19A INEBRIANT: something “responsible for causing drunkenness”, an intoxicant. And I’m not sure of “sommelier” (a wine steward or waiter in a restaurant) = “butler”.

2. scchua says:

Oops, sorry. I withdraw my comment about “butler” – there’s another meaning that’s connected with wines and liquors.

3. David Travis says:

I found this one quite a bit harder than usual. I especially hate clues like 16d, where you first need to find the word (“SEA”) before you can ‘capsize’ it (I was stuck thinking this was “MED”, as in the Mediterranean). Similarly 11a where you first need to find a city with a ‘B’ in it and then replace it with ‘R’. Phew.

4. Bryan says:

Many thanks Lorraine & Everyman this was a breeze.

And very enjoyable.

Many thanks, Lorraine.

Sunday morning and Everyman seem to go together – relaxing day, relaxing and enjoyable puzzle. Hard to pick a favourite in this one – it all seemed to come together nicely. My main piece of muppetry was not understanding how DERRY worked, despite living only a short distance outside DERBY …

6. crosser says:

Sorry, scchua, could you explain the problem with inebriant?
    Nice relaxing puzzle, many thanks to Everyman and Lorraine.

7. Lorraine says:

Re: no. 6

I put in inebriate instead of inebriant, but have amended my typo.

Lorraine

8. Stephen says:

11across: I understood this as NI city = Londonderry, part of = Derry, and this is right (correct) when talking of the Bishop of Derry.

Hi Stephen

As I mentioned previously, I struggled to parse this clue, but now Lorraine’s explained it, I think it works like this: the definition is ‘part of NI’, in other words County Derry; then it’s a substitution of R for ‘right’ for B for ‘bishop’ in Derby, the English city.