Independent 7733/Phi

Posted by John on July 29th, 2011

John.

The usual very neat offering from Phi. Many of the clues are simple in construction, but nevertheless are efficiently done and of a high standard; and they are not immediately obvious.

Because of 13ac one suspects that somewhere there are anagrams to be found, but as one might expect I can’t see them. And I can’t see anything else going on, but I’d be prepared to bet money that there is.

1 STE{a}M
4 BE{e}B OP
7 S{t}AGE
9 BANNER — 2 defs, one of them a bit strange, hence the question mark
10 RI(OT)G EAR
11 METAPHOR — tap in (Homer)*
12 EUROPE — (rue)rev. Ope{n} [Golf Championship]
13 ANAGRAMMATICAL — an &lit. I think where ‘it’s clear’ is an anagram of ‘articles’, but I can’t see if the definition is ‘articles following linguistic convention’ or simply ‘following linguistic convention’
16 CZECHOSLOVAKIA — since this country no longer exists the old chestnut ‘Capital of Czechoslovakia’, with answer ‘Oslo’ [hidden], is no longer accurate
18 A(CU)MEN
20 LIME RICK — the lime is the tree, the rick the quantity of hay
22 POST L{aid} {n}UDE, definition ‘last item’
23 NEO(CO)N
24 C{ulinary} HE F{raternity} — &lit.
25 S {Wh}ITBY
26 blanketS ON Ground — a clever hidden — not immediately obvious

2 T{i}RADE
3 MONTAIGNE — mon [= my in French] (a gent I)* — Michel de Montaigne
4 BIRTHDAY HONOURS — CD
5 BE{a}R TRAM
6 PROTECTION MONEY — another CD, so both the long down clues are of the same type
7 SUGAR — (rags)rev. around u
8 GRAPPELLI — g rap (ill EP)rev. —  Stéphane Grappelli
14 NECKCLOTH — n (the clock)*
15 CHAT ROOMS — chats around (moor)rev.
17 SA(LIE)N T
19 MOTIF — mo (fit)rev.
21 CROW N

11 Responses to “Independent 7733/Phi”

1. Thomas99 says:

Re 13 –
    “Articles following linguistic convention” is the wordplay: AN + A (articles) + GRAMMATICAL (following linguistic convention) and the definition-ish bit is “It’s clear from such [= anagrammatical] articles”. That’s how I read it. One of the best clues, I thought (also liked Montaigne)

Thanks for the blog, John.

I read 13ac the other way round. Definition: ‘it’s clear from such articles': AN + A [articles] + GRAMMATICAL [following linguistic rules].

Oops! – sorry, Thomas99.

4. Thomas99 says:

I think that’s the first time I’ve ever been the crossee, not the crosser! And Eileen has the clue wording right (John and I both had “convention” for “rules”).

5. nmsindy says:

Enjoyable puzzle, which I found on the gentle side in terms of difficulty, favourite clue ANAGRAMMATICAL. Thanks, John and Phi.

6. Lenny says:

I found this to be quite a tricky effort from Phi. The four long answers did not yield their secrets easily. I have been doing crosswords long enough to know that the word Ready nearly always refers to money but it still catches me out. Likewise anagrammatical clues that usually lead to the word anagram but, today, led to anagrammatical. Capital of Czechoslovakia may be an old chestnut but it bemused me. Thanks for explaining it John. Last in was Neocon, not in my dictionary but clear enough.

7. NealH says:

I was probably a bit more with Lenny than nmsindy on this one. It took me about 40 minutes after a very slow start. I got anagrammatical from the an-a-grammatical wordplay and it didn’t register with me to start with that it was the adjectival form of anagram. I even went to look it up in the dictionary and of course saw straight away that it was derived from anagram. That was my favourite clue in a very good puzzle all round.

I like Phi’s Friday puzzles because normally if you hold his hand quite tightly he’ll lead you over the finishing line eventually. Today it was more like being dragged kicking and screaming towards the tape – I couldn’t see any of the long answers for love nor money, and it was only when they finally yielded that I got there. As Neal says, though, a good all round puzzle.

9. flashling says:

A slow start for me, took maybe 5 mins to see any, then it was like a runaway train and the whole thing fell apart in the next 10 or so with the sudden realisation I’d finished. A bit quicker than yesterday certainly… Thanks John & Phi for the fun.

10. caretman says:

Quite an enjoyable puzzle. The long lights were clearly the key in opening this up and they didn’t yield to me easily but eventually they did so. ANAGRAMMATICAL was excellent (as I was first trying to parse it I thought the articles might be on the tail end (due to the ‘following’ in the wordplay) and spent a long while searching for a word that ended in -THEAN). GRAPPELLI I entered and then confirmed, while NEOCON is a common word here in the States. My last in was POSTLUDE which took me longer than I care to reveal to suddenly see as obvious. Thanks, John, for blogging it all.

11. Allan_C says:

If anyone’s still reading blogs two days later (I didn’t start this puzzle till last night)…

Interestingly for 16a “country no longer” immediately suggested the name of a state that had ceased to exist and only “Czechoslovakia” looked long enough to fit. A quick look at 14d came up with “neckcloth” so the first letter would be C and I pencilled 16a in as “Czechoslovakia” and sure enough that’s what it was. Interestingly i don’t ever recall hearing the old chestnut about Oslo.

It was the NW corner that held me up – until I worked out where the definitions were in the clues to 1a and 2d.