Azed 2043/cecropid?

Posted by ilancaron on July 31st, 2011

ilancaron.
Didn’t find this very easy.  With at least one wordplay not completely decoded.  Wasn’t helped by what appears to be a typo in 1D.

1 FAT,WA[y]
8 K,ABAB – rev(baba=cake)
13 RU(R,[t]ITANIA)N – ref. mythical Ruritania which is excitingly romantic and ref. Queen Titania.  Two runs: run=spell and r=run.
14 INTERCUTS – (cruet, tins)*
15 TONGUE-IN-CHEEK – e in (knee-touching)*
16 HUSSY – us in shy*.   I suppose an &lit.
17 SPAN[king]
19 OOSE – fluff in Scotland — replace n=noon in one with os=oversize=very large.
20 SEMI – hidden in house mice (though I’ve found house mice are usually hidden in the semi)
22 CRAB – three meanings: ref. crab-louse.
25 OCH[r]E – hockey.  And ochre=money.
27 MATT[e/hew] – I think this is right.  Since matte is dull and matt[hew] is the book in the bible (much read I suppose).   So doubly abridged?
28 HARAM – rev(marah = bitterness)
30 PROTOCHOR,DATA – (torch poor)* and “facts provided” = data
33 PERICL(IN)E[s] – “twinning in feldspars” (thus rocky).  Took me a while to decode the wordplay but it does hang together after all. Ref. Pericles and IN=fashionable.
34 EVISCER,ATE – service*. ATE=annoying.  And means “draw”.
35 RO,ARY* – too bright in Scotland (does that ever happen there?).   rev(or=gold)
36 ANTAR – hidden.  It’s a cave and Caliban probably lived in a cave so &lit but my Tempest knowledge is sketchy.

1 FRO*,T(H,H)OPPER – I think the clue had a typo: should have read: “Cercopid jumping for hands inside hat” — see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Froghopper which refers to Cercopidae.
2 AU(ROU[sing])S  - univalent gold (thus “gold of a kind”)
3 TRANSE[pt] – aisle in Scots.
4 WINGS – two meanings
5 VANES,SA – butterfly.  VANES=wings, rev(as)
6 ANTI(PATH,IS)T – path,is in titan*.
9 ANCHOR – to stop or rest.  Move first letter of rancho=traveler’s hut to end.
10 BLUE – two meanings.  Ref. “blue in one’s face” and also means “squander”.
11 [n]ANTES
12 BASKE[d],TMAKER – market*
18 ATTONCE – rather a tough clue.  Sam=Spenserian together it turns out as does ATTONCE.  And wordplay is: (t, one-act)*.
21 MET(I)ER
23 A,RAF(A)T – he won the Nobel peace prize with Rabin (interestingly, both are now dead).  RAFT=crowd.
24 BAT(A)TA – US yam.  BATTA is “allowance in addition to ordinary pay”
26 CREDO – hidden in “sacred offices” and it’s part of the mass.
29 ADO,RN – RN = Royal Navy thus sailors and deck switching meanings to ADORN.  Nice clue.
31 ORCA – our sea monster.  but don’t see word play? “Sea monster, not down but up – abandon ship!”.  Actually I just saw this as we go to press: namely, it’s rev((across=not down) – (ss=ship))! nice clue actually.
32 CLIO – two meanings.  Ref. the muse CLIO and also “whales’ food”

9 Responses to “Azed 2043/cecropid?”

1. Rishi says:

36d: The Tempest is set in Prospero’s cave, among other places. Caliban, being his servant, could well be imagined to have been there. Prospero taught Caliban language and it helped the latter to abuse his master.

2. AJK says:

Yes, very difficult. Abandoned with about 3/4 done-my wife wanted me to do more important things! Today’s was far more straightforward.

3. Jan says:

I managed all but three (22, 18 and 32), but was thrown for a while by the typo and the numeration for 14 and 15 on the print version.

Thanks for the blog – there were a few solutions which I couldn’t fully explain.

4. Bob Sharkey says:

I agree that this was tough, but tougher in some parts to find the word-play than the solution. I was disappointed to see Azed resort to indicating a separate ‘t’ in the anagram at 18 down. Perhaps a theatre buff will know which are the two plays and let us know. The review omits 7 down, MIEN (homophone of ‘mean’). Otherwise, Ilancaron has done a thorough job of this puzzle.

5. Jake says:

This was far too easy. How can one say it was hard! Apart from some poor cluing—very much unlike Azed???

In fact I packed this up and didn’t bother completing it as for the first time Azed bored me. favourite clue though must be 24d with TAB reversed and A short America to reveal a YAM or sweet potato.

Sorry Azed at you worst here.

6. Norman L in France says:

I took a bit of time to fill in the last two short words in the middle of the puzzle, SPAN & MATT, and I didn’t really understand MATT afterwards, but that certainly didn’t spoil the pleasure of the doing the rest.

Jake.
    I can understand being bored by a crossword (or anything else) but I’m not sure how anyone can say a crossword is far too easy if they haven’t actually finished it.

7. ilancaron says:

I assume Jake was being ironic… but perhaps I’m wrong?

8. Jake says:

I filled in right side and top of the grid very quickly. I had to look up 7d MIEN in Bradfords, got bored and put it to one side.

Being too easy as compared to the usual Azed’s EV’s and Listeners I found the words I filled very normal. There wasn’t too many odd words that one usually sees to his puzzles.

Everyone is different I suppose, I just found what I’d filled not very challenging and put it to one side. In other words I couldn’t be ar**d to do it or waste my time. I’m idle sometimes, but do enjoy a taxing puzzle!

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but hope it has cleared up any doubts.

9. Norman Hall says:

An excellent puzzle. Couldn’t disagree more with Jake’s attitude.
    Best clue 31d ORCA, ACRO[SS]rev.

ilancaron gives as his explanation ‘across = not down’ without saying that this is a reference to across and down crossword clues — presumably because he thought it was obvious.