Everyman No 3,382

Posted by Stella on July 31st, 2011

Stella.

A fairly straightforward puzzle from Everyman this week, with a profusion of anagrams and simple charades, and nothing too obscure save, perhaps, 2 down.

1 PASTEURISE *PARTS IE USE
6 SCAR Hidden in ‘FranceSCA Recently’
10 TULIP

TIP around first and last letters (‘extremely’) of ‘UltimatelY’

11 PRODUCERS *CRUDE in PROS
12 BOARDING SCHOOL BOARDING + SCHOOL (=’train’)
14 HOVERED *HE DROVE
15 PIERROT

ERROr in PIT, for the archtypal sad clown of the Commedia dell’Arte

17 QUEUE UP Homophone of ‘cue’, = signal to act, + UP, = ‘at college’
19 SCORPIO

The zodiac sign represents the animal, but is written without its last letter, or tail – to remove its sting?

20 ENGAGEMENT RING Cryptic definition
23 APPLIANCE *PLACE A PIN
24 IMAGE IE (that is) outside MAG(azine, or Sunday supplement), rather than the other way round.
25 DARK D+ARK
26 LOVE LETTER ;)
1 PATH Hidden in ‘bellhoP AT Hotel’
2 SULLOM VOE

It's the place signalled with a yellow dot, while the others are red

*VOLUME SO L(arge) – the anagram fodder was obvious, but I’d never heard of the place.

3 EMPEROR PENGUIN

*UPPER REGION MEN, but they live in the Antarctic, so from most of our point of view, the ‘lowest’ region :)

4 REPLIED REP + LIED
5 STOPGAP STOP + GAP
7 CREDO

C + RED + O The inner ring, or bull’s-eye, in darts is red

8 RESOLUTION RE + SOLUTION, though I’ve a feeling the chemists among us will tell us that a suspension is not the same thing.
9 QUICHE LORRAINE

Not strictly quiche lorraine, cause I made it with salmon, not ham

QU + 1 + LORRAINE around CHE

13 CHEQUE CARD Homophone of ‘Czech’ + CARD as in “He’s quite a card/character!”
16 REPENTANT REP + *TENANT
18 PIMENTO *POINT ME. I know allspice is also known as Jamaican pepper, but I didn’t know it can also be referred to as ‘pimento’, as it is in fact not a pepper.
19 SINCERE SINCE + RE, the second note in the solfège
21 GAPER APE in GR
22 HEAR Cryptic definition

*anagram

Hold mouse over clue number to see clue, click a solution to see its definition.

7 Responses to “Everyman No 3,382”

1. Bryan says:

Many thanks Stella & Everyman this was very enjoyable and, in my opinion, rather harder than usual but all the better for it.

I’d never before heard of SULLOM VOE – after all I live in England and I’ve never ventured into The Highlands.

Sadly, the excellent clue to CHEQUE CARD is out-of-date: such cards haven’t worked since 30 June 2011.

When I saw QUICHE LORRAINE, I assumed it was a tribute to our Lorraine and I am sure that if Everyman had known that she would be away today (gone to Paul’s wedding maybe?) then he would have provided a more relevant clue which you could have solved with great aplomb:

2. Wolfie says:

Thanks as ever for the entertaining blog Lorraine, and to Everyman.

A couple of scientific quibbles: as you indicate in the blog, a suspension is certainly not the same as a solution. Nor is ‘pasteurise’ (1ac) a synonmym for ‘sterilise’. Sterilisation requires a substance to be treated (usually by heating) to kill all microbes, whereas pasteurisation is a form of heat treatment that slows down the growth of microbes without eliminating them completely. Hence pasteurised milk will curdle after a few days whereas sterilised milk will remain drinkable for a lengthy period.

3. Stella says:

Hi Bryan and Wolfie, who must have been affected by all that lager!

Thanks for your comments. Personally, I prefer milk that goes off in a few days if this leaves the taste unaltered.

4. Wolfie says:

Apologies to you Stella (and to Lorraine) for getting the two of you mixed up. In my case I can’t blame the lager for my confusion; must have been the after-effects of my day at the Trent Bridge test match!

Here’s another one with the after-effects of Trent Bridge: nearly losing my voice screaming at Broad’s hat-trick and getting sunburnt despite slapping on lots of factor whatever.

As for the puzzle: straightforward and sound stuff, although I do agree with Wolfie’s comments about the lack of exactness in the ‘scientific’ answers. (But listen, setters get away with equating ‘Ulster’ and ‘Northern Ireland’.) I did know SULLOM VOE – must have been in the news in the past for some reason – but I had to check its spelling.

Thanks to Stella for the blog.

6. sidey says:

Small point, the ‘inner’ in 7d is the ring round the bull on an archery target.

7. Stella says:

I stick to what I know, sidey. I haven’t the strength to pull a bow :)

I envy those who have occasion to suffer the stress of a Test match. The best I get is Nadal not winning Wimbledon – he’s had a bad year – and Alonso and his Ferrari edging up on Red Bull, occasionally.