Posted by Pete Maclean on August 4th, 2011
Prize puzzle from the Weekend FT of July 23
Cinephile is back with one of his themes, this time a minor one (watches and watchers) that does not have any cryptic meaning. I found this puzzle pleasantly challenging (especially 1D and 9A) but also found minor fault with several of the clues. If I have to cite a favourite or two, I guess I have to choose 27A (SPONGE) and 16D (BROOKLYN).
1. SENTRY – SENT (dispatched) + RY (rail)
4. SCULPSIT – S (Southern) + PSI (Greek character) in CULT (religious group). Not a word I knew.
9. BIRDIE – double definition. Weak, I think, because surely you watch always “the birdie”.
10. SNUB NOSE – SNUB (little) + NOSE (tilted feature)
12. LEHR – LE (the French) + HR (time). A lehr is a glass-annealing oven.
13. ATTENUATED – AT TEN (time for the news) + anagram of A DUET. Also weak, in that “time for the news” could well clue TEN but I don’t see how it properly clues AT TEN.
15. SURVEILLANCE – SU (us turn) + R (right) + VEIL (cover) + LANCE (weapon)
18. SPEED CAMERAS – anagram of A MERCEDES ASAP. Clever!
21. COLLARBONE – [p]OLL in CARBON (C) + E (direction)
24. ERGOTISM – ER (Queen) + GOT (acquired) + ISM (system)
25. ATTLEE – hidden word. Nice one.
26. MONARCHY – anagram of CHARON in MY (setter’s)
27. SPONGE – double definition
1. SUBCLASS – anagram of CLUBS + ASS (fool). So “sporting” is an anagram indicator? Took me a long time to figure that out and I am not happy with it.
2. NORTHERN – NOR (and not) + THE (the) + RN (fleet)
3, 22ac. RAINCOAT – anagram of CATRIONA
5. CONVEYANCING – anagram of NY GO VACCINE. “Housework” is a great cryptic definition here but “from [anagram fodder] available” makes a messy wordplay construction.
6. LABOUR CAMP – LABOUR (party) + CAMP (theatrical). An unfortunate clue for the time it was published perhaps considering what happened in Norway.
7. SMOOTH – MOOT (old assembly) in SH (be quiet)
8. TRENDY – END (goal) + TRY (four or five points). Hmm, I suppose one might say that a try is four or five points.
11. STELLENBOSCH – ST (canonized) + ELLEN (Terry) + BOSCH (Hieronymus)
14. TEAPLANTER – anagram of ALE PATTERN
16. BROOKLYN – BROOK (put up with) + L (student) + NY (US city)
17. AS IT WERE – A (a) + SIT (situation) + WERE (FT’s)
19. SCREAM – double definition
20. SLOGAN – SLOG (hard work) + AN (article)
23. STOP – POTS (what shouldn’t be watched) backwards