Independent on Sunday 1,120 by Anax

Posted by Simon Harris on August 7th, 2011

Simon Harris.

I think this may be a Sunday debut from Anax, and I’m certain that he will be a welcome addition to the lineup as far as solvers are concerned.

That said, I wasn’t sure what to expect when I saw the name pop up, being more used to seeing Anax on Saturdays, striking fear into the hearts of bloggers including myself!

In the event, this was perhaps tougher than the average Sunday, whilst easier than the average Anax. The puzzle was also packed with the kind of remarkably smooth surface readings that Anax is so good at.

1 HOARSEA in HORSE. Hackney being a breed of horse with which I was not familiar, but that didn’t unduly inhibit solving.
4 PRICE WAR – cd.
9 GOD – (DO + G)<.
10 SKYSCRAPERS – (SCRAP in KEYS*) + R.S..
12 PRECIOUS METAL – I + O in (MUST REPLACE)*.
14 INSTAL – [brita]IN’S TAL[ent].
15 INEDIBLE – (DINE* in IB) + LE.
18 STENDHAL – (N + D.H.) in STEAL.
20 PERNOD – PER + NOD.
23 SIBERIAN TIGER – (IT IS RARE BEING)* &lit. Cracking clue: In the wild it is rare being.
25 MAGIC MARKER – cd.
26 TWO – T[heir] W[edding] O[rganiser].
27 GATHERED – G + A + THE RED.
28 HENDON – HEN DO + N.
1 HIGH PRIEST – (HE GRIPS)* in HIT.
2 ADDRESSEE – A + (DRESS in DEE).
3 SESTINA – [germ]AN IT’S ES[pecially]<.
5 RICHMOND – RICH + (ON in M.D.).
6 CRAFTED – C[omplaint] + (F.T. in DEAR<).
7 WHEEL – WHEE + L.
8 RUSH – RU (“are you” as one might type it in an SMS message) + SH.
11 YOUR – I’m not sure about this one. It reads like a dd., but I can’t convince myself. THe clue is The typical old muttering.
13 TENDERLOIN – TENDER + (0 in NIL<).
16 BENIGHTED – (GET BEHIND)*.
17 MARRIAGE – AIR< in MARGE.
19 DEBACLE – DEB + (L in ACE).
21 EATERIE – ([s]EE [w]AITER)*.
22 PARK – P + ARK.
23 SIGHT – dd.
24 SMUG – SMUG[gler].

13 Responses to “Independent on Sunday 1,120 by Anax”

1. Gaufrid says:

Thanks Simon
    I think you will probably find that this is a one-off for Anax in the IoS since it was a tribute puzzle for a certain marriage that took place last Sunday.

11,17 and 2,22 are thematic and TALINE HALPERN appears in the 7th and 9th rows. Knowing Anax there could well be more but I haven’t spotted it.

I parsed 11 dn as a homophone (muttering) of ‘yore’ (old) with the definition being ‘the typical’.

Thanks for the blog, Simon.

This is [obviously] a fine example of a themed puzzle where ignorance of the theme did not detract from the enjoyment of solving, but for those of us who had been delighted by other tribute puzzles on Saturday, to see Anax’s name on the Sunday crossword was the icing on the cake [sorry, unintentional!]

As Gaufrid says, there may well be other references but 5dn is where the reception was held and, of course, there are several references to weddings in the clues themselves [eg 26, 28ac and 2, 17 dn.

Apart from the theme, my favourites were 12, 20, 23ac and 6 and 16dn.

Very many thanks, Anax – I’m really glad you got in on the act, too!

3. superkiwigirl says:

Many thanks for your blog, Simon, and for a really enjoyable puzzle, Anax.

I’m afraid that I missed the theme entirely (so thanks Gaufrid and Eileen for enlightening me regarding this). In any event, I don’t think that my ignorance made any difference to the enjoyment of the solve – there were many excellent clues and fine surfaces (favorites included PRICE WAR and SIBERIAN TIGER. (This latter held me up for a while, as having got most of the crossing letters, I was convinced that the first word must be “Suburban” until I realised that an anagram was involved).

Another clue which held me up (and gave me a giggle into the process) was my last one in YOUR – before getting this (eventually in the same way as Gaufrid) I tied “yeut” which, when googled, rendered “to wake up in bed with someone and not realise how you got there” from the Urban Dictionary. I wonder if this one will eventually make it into a crossword in the future?

4. superkiwigirl says:

A second bite of the cherry (if that’s allowed?)

I have spent the past couple of hours pondering over the YOUR clue (I know, someone tell this woman to get a life). Whilst I have no problem whatsoever with the ‘old = yore’ homophone, and assumed that was intended when eventually I arrived at the solution, I have to admit to being puzzled by the apparent definition here. Can someone explain to me the context in which the phrase ‘the typical’ could be substituted for YOUR? The more that I’ve thought about this, the odder it seems to me, so what am I missing, please?

5. Gaufrid says:

Hi superkiwigirl

I justified the definition ‘the typical’ in 11dn from one of the definitions for ‘your’ in Chambers, namely: “Used to denote a person or thing of a particular well-known class or type, the typical or ordinary (usu implying some contempt; informal)”.

6. superkiwigirl says:

Hi Gaufrid,

Thanks for this (I’d better not say “your” in the circumstances) explanation – I suppose we are into the realms of the (Cockney?) “your actual” or something similar. In any event, it’s there in black and white, so the clue is unimpeachable.

And I really must now get myself a Chambers …

7. Tees says:

It is indeed in Chambers as ‘the typical’ so we can have no problem with it. I suppose it tends to be used with one or other of the qualifiers ‘usual’, ‘normal’ etc (as in, ‘money in spades to bomb Libya, but nothing for Public Services – that’s your typical Tory government’), but ‘that’s your Tories’ would seem to be perfectly as good, or better as a substitute.

Your typical good puzzle from Anax I would say, with foot off cryptic gas as befits the IoS mode.

Re ‘your’: I remember when I did ‘Hamlet’ for A Level it being stressed that, in the well-known quotation,

‘There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.’

Hamlet was not referring to Horatio’s personal brand of philosophy.

9. Wanderer says:

Thanks Simon and Anax, and to all who cleared up YOUR which I got without understanding.

I enjoyed this as always, nothing to add to other comments but I just wanted to register my admiration for the remarkable SIBERIAN TIGER.

10. Stella Heath says:

Eileen mentioned 5d, but if you read the central two columns, you get YOUR MARRIAGE, RICHMOND PARK :)

Thanks for the blog, Simon, and to Anax for an enjoyable puzzle

11. anax says:

Evening all
    Just watching the MUFC/MCFC highlights and decided 225 is an infinitely nicer place to be. Thanks to Simon for an excellent blog and to all for your kind comments. Glad there wasn’t excessive confusion over YOUR – it was questioned at editing stage and I concocted a justification (good job really; it’s not one of those words with lots of clue/def possibilities).
    The thematic content is no more than has been identified so far. I wanted to keep it gentle and modest. General themes are fine, but personal ones are likely to be lost on the great majority solvers, so I held back as much as I could.

12. caretman says:

I echo the thanks to all here for elucidating YOUR which I got only from the message in the center columns (and the crossing letters, of course). And thanks to Anax for some excellent clues. I particularly liked the cd for PRICE WAR and the &lit for SIBERIAN TIGER was excellent. A very enjoyable solve!

Thanks for dropping in, Anax.

YOUR was my last one in but I was perfectly happy when I saw it. [So often it's the four-letter words!]

“I wanted to keep it gentle and modest…. I held back as much as I could.” .. doesn’t sound like you! ;-) but I know you’re talking about themes here and, as I implied above, I thought the balance was perfect. Thanks again – I loved it!