Posted by Pete Maclean on August 11th, 2011
Prize puzzle from the Weekend FT of July 30
I offer my congratulations and best wishes to John Halpern, our very own Mudd (a.k.a. Paul, Dada and Punk — see our Setters page), on his marriage to Taline, which event this puzzle celebrates. As explained in a footnote to the crossword, their names are hidden in the rows of the puzzle.
I found the puzzle fairly challenging, partly perhaps from a couple of obscure words being used to serve as carriers of the embedded names and partly perhaps because I am unfamiliar with the cluing styles of Dogberry and Io. I had to resort to pattern lookups and dictionaries for several clues, notably 10A (CHORDATA), 27A (EURYDICE) and 12D (INDIVIDUALS). My favourite clues here are 14A (ADAM) and 27A (EURYDICE).
8. BALLROOM – ALL (general public) in BROOM (cleaner)
9. UDDERS – distorted homophone (“others”)
10. CHORDATA – CH (companion) + OR (alternative) + DATA (information). Chordata is a phylum that comprises true vertebrates and animals having a notochord. Now you want to know what a notochord is, don’t you?
11. LINEAR – A (article) in LINER (ship)
13. SPELLBOUND – SPELL (express letters) + BOUND (sure)
14. ADAM – A (a) + DAM (parent). And a semi-&lit.
17. ABETTAL – A (a) + B (second) + LATTE (coffee) backwards
19. INEXACT – I (one) + AC (account) in NEXT (succeeding)
22. GASP – AS (when) in GP (doctor)
24. UNKINDNESS – anagram of NUN KISSED N. “Newton” here refers to the unit of force, abbreviated as N.
26. STALIN – anagram of ALIST + N (name)
27. EURYDICE – RUE (regret) backwards + [hubb]Y + DICE (great risk). Another semi-&lit.
28. EUROPA – anagram of [s]OU[r] RAPE
29. ULTIMATA – A (a) + T (time) in TAMIL (Sri Lankan) backwards + U (university)
1. ABSCISSA – A (a) + BSC (graduate) + IS (island) + SA (South American)
2. PLIOCENE – anagram of POLICE[m]EN
3. CREDULITY – anagram of RULED in CITY (financiers)
4. CONTROLLING – CONT[i] (I dropped actor Tom) + ROLLING (like a stone)
5. AD-LIB – hidden words
6. LEGEND – double/cryptic definition
7. ASHRAM – ASH (tree) + RAM (collision)
12. INDIVIDUALS – IN (in) + VI (6) + DUAL (of two) both in DIS (hell). Dis is an alternate name for Satan or the god of the Underworld — which is slightly different from hell itself.
15. ARC – A (a) + RC (Pope-supporting, i.e. Roman Catholic)
16. DEADLY SIN – anagram of SADLY + I (one) in DEN (place of iniquity)
18. BRA – BRA[in] (intelligence lacking in)
20. AMERICAN – anagram of CINERAMA. Refers to the movie “American Beauty”.
21. TESSERAE – EAR (auditor) + ES (opponents — as in bridge) + SET (fixed) all backwards
22. GOSPEL – GO (energy) + SPEL[l] (charm left out)
23. STAIRS – [jed]I in STARS (galaxy)
25. HIPPY – double definition