Independent on Sunday 1,121 by Hypnos

Posted by Uncle Yap on August 14th, 2011

Uncle Yap.

Wow! Hypnos three weeks in a row. Let’s hope the IOS does not follow a four-setters cycle since the four bloggers do … then we will end up blogging the same setter. Nothing negative, Hypnos, but one on a regular diet of the choicest caviar and pate de foie gras would welcome an occasional change to steak and kidney pie :-) As usual, Hypnos’s puzzle is quite entertaining and none too difficult

Last time I was here, I alluded to a possibility of not being able to continue blogging this delightful series of IOS puzzles. This was due to inability to access the puzzle on-line until one week later when the blog is due. Thanks to Gaufrid and another kind soul who have provided alternative early access, I am now able to continue. I also take the opportunity to thank Mike Hutchinson aka eimi, the Indy crossword editor for providing me the IOS puzzles during the early days of my involvement with IOS blogs.

ACROSS
1 COST Cha of COS (a crisp long-leaved lettuce introduced from the Aegean island of Cos) T (first letter of tomato)
3 EGOCENTRIC Ins of OC (must be for ocean although Chambers, my crossword bible does not support this abbreviation) in E (European) GENT (chap) + RICH minus H (largely well-heeled)
9 APEX ha
10 QUANTIFIED Cha of Mary QUANT (fashion designer) IF (provided) I (Independent) & ED (editor, journalist)
11 STANDOFFISH Like a stand-off (a rugby halfback who stands away from the scrum as a link between scrum-half and the three-quarters )
15 ODDLY O (old) DD (Doctor of Divinity, theologian) LY (extreme letters from LaitY)
16 MARCO POLO Ins of A RC (Roman Catholic) + OP (opus, work) in MO (moment, second) LO (look) for a merchant-traveller from Venice (1254-1324) who made pioneering excursions to Central Asia and China.
17 TASK FORCE Ins of ASK FOR (request) in T (time) & CE (Church of England or Anglicans)
18 RHINO dd money and animal
19 COUNTRY CLUB Cha of COUNTRY (land) CLUB (driver, say)
23 AVARICIOUS Ins of AR (Arab) in A VICIOUS (Sid Vicious, born John Simon Ritchie 1957-1979) was an English musician best known as the bassist of the influential punk rock group Sex Pistols
24 HALO HALON (compound) minus N (new)
25 AT LONG LAST Ins of L (lecturer) in A TONG (Chinese secret society) + Ins of AS (when) in LT (IVR code for Lithuania)
26 SIZE Sounds like SIGHS (yearns) a weak glue or gluey material used for stiffening paper or rendering it sufficiently water-resistant to accept printing ink

DOWN
1 CHATSWORTH CHATS (informal conversations) WORTH (merit) Chatsworth House is a stately home in North Derbyshire, England. It is the seat of the Duke of Devonshire.
2 STEWARDESS Ins of WARD (charge) in STEEL minus L (a lot of strength) + SS (ship)
4 GRUFF Ins of R (Republican) in GUFF (ridiculous talk)
5 CONCIERGE Ins of I (island) in CONCERN (business) minus N + GE (rev of EG, exempli gratia, for example)
6 NEIGHBOURLY *(rough line by)
7 RAID R (last letter of larder) AID (help)
8 CEDE Alternate letters from CrEw DiEt
12 DAY OF ACTION Ins of A Y (year) in DO (party) FACTION (dissenting group)
13 MODIGLIANI Ins of G (good) in *(maid in oil) Amedeo Clemente Modigliani (1884–1920) was an Italian artist who worked mainly in France. Primarily a figurative artist, he became known for paintings and sculptures in a modern style characterized by mask-like faces and elongation of form.
14 GO FOR BROKE GO FOR (sounds like gofer, junior employee) BR (brother) OKE (a clipped form of okay, certainly)
16 MARSUPIAL *(A FAIR SLUMP minus F, last letter of grief) A euro is also a wallaroo, any of several types of large kangaroo (marsupial).
20 TRUSS ha
21 RAJA Rev of A JAR (drink) for an Indian or Malay king/prince/lord (in days gone by, part of the landed gentry or old landlord)
22 BAIL B (bachelor) AIL (trouble) security given to procure the release of an accused person by assuring his or her subsequent appearance in court

Key to abbreviations
dd = double definition
dud = duplicate definition
tichy = tongue-in-cheek type
cd = cryptic definition
rev = reversed or reversal
ins = insertion
cha = charade
ha = hidden answer
*(fodder) = anagram

6 Responses to “Independent on Sunday 1,121 by Hypnos”

1. Tokyo Colin says:

Many thanks Uncle Yap for the usual comprehensive and meticulous blog. Since I solve everything online (not many English papers at my local newsagent), this arrived at my 9 a.m., just in time to keep me from dozing off during my post morning run lie-down. I know what it is like to run in KL but for 2 months of the year it is worse in Tokyo where sunrise is still before 5 a.m. and it is 30C by 6:30.

Fortunately this was gentle and amusing. My favourite was SIZE.

At 16dn you comment that a EURO is also a wallaroo. I would suggest that since the Common Wallaroo has been known by that name for a very long time, that it would be fairer to say that a EURO is also a unit of currency. It reminds me of the jest at the time as to why the French, Germans et al were naming their new currency after an Australian marsupial. :)

And to be pedantic, the euro is a macropod, the same family as kangaroos, but is one of several species of wallaroo, a different genus.

2. superkiwigirl says:

Many thanks Uncle Yapp for your usual fine blog – I always find this entertaining as well as informative. I’m delighted to learn that you are able to continue blogging the IOS puzzle (though having been given an insight on Tuesday into your working method I wonder how you can find the time!) In any event, another well earned glass of Glen Morangie I’d say.

This was the usual fine puzzle from Hypnos too I thought – not too difficult, but plenty of good clues (I particularly liked STEWARDESS, DAY OF ACTION and MARCO POLO). I needed the blog for the explanation of MARSUPIAL, though, as I haven’t come across “euro” in this context before (strange that a kiwi wouldn’t have picked up on a joke involving the Australians – must be because in this instance they weren’t the butt of the jest!)

And now back to yesterday’s Araucaria, which is still refusing to yield!

3. Cumbrian says:

Thanks for the puzzle and the blog. 21d only yielded when I spotted the need for a J to finish the pangram; even then I tried forcing Java to fit the clue, having abandoned Cava. I’d never heard of a EURO as a type of marsupial, nor money as RHINO (which I tried in desperation as the only combination of letters I could think of to fit and confirmed with the check button). Googling resolved euro, but not rhino.

4. superkiwigirl says:

Thanks Cumbrian for pointing out the pangram.

I’m kicking myself for missing it after all the recent examples in both the Indy and Guardian!

5. Cumbrian says:

Googling rhino with money successfully threw up that rhino is indeed a very ancient term for money, along with this example:

Some, as I know,
    Have parted with their ready rhino.

The Seaman’s Adieu (1670)

There’s also a suggestion that it’s linked with the origin of “paying through the nose”, which seems reasonable as I’m not sure that the fearsome ungulate would’ve been widely known in 17th century England, whereas rhino- as in nose may well have been. The question now is which came first – rhino = money, or paying through the nose leading to money=rhino?

6. superkiwigirl says:

Hi Cumbrian,

What an interesting line of enquiry.

The link with “paying through the nose” sounds convincing to me, as it appears that the first rhino to make it to Britain only arrived in 1683. I am fond of a painting by the Venetian artist Pietro Longi called “Clara the Rhinceros” dating from 1751 (part of a series that he did depicting typical scenes of contemporary life in Venice). In this case the rhino is being viewed by an audience in the manner of a circus attraction, so even by the mid 18th C they were presumably still pretty much of a novelty in Europe.