Guardian 25,404 / Boatman

Posted by Eileen on August 18th, 2011

Eileen.

It’s five months since I blogged a Boatman puzzle and I commented then that we don’t see him often enough. There have been only two in between, so that’s certainly true!

We know to expect a theme from Boatman – and what an enjoyable one here: that well-known crossword enthusiast, Inspector Morse! The first two rows spell out A MURDER MYSTERY USES TITLE TRACK and, apparently, as I read in the Guardian’s ‘Notes and Queries’  the title music spells out ‘Inspector Morse’ and incidental music actually bleeps the killer’s name when the penny drops for Morse.

Quite apart from the theme, which crops up all over the place, together with references to shooting films, there are some excellent clues, as ever with Boatman. For the second week running, there are a couple that I can’t explain at the moment: this time, I plead the fact of waiting for / being interrupted by A Level / AS Level results from my granddaughter and grandson respectively [now both in and all that could be wished for] to account for impaired concentration and a delayed blog!

I enjoyed this puzzle hugely – many thanks, Boatman!

1.18  A MURDER OF CROWS: great anagram [recipe] of SOUR CREAM F WORD: last year, I blogged a Brendan puzzle themed round collective nouns and I suspected I might be in for another one here, as this was my first entry – but no.
5   MYSTERY: MY STORY [Boatman’s tale] with the O replaced [love lost] by E [last letter of life]
10  USES: this came to me only as I was writing this: ‘us emphatically’ is ‘ourselves’ and taking the letters of ‘lover’ from that gives USES – brilliant!
11  TITLE TRACK: TIT [songbird] + LET [suffered] + RACK [distress] Edit: thanks to DoughHug and Geoff for pointing out that this is another ‘lift and separate’ clue, like those I admired at 4 and 7dn: the definition is ‘eponymous song’ and TIT is the bird
12  DEXTER: Colin Dexter, the author of Morse, who killed off his hero by a heart attack, a death that was not at all sinister: the cryptic element is that, in heraldry, dexter is the right-hand side of a shield and sinister the left
13  ENDEAVOR: a lovely clue! Morse’s [long-concealed] first name was Endeavour [his mother being a Quaker and his father an admirer of Captain James Cook]: here, the U [uniform] is removed in the US spelling of endeavour [venture]
14  OSCILLATE: LATE [dead] after anagram of COIL round S[ergeant]
16  CLANG: CLAN [faction] + [shootin]G
17  MORSE: MORSE [l]
19  SHUBUNKIN: BUNK [berth] in SHUN [give a wide berth]: I’m not quite sure how to fit the I in: taking it as ‘a’ doesn’t really work. This was a new one on me but it’s a pretty goldfish
23  SCHEMATA: anagram of A SCAM THE
24  MALLET: ALL [everyone] in MET [got together]
26  MONTE CARLO: anagram of ETC NO MORAL: craps is a gambling game in which a player rolls two dice
27  WRAP: anagram of WAR + P[eace]: a film director would say, ‘It’s a wrap’ [or ‘It’s in the can’] at the end of shooting
28  ASTRIDE: [f]AST RIDE – quick spin using no f[orce]
29  OFFSIDE: anagram of FIELDS OF, minus L [middle of England]: the definition is ‘trap for attacker’ but I’m a woman, so not expected to understand.

2   MISTERS: T [last letter of ‘violent’] in MISERS [those who give nothing away]
3   RESET: RE [sapper] + SET [location of shooting]
4   ENTHRAL: anagram of HALL RENT, minus one L [pound off]: nice misdirection in ‘entrance hall’
  YIELDS: anagram of Y[ard] IS LED
7   TARPAULIN: anagram [‘surprisingly’] of PARTIAL UN: perhaps my favourite clue, which made me laugh
8   RACCOON: CO [firm] + ON under reversal of CAR
9   STREET THEATRE: I’m struggling here: the definition is ‘drama at no stage’ and there’s ST [way] and a couple of TREEs but I’m afraid I can’t tease it out.
15  INSPECTOR: P [copper] in INSECT [bug] + OR [gold]
20  BUMP OFF: double / cryptic definition
21  ICELAND: C[risis] in anagram [upset] of DENIAL: a reference to the ongoing banking crisis
22  RANCID: RAN [carried on] + CID [detectives]
25  LEWIS: L [novice] + anagram [exceptionally] of WISE to give Morse’s side-kick, Detective Sergeant, now himself promoted to Inspector

46 Responses to “Guardian 25,404 / Boatman”

1. jackkt says:

Straightforward apart from 10ac. I thought USES most likely but couldn’t justify it and I’m still not convinced that purpose (singular)= uses (plural) although perhaps I haven’t thought it through. I had also considered ISIS in view of the puzzle’s theme, not that it fitted with anything in the clue itself.

2. Frank says:

Thanks Eileen, and to Boatman for a super puzzle. Could 9d have “heat” as police search (as in “wait till the heat dies down”) among the trees?

3. Gaufrid says:

Thanks Eileen
    In 19ac I concluded that the wordplay had to be ‘a’ = ‘I’.

9dn is STREET (way) HEAT (police search) in TRE[es] (some trees).

I had that thought, Frank, but there seems to be an E missing.

And now Gaufrid has ridden to the rescue – many thanks. I couldn’t see the STREET for the trees! :-)

5. Mystogre says:

Thanks Eileen. I enjoyed this and it is the first from Boatman I have solved in one sitting.

I do share some of your puzzlement. The fish was a new word for me. And I could not see how the I got not it, unless he was dropping ends to two words – SHU’ and BUNKIN’. For 9d, I used STREET in it’s entirety and then added the police THEATRE of operations for the search bit. But both ideas are somewhat suspect.

Best clue? To many really, although I did think he was a little naughty in 7ac to position the UN the way he did. But it was a great clue. Add the birds to that. Great fun right through.

6. molonglo says:

Thanks Eileen. I don’t share your enthusiasm for this, partly out of frustration with the only one I couldn’t get, the 19a goldfish which eluded every research effort, and called to mind yesterday’s discussion on esoteric answers. I did get the Morse references, but 13a was pretty recherche’. Not thrilled with 10a either, or the ‘search’ in 9d. Heat=police, okay.

7. tupu says:

Thanks Eileen and boatman.

Same difficulties as some others. I am annoyed with myself not to have got shubunkin which eluded me despite getting the bunk idea and vaguely remembering it but not quite making the final step (I missed the shun part).

I missed the parsing of uses – bravo Eileen! I wondered about ‘usus’ but abandoned it.
    I assumed that 27 was wrap in the sort of sense given but my old Chambers did not give that meaning.

Some excellent clues not least 10a and 19a (in retrospect). I also liked the Morse theme e.g. 12a, 13a, and also 4d and 19d.

8. Andrew says:

Thanks for the great blog Eileen. I found this slightly easier than some of Boatman’s offerings, but quite a challenge nevertheless. I’m sorry to say I missed the Nina in the across answers, so thanks for pointing that out.

Of course Morse is a very crossword-related theme, with Colin Dexter being a prominent Azed competitor and the names of the characters coming from his rivals – Morse from Sir Jeremy Morse, former chairman of Lloyds Bank, for example.

12ac reminded me of the marching Roman soldiers in Carry On Cleo – “Sinister, dexter! Sinister, dexter!”

9. Roger says:

Hi Eileen. Agree with Gaufrid Re 9d and 19a (have to be quick here, don’t you !) … and reference the OFFSIDE trap, it’s rather nicely demonstrated in The Full Monty should you wish …

I like the sentiment expressed at 27a, the craftiness of TARPAULIN and in the context of today’s theme, the double meaning of ‘copper’ at 15d … a shame Inspector Mallett has 2 Ts else he could be in there too.

Thanks Mr Boatman. Great puzzle. 5a sounds a tad enigmatic.

10. Bryan says:

Many thanks Eileen & Boatman, this was very enjoyable even though inevitably I couldn’t solve SHIBUNKIN – despite an assumption of BUNK and with all the interlocking letters.

It’s that fatal combination of obscure plus foreign.

And to think that I once had a fish pond and an indoor tank!

11. crypticsue says:

Very enjoyable once I had worked out what the theme was. I had no problem with the fish as we have a large number of them in our pond. Thanks to Eileen and Boatman.

12. liz says:

Thanks for the blog, Eileen, and congratulations to your grandchildren! I found this quite a challenge but enjoyed it very much. A lovely use of the theme, although I didn’t spot the nina. Shubunkin rang a v v distant bell but had to cheat to get the last letter. Also failed to spot the tortuous wordplay at 10ac…

13. Giovanna says:

Thanks, Eileen and Boatman.

This was another enjoyable puzzle and I spotted the nina for once! We seem to be having a good run at the moment.

Congratulations to your grandchildren.

Giovanna

14. gm4hqf says:

Thanks Eileen & Boatman

This one was too tough for me. Couldn’t get TITLE TRACK and STREET THEATRE so had no earthly hope of getting SHUBUNKIN. Definitely my new word for today.

15. Robi says:

Nice puzzle; I’ll forgive SHUBUNKIN as a good way to use seven letters in Scrabble in front of ‘in!’ (but I probably will forget the word by next week.)

Thanks, Eileen and congrats to the grandchildren :) ; I’m glad you parsed USES for me – clever clue. Thanks also to Gaufrid for sorting out STREET THEATRE. I don’t think I knew, or remembered, Morse’s name was ENDEAVOuR.

I liked the simple MALLET for its clear surface and many others were satisfying once they had been resolved.

16. Boatman says:

Good spotting from everyone today of all the hidden entertainment – including the happy accidents! Glad you enjoyed it.

I did hesitate for a moment over that fish, but it’s such a lovely word: isn’t it worth a little pain from time to time to discover something new?

And no raised eyebrows over the American spelling in 13Ac? Irresistible on this occasion, but I wouldn’t want this to become a habit, you understand.

17. DougHug says:

Many thanks Eileen – I wasn’t going to get USES or SHUBUNKIN even if I bunked off work all afternoon.

I thought 11a required some crafty parsing as well as 7d i.e. the definition was “Eponymous song” and it was just “bird” that gave TIT?

18. Dave Ellison says:

Thanks Eileen and Boatman.

Managed most of it on the bus in the way in. We had a couple of the 19a fish we called Chubby and Dinkey, but I couldn’t remember the spelling (if I ever knew it); we had to rename the cat Chubbier, eventually.

I thought 10a must be USES, but couldn’t see why.

Failed on 24a: I though the club was MED, and was going to look up MALLED (= Got together, as in a mall!) when I got home.

19. Geoff says:

Thanks, Eileen.

And Boatman – I have been away for a while and it was great to have this puzzle to come back to. Full of excellent clues with great surfaces. If you’re still there, Mister Mariner, why do you delight us so infrequently?

Once I had the crossing letters B and N in 19a, BUNK for ‘berth’ popped out at me and SHUBUNKIN swam hazily out of the depths of my memory, though I had to check it in the dictionary because the ‘a’/I device foxed me.

As DougHug points out at #17, 11a (‘songbird’) as well as 7d (‘unsurprisingly’) both require words to be split in order to parse their clues. So does 1,18: CROWS are ‘black birds’ and not ‘blackbirds’! Personally, I love this device.

Last in was 10a, which I decided had to be USES but I couldn’t parse. A cheeky indirect subtractive anagram!

20. chas says:

Thanks to Eileen for the blog. I had actually found SHUBUNKIN but could not see why. :(

I have never seen Inspector Morse (I have heard of him) so the theme passed me by.

My favourite was MISTERS

21. Andrew says:

Boatman – I don’t know about anyone else, but I have no objections to specifically American spellings when they are clearly indicated, as ENDEAVOR was here. Likewise I agree that SHUBUNKIN is a great addition to anyone’s vocabulary, even though it’s somewhat sui generis and therefore unlikely to figure in my conversation in the foreseeable future.

22. Geoff says:

Like Dave Ellison, I first opted for MALLED for 24a: ALL within (Club) MED, but had to revise this when neither Chambers or the SOED supported me.

23. Median says:

Having spotted the theme early on, I made things more difficult for myself by wondering for a while whether 19a was WHODUNNIT. The fact that I couldn’t even begin to parse this eventually persuaded me otherwise. Like you, Eileen, I particularly liked TARPAULIN.

Thanks for all the comments [I’ve been out for most of the day] and to Boatman for dropping in. I don’t see why 13ac should cause raised eyebrows: as I said, I thought it was a very clever clue!

Special thanks to DoughHug and Geoff for pointing out my slip at 11ac [corrected now].

[Thanks, too, for the congratulations. :-)]

25. otter says:

Thanks, Eileen, for an excellent blog, and thanks, Boatman, for an enjoyable puzzle.

I think I’m less besotted than you, Eileen with Boatman’s cluing, although I enjoyed this well enough. The only clue which really stood out for me was A MURDER OF CROWS, which I thought was lovely and extremely clever. Apart from that, it all seemed pretty standard fare, albeit with a good mixture of difficulties and some good surfaces. The various uses of ‘location of shooting’ and ‘detective’ added a bit of fun, but the Morse them didn’t do much for me, and I’m not sure about this ‘a murder mystery uses title track’ thing – that doesn’t seem to me to suggest a reference to the Morse theme containing the Morse for ‘Morse’ (which I thought was pretty well known). But never mind.

USES I thought, far from brilliant, one of those which gets a bit too tenuous, where there’s one step too far in the wordplay, if you see what I mean; and therefore too tricksy to be fair. I got it from the definition, but failed to see the wordplay, so thanks for the explanation. Not particularly keen on seeing US spellings for common words (ENDEAVOR) in the grid, although that didn’t cause me a problem.

Other than that it seemed to be mostly anagrams, chains and insertions, quite a few with a letter (or two) removed. There were undoubtedly some well worded clues, and decent surfaces, but I think I must be missing something if this is as wonderful as you’ve said it is. Still, I don’t want to quibble, because I enjoyed solving it; I’m just not sure what makes Boatman’s puzzles stand out from the crowd – apart from A MURDER OF CROWS, of course.

Am I the only person not to have been troubled by SHUBUNKIN? I spent a few childhood years as a keen keeper of fish, although I never kept fancy goldfish, I remember walking past the racks of tanks of ‘Shubs’, ‘Mollies’ and so on on my way to the tropical marine section, so this came fairly naturally. I also don’t mind I for ‘a’ in a clue – at least, it’s frequently seen. There’s an equivalence between ‘a’ = ‘one’ = ‘I’ (in Roman numerals) which seems acceptable to me.

I admit that on quite a few clues I took the definition to be part of the wordplay and vice versa, so there must be some good misdirection going on there.

I did think that P for ‘copper’ was a bit cheeky – PC, perhaps, but not just ‘P’, surely? – although it didn’t hold me up in getting the clue because, again, it seemed fairly obvious what the answer would be.

I’m surprised, given the Morse theme, that the fish chosen wasn’t Grayling, but there you go.

Anyway, thanks for an enjoyable puzzle, and thanks for the blog which enlightened me in the couple of clues I didn’t manage completely to tease out (was also caught out by the hidden ‘un’ in TARPAULIN).

Glad you got good exam news, by the way.

Hi otter

‘Besotted’ is perhaps rather strong!

P = copper is nothing to do with policemen: it’s P = penny.

27. scchua says:

Thanks Eileen and Boatman for a most enjoyable theme and puzzle.

Just to echo all above comments about the brilliant clues. Required a break and a half (tackled the FT during that time), in order to complete this, with parsing, with the last one in, SHUBUNKIN, needing a Google search. Favourites were those with the split word clues & USES, with a little hesitation, before figuring out the parsing, becuase of the “us” already in the clue.

Btw jackkt@1, in case you still have the doubt about the plural “uses” (and I don’t think anyone has so far has explicitly addressed it), I think it’s “value (of use) and purpose (to use)” to give the plural.

28. RCWhiting says:

Thanks all
    Wow! That was a real treat and a solid challenge.
    Word splitting (un/surprisingly etc) seems not substantially different from the general rule that punctuation can be used to mislead. After all it is only the omission of a space.
    I do not like the a/1 in 19ac. Is it possible (naval link) that it refers to the fact that cabins often have two berths (bunks and so one might be “bunk 1″.
    Maybe Eileen has just assumed this and I am being thick but in 10ac can we take the two synonyms – value and purpose – as the definition for use.

Hi scchua and RCWhiting [it’s great to see you happy! :-) ]

Re uses: I’m not sure I analysed this too closely – I was so glad to see the wordplay! – but it ‘felt’ right, cf Hamlet’s

‘How weary, stale, flat and unprofitable
    Seem to me all the uses of this world!’

which was ringing in my head as I blogged.

30. tupu says:

Re uses

I take the point about value + purpose but I was quite happy with this simply on the basis of the common expression that someone or something has its/her/his uses. We don’t say it has its use.

31. caretman says:

Thanks, Eileen, for elucidating so much that eluded me. I worked out the theme, but since I have not read or seen the Inspector Morse oeuvre, I knew that there were many layers of meaning that I was missing. For example, there were a couple of clues such as 13a that I simply couldn’t figure out other than from a mix of crossing letters and either pieces of wordplay or definition. With the additional information you and others here have supplied, I see now how well it all fits together. It seems to me this was a tour de force. Thanks to Boatman for this.

I agree with otter @25 that 10a was rather too indirect. I would have called ‘ourselves’ a reflexive pronoun requiring an antecedent, so I dislike ‘us emphatically’ = ‘ourselves'; at best it might be ‘us emphatically’ = ‘us, ourselves’, but I may be too stodgy.

But other than that quibble, there were excellent pieces to the puzzle. I liked 7d when the penny dropped; I was thinking, ‘TARPAULIN would fit the definition but how could that work? …Oh!” I had similar moments in 12a and 9d (which I parsed like Gaufrid @3). And, of course, the more moments like that the better the puzzle.

I’m glad I’m not alone in initially considering MALLED for 24a. And SHUBUNKIN was new to me; I got it by finally figuring the wrapper would be SHUN and then had to search through online sources for something that would match.

32. jackkt says:

Thanks for the comments re ‘uses’.

SHUBUNKIN came up on Eggheads this evening, a repeat from a couple of years ago..

33. Ann Kittenplan says:

Thanks Eileen, and Boatman for a real work out. Didn’t get USES – convoluted clueing, DEXTER – not a fan of Inspector Morose ;-), or SHUBUNKIN – great word. Un/surprisingly adds a new dimension for me. Seems fair as long as we’re on the look out for it. ENDEAVOR was fairly clued but im(h)o shouldn’t be in an English crossword >:-(

Hi caretman

I hope you’re still there.

I’m really impressed that you found so much enjoyment in the puzzle with no knowledge of the theme!

I know that you’re located on the other side of the pond but your comments since you have joined us lead me to believe that you would really enjoy reading / watching the exploits of today’s hero. This is not an advertising site but may I direct you to Guardian 25,402 9ac?

35. Harters says:

Thanks Eileen and thanks Boatman!

I’ve never posted here before but have frequently used the forum as a learning tool, so hello all.

As a relatively inexperienced solver this was the perfect level of difficulty for me. Completed all but “Shubunkin”, and liked the theme despite only having a passing knowledge of morse.. Absolutely loved the neat anagram of 1ac

Looking forward to the next boatman puzzle!

36. caretman says:

Hi Eileen.

Thanks, I might just do that. I just finished rereading ‘Godel, Escher, Bach’ and need a new book beside the bed.

Hi Harters

“As a relatively inexperienced solver this was the perfect level of difficulty for me.”

Wow – well done! Hope to hear from you again. :-)

Hi Caretman

Yes, read the books – excellent! – but you must also watch John Thaw – surely [for me, anyway] sublime casting!

38. Harters says:

Oh and thanks for the parsing of “Uses” – so clever!

39. blaise says:

… — …

40. otter says:

Oh, P = penny, of course. Thanks for the correction, Eileen. I withdraw my quibble (grin).

‘And, as I’ve said, I think there’s nothing wrong in cluing the American spelling of a word by giving ‘US’ as the definition!’

No, nothing wrong in terms of cluing per se, but I think I feel about filling the grid with American spellings the way I do trade marks, abbreviations and ‘noises’ such as ‘splosh’ and ‘oof’ (possibly not those two examples, but they are two which have come to mind), which sometimes appear. It just smacks to me of desperation to fit any old thing into the space provided, given the crossing letters.

But, as I said above, I don’t wish to complain about this puzzle – my quibbles are minor ones in a puzzle which I enjoyed solving. I just think that if there is something which sets Boatman’s puzzles above the other Guardian setters, I must be missing it.

41. Katherine says:

Hi Eileen, if you are there.
    My husband has commented on your excellent blogs before [Johngordonroy] but I haven’t. We live in the USA and he’s British. I’m a good Connecticut girl, just learning the delights of these crosswords. I finish most now with some of his help, and this was an old Guardian weekly he gave me to do. I needed some help but got them all myself eventually. We are currently watching the whole series of Morse on DVD so it was nice and timely. Gordon tells me that it is only later in the series that we discover Morse’s first name.

My only reason for writing, apart to thank you, was to suggest that Boatman could have made this crossword even better if he had changed the answer for 20d to something like DAMP OFF rather than BUMP OFF. I know BUMP OFF is slightly linked to the theme, but if the former had been used instead then the letters for 19A would have been ?H?D?N?I?, and instead of the obscure SHUBUNKIN, we could have had WHODUNNIT, a far more apt word for the puzzle.

Maybe I should be a compiler!!

I look forward to your future blogs, as I learn more.

Hi Katherine

Yes, I’m here – it’s good to hear from you and I hope we’ll hear more.

[Note to all [would-be] commenters: bloggers receive emails of all comments on their blogs, so it’s never too late!]

I’m impressed by your alternative entry for 19ac – that would have been wonderful! But I don’t think DAMP OFF [not an expression I’m aware of]] would have been a satisfactory alternative for BUMP OFF in the clue as it stands. ‘Bump off’ means to kill and a ‘bump off’ would be a ‘backstage sound effect’. I’ve only found [new to me] ‘damping off – a disease of seedlings: Chambers’, which might kill them off – but what about the ‘backstage sound effect’?

This was one of my favourite puzzles of the year. Morse is one of my literary heroes – how could he not be? – and then the TV adaptations, with the superb John Thaw [who else could it have been?] – and the music … – a Saturday night treat for so long! I’m sure you’re really enjoying watching those DVDs!

As I said, please drop in again! ;-)

43. Katherine says:

Hi Eileen
    Thanks for your reply.
    I realize that I wasn’t clear in my comment. I was suggesting DAMP OFF as an answer to a different clue for 20D. Say we had the following [I know its not perfect, I just put down my first ideas to try to include murder, misleading links to a killer etc.]:

20D: Remove Stetson, capture nearly seductive woman, will make shoot dead

Remove Stetson = DOFF, nearly seductive woman = [V]AMP; capture means include, so leading to the answer DAMP OFF.
    DAMP OFF does indeed make a shoot, as well as a seed dead. Damp Off is a verb in Collins.

Then we could have the alternative lovely clue for 19A as follows:

19A: Despicable person went around with nark initially, taken in by “Brains” – right mystery.

Despicable person is a HOUND; went around is an anagrind, leading to HODUN. nark initially is N. Brains is meant to deceive you about a gangster, but means “WIT” Use the indicator ‘taken in’ and you get WHODUNNIT. A police ‘mystery’ story written by Dexter – which means Right, as you undoubtedly know.

I hope you don’t think I’m being silly!

Love to converse with you again.

Hi Katherine

Sorry for misunderstanding you and thanks for your alternative suggestions. They’re rather tortu[r]ous – I’m glad I didn’t have to blog them! ;-)

45. Huw Powell says:

I came to this puzzle late, just found it in my stack last night unstarted. Banged my head against it for a bit and got about three words then gave up. Returned today and steadily ground out the answers.

Oddly, I knew nothing about the theme’s subject except that there is an Inspector Morse, but by the time I went and read up on him at wikipedia, I had already solved all the themed clues! Talk about fair cluing! DEXTER came from knowing sinister means left; LEWIS had to that once I had the W, etc. Of course there were quite a few penciled letters until the article confirmed how some of the words “fit in”.

As far as the SHUBUNKIN controversy, I can live with “a” = I, but would have preferred “one fish” in the clue.

Thanks for the blog and parsing USES for me, Eileen, and thanks Boatman for a very enjoyable murder mystery!

Hi Huw, if you’re still there

I’m impressed! Glad you enjoyed the puzzle when you got round to it.

Do try to get hold of some Morse DVDs!