Everyman No. 3385 (14th August)

Posted by The Trafites on August 21st, 2011

The Trafites.

Lorraine:  Good morning peeps,

I have to admit I did not do much of this weeks crossword due to fracturing two bones in my hand Saturday afternoon and was in too much pain to concentrate so Nick stepped in and saved the day.

O, I thought 9ac was very clever indeed!

Big thank you to Everyman for an enjoyable puzzle as usual.

1. Industrial action does for capital invested in good western (2-4)
GO-SLOW OSLO in G[ood] W[estern]
4. Albumen, for example, having surprising weight (3,5)
EGG WHITE E.G.+(WEIGHT*)
9. Nevertheless quits? Indeed (4,2)
EVEN SO EVENS[quits, as in 'double or quits']+O[indeed!]
10. Choose at random from actors, a great many (4,4)
CAST LOTS CAST[actors]+LOTS
12. Conductor of opera, popular in Northern Ireland (9)
TOSCANINI TOSCA+IN+NI
13. Power in early golf club (5)
SPOON P in SOON
14. Period of violent ups and downs as large wave hits vessel (6,7)
ROLLER COASTER ROLLER+COASTER
17. Objects loudly as I pick skunk off crossing opening in trees (5,2,1,5)
KICKS UP A STINK (AS I PICK SKUNK*)+T[rees]
21. Discover legendary king’s name (5)
LEARN LEAR+N
23. Mountain range is old – to me, anyway (9)
DOLOMITES (IS OLD TO ME)*
24. Very large carriage ahead of worker in charge (8)
GIGANTIC GIG[carriage]+ANT+IC
25. An endless job for TV presenter? (6)
ANCHOR AN+CHOR(e)
26. Hearing about a king staying longer than intended (8)
TARRYING TRYING around A+R
27. Spirit, make unknown (6)
BRANDY BRAND+Y
as opposed to BRAND X
1. Slum area has hospital within reach (6)
GHETTO H in GET TO
2. English poet and writers in short series (7)
SPENSER PENS in SER(ies)
3. Class to be trained in hurdles (9)
OBSTACLES (CLASS TO BE)*
5. Given an unsuitable role probing legal mix-up in old royal residence (6,6)
GLAMIS CASTLE MIS-CAST in (LEGAL*)
6. Victorian painter was keeping on the wagon (5)
WATTS TT in WAS
See -> George Frederic Watts
7. Resolve shown by press elsewhere (4,3)
IRON OUT IRON+OUT
8. Gertrude finally learning about wrongdoing in Hamlet’s castle (8)
ELSINORE (gertrud)E+(SIN in LORE)
11. Meat and dessert left by Scotsman and Scouser (12)
LIVERPUDLIAN LIVER+PUD+L+IAN
15. Historic region one must enter before being able to vote? (4,5)
ASIA MINOR I in (AS A MINOR)
16. See heartless Yank climbing through small window (8)
SKYLIGHT (Y(an)K<) in SLIGHT
18. Conservative golfer making a stupid mistake (7)
CLANGER C+[bernard]LANGER
19. Thicken soup in galley (7)
KITCHEN (THICKEN)*
20. Large bird coming from very large quarry (6)
OSPREY OS+PREY
22. Girl’s article on clubs in New York (5)
NANCY (AN+C[lubs]) in NY

13 Responses to “Everyman No. 3385 (14th August)”

1. Bryan says:

Many thanks Lorraine & Everyman, this was so perfectly straightforward that I didn’t save my notes.

Very sorry to hear of your accident. I hope that you are soon 100% again.

2. AJK says:

Managed this one without any aids. Flanks castle last one in.

Thanks, Lorraine – get well soon! (And thanks to Nick too.)

Like Bryan, found this perfectly straightforward – and if that sounds like damning with faint praise, it’s exactly the opposite. This was a well-constructed entry-level puzzle with a good variety of clue types that both a beginner and a more experienced solver could equally enjoy.

Thanks to Everyman.

4. Stella Heath says:

Thanks Lorraine, and get well soon.

This was enjoyable, and with three Shakespeare references – unusual for Everyman to give us a mini-theme.

Thanks to him as ever for my usual Sunday morning stroll in the park. Now on to today’s

5. Davy says:

Thanks Lorraine,

I hope your hand soon heals. Some great clues and smooth surfaces here. Particular favourites were CAST LOTS, TOSCANINI (very smooth), BRANDY (short and sweet), GHETTO, OBSTACLES (excellent anagram) and KITCHEN (as smooth as silk). Well done Everyman for keeping up such a high standard, week after week.

6. Robi says:

Good one; thanks to Lorraine and Nick. Hope the bones are mending.

7. thechillyaura says:

Hi all. Apologies if I’m missing something crashingly obvious but where does the ‘L’ come from in 16d…?

8. Joachim says:

@thechillyaura Looks like a typo — it’s SLIGHT for ‘small’ I think.

9. thechillyaura says:

Ah, of course it is! A facepalm moment there, I think…

10. Mystogre says:

Hope you heal fast Lorraine and thanks to Nick for stepping in. I took the window in 16d to be a LIGHT, so the small bit gave it the S.

The rest was a well set exercise. Difficulty about the usual and some lovely clues including those mentioned above. Thanks Everyman for keeping Sunday afternoons short and sweet, as well as keeping the resolve and hurdles in there.

11. Michael says:

Question, how in 20d, is OS equal to very large?

12. Lorraine says:

Michael@ 11

OS= outsize.

13. Michael says:

@ Lorraine,

Thanks, I’m getting into these cryptics, but it’s little things like that make it feel like cheating