Everyman N° 3,386 (21 August 2011)

Posted by PeterO on August 28th, 2011

PeterO.

A pleasant solve, with a good variety of clue types. A certain amount of general knowledge is required, but nothing seems to me to be too obscure, although in 11A we have the combination of wordplay more convoluted than most and a reference unfamiliar to me, at least.

1. US cash misused, in the exact sense of the word (2,4)
AS SUCH An anagram (‘misused’) of ‘US cash’
4. Religious festival in Amalfi (established) (6)
FIESTA Answer hidden in ‘AmalFI(ESTAblished).
8. Batting with dread after opener’s left out by mistake (2,5)
IN ERROR Charade of IN (‘batting’) + [t]ERROR (‘dread openers left out’).
10. Dance with a good man with balance (7)
BALLAST Charade of BALL (‘dance’ ) + ‘a’ + ST (‘good man’). A ship’s ballast keeps it on a even keel, and in that sense, I suppose, keeps it balanced.
11. Cricketer’s answer to question fed if bails dislodged (4,5)
ASIF IQBAL A (‘answer’) + envelope (‘fed’? I would expect the container and contents to be the other way around) of Q (‘question’) in SIFIBAL, an anagram (‘dislodged’) of ‘if bails’. Complicated and slightly dodgy clue for this cricketer.
12. Willow, very large one approaching centre of Limerick (5)
OSIER Charade of OS (outsize, ‘very large’) + I (‘one’) + ER (‘centre of LimERick).
13. Penny-pincher, clever to get in cheaper Hugo novel (3,10)
LES MISERABLES Envelope (‘to get in’) of MISER ABLE (‘penny-pincher’ ‘ clever’) in LESS (‘cheaper’).
16. Gricer’s hobby evident in film (13)
TRAINSPOTTING Double definition; a gricer (new to me) is a railway enthusiast, and the film is the critically acclaimed but grisly adaptation of Irvine Welsh’s novel.
20. Plus point of dog having no lead (5)
ASSET [B]asset (‘dog having no lead’).
22. Stingy person’s close call (4,5)
NEAR THING Charade of NEAR (‘stingy’) + THING (as in “old thing”, ‘person’).
23. Giant in goal hit out (7)
GOLIATH An anagram (‘out’) of ‘goal hit’.
24. Lunatic fan facing trial (7)
NUTCASE Charade of NUT (‘fan’) + (‘facing’) CASE (‘trial’).
25. Deal with Hungary, ultimately making a pact (6)
TREATY Charade of TREAT (‘deal’ or ‘deal with’) + Y (‘HungarY, ultimately’).
26. Key member given object (6)
LEGEND Charade of LEG (‘member’) + (‘given’) END (‘object’). Definition LEGEND: the explanatory words accompanying a diagram, say.
1. Plate turned up depicting beast (6)
ANIMAL A reversal (‘turned up’, in a down clue) of LAMINA (‘plate’).
2. Is place abroad memorable? (7)
SPECIAL An anagram (‘abroad’) of ‘is place’.
3. Boy, going after girl, behaves (7,2)
CARRIES ON A charade of CARRIE (‘girl’) + (‘going after’) SON (‘boy’). Behaviour can be bad!
5. One dimly lit? Not my house (5)
IGLOO Charade of I (‘one’) + GLOO[my] (‘dimly lit, not my’). We had another take on this in last week’s Independent by Anax:Northern dwelling, one with good bathroom.
6. Dog leaps in, playfully (7)
SPANIEL An anagram (‘playfully’) of ‘leaps in’.
7. Star taking chance after collapse of seat (8)
ASTERISK Charade of ASTE, an anagram (‘collapse’) of ‘seat’ + RISK (‘chance’).
9. Inferior performer with puppet may get it in the neck (6,5)
RABBIT PUNCH Charade of RABBIT (‘inferior performer’ at golf or cricket, say) + PUNCH (‘puppet’).
10. Slug on ground? This moves at high speed (6,5)
BULLET TRAIN Charade of BULLET (‘slug’) + TRAIN (‘ground’, perhaps as in “She was well grounded in science”).
14. Emerge carrying infant close to natural philosopher (9)
ARISTOTLE Envelope (‘carrying’) of TOT (‘child’) + L (‘close to naturaL‘) in ARISE (‘emerge’).
15. Respectable hand at cards (8)
STRAIGHT Double definition.
17. Forgive a bishop’s crack (7)
ABSOLVE Charade of ‘a’ + B (‘bishop’) + SOLVE (‘crack’, as a code).
18. Stern expert’s scowl (7)
GRIMACE Charade of GRIM (‘stern’) + ACE (‘expert’).
19. Approved of a deadly sin (6)
AGREED A charade of ‘a’ + GREED (‘deadly sin’, one of the seven).
21. A raising of glasses when drink’s passed round (5)
TOAST Envelope (‘passed round’) of AS (‘when’) in TOT (‘drink’).

7 Responses to “Everyman N° 3,386 (21 August 2011)”

1. Bryan says:

Many thanks PeterO & Everyman, this was very enjoyable.

I’d never heard of Gricer but, when the time came, the solution emerged from the available letters.

I struggled with 11a before ASIF IQBAL eventually occurred to me. I’d like to bet that he baffled many a puzzler.

My only query was 3d CARRIES ON which surely means ‘Misbehaves’ rather than ‘Behaves’?

2. Bamberger says:

Agree with Brian .
    “Stop carrying on!” means stop misbehaving.
    11a Didn’t think much of this.
    12aI didn’t know osier was a willow
    Took much longer than most weeks

3. Wolfie says:

Three weeks ago Everyman had ‘nutcase’ as a solution (defined by ‘fruitcake’). The following week I commented on the blog here, pointing out the inappropriate use of this term. Then, to my surprise, in last week’s Everyman ‘nutcase’ appeared again as a solution – this time defined by ‘lunatic’. It is inconceivable that this could have been Everyman’s response to a critic, so I can only assume that its rapid reappearance was a lapse by a usually impeccable setter. It’s still offensive to people with mental health problems though.

Thank you PeterO for the blog.

Thanks for blogging, Peter.

Usual good stuff; my favourites in this puzzle were IN ERROR for its story-telling cricketing surface, and SPANIEL.

Talking of cricket, I got ASIF IQBAL more or less straight away, because I’m a fan of the sport, but it does in retrospect look like the clue doesn’t quite work. I agree that ‘misbehaves’ would be a better definition of CARRIES ON.

(And Peter, if my recollection of where you live is correct, I hope all is okay with you at the moment – Irene looks like doing some serious damage over there.)

5. PeterO says:

Bryan – As I tried to say in the writeup, ‘behaves’ does not necessarily imply good behaviour; but certainly ‘misbehaves’ would do no damage to the clue, and would be more precise.

K’s D – Thank you for your concern. The eye of Irene at present is just to the south of Long Island. We have had bands of rain most of the night, with some wind, but only in the last half-hour have the gusts become fierce. So far there does not seem to be any real damage that I can see from my windows, although some have not been so lucky elsewhere on the island. The lights have flickered occasionally, and twice we have lost power for a second, enough to take my cable modem down. Here’s hoping that I can get this through.

6. Dave says:

I think this should be number 3386 not 3385

7. PeterO says:

Dave – thanks for pointing out the typo, which is now corrected.